'Ato: Impact of Tyson, Asafa Positive Tests on others '

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

'Ato: Impact of Tyson, Asafa Positive Tests on others '

Postby betterthanb4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/0 ... sain-bolt/

I had people asking me today, “How come Usain Bolt‘s not testing positive if all these other Jamaicans are?”
Wait a minute. They may run for the same country, but they’re not all sleeping in the same bed. Bolt and Powell obviously come from rival camps, Racers and MVP.
Bolt has never had anything remotely around him in either his junior or senior career indicating something like this. It’s not exactly fair to him to say, well, look at all these Jamaicans.
You can’t blame Bolt for something Powell does any more than you could have blamed Gay when Justin Gatlin tested positive in 2006.
I was in the sport at the time of BALCO, and I can name three or four guys who lined up with me on a weekly basis, who I considered my peers, who were very much involved in BALCO. Does that mean I was involved in BALCO? No.
Last edited by betterthanb4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
betterthanb4

Re: 'Ato: Impact of Tyson, Asafa Positive Tests on others '

Postby ATK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Usually cant copy and past the whole article into your post....

But even though they may get 6 months, they are pretty much done. The hype these past few days (month for VCB) has ruined their reputation. Depending on how their stories unfold, it would be pretty rough for many to be accepting of their return.
ATK

Postby tm71 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:15 pm

ATK wrote:Usually cant copy and past the whole article into your post....

But even though they may get 6 months, they are pretty much done. The hype these past few days (month for VCB) has ruined their reputation. Depending on how their stories unfold, it would be pretty rough for many to be accepting of their return.

It took Gatlin two years to be invited again in the
Diamond league meets and when he came back in 2010 he was 28. Next year VCB, gay and powell will all be 32 and by the next global meet 33 so on that sense at the very end of their career for sprinters. Btw govern interesting take on the issue by Boldon.
tm71

Postby zidan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 pm

And I co-sign with a lot or all of what Atto has stated. Just makes sense.
zidan

Postby betterthanb4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks for informing me. It has since been edited.
betterthanb4

Postby mrbowie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:56 pm

I see no reason why athletes should be allowed to use stuff that is not legal, whether it is contained in a supplement or not. There is no justification for this. The keeping up with the Jones mentality and the desire to extend one's career is not a justification for taking an edge. It is understandable, but still indefensible.
mrbowie

Postby toyracer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Perspective is important. VCB, Asafa and Tyson Gay should not be receiving equal sanctions.

Asafa tested positive for a stimulant.
VCB is for a diuretic.
Tyson Gay is not as stimulant, because stimulants are not illegal out-of-competition.

I do wish we knew what Tyson's substance is, but all things in time.
toyracer

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:09 pm

mrbowie wrote:I see no reason why athletes should be allowed to use stuff that is not legal, whether it is contained in a supplement or not. There is no justification for this. The keeping up with the Jones mentality and the desire to extend one's career is not a justification for taking an edge. It is understandable, but still indefensible.

Being illegal and being against WADA rules are entirely different things.

Stimulants are not illegal in New Zealand and presumably in most of not all countries.

I find it rather stupid that WADA allows the use of stimulants outside of competition but against the rules inside of the competition time-frame. I believe it should be within the rules all of the time or against the rules all of the time.
Tuariki

Postby gh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:38 am

betterthanb4 wrote:

Thanks for informing me. It has since been edited.

And subsequently slashed mightily by the mods. The "fair-use" theory of copyright law allows you to use a small excerpt. That plus the URL is what's acceptable.
gh

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:32 am

tm71 wrote:

Diamond league meets and when he came back in 2010 he was 28. Next year VCB, gay and powell will all be 32 and by the next global meet 33 so on that sense at the very end of their career for sprinters. Btw govern interesting take on the issue by Boldon.

Before her bust VCB indicated she would go on like Marleen Ottey, her hero, until old age.
eldanielfire

Postby tm71 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:08 am

Tuariki wrote:
mrbowie wrote:I see no reason why athletes should be allowed to use stuff that is not legal, whether it is contained in a supplement or not. There is no justification for this. The keeping up with the Jones mentality and the desire to extend one's career is not a justification for taking an edge. It is understandable, but still indefensible.

Being illegal and being against WADA rules are entirely different things.

Stimulants are not illegal in New Zealand and presumably in most of not all countries.

I find it rather stupid that WADA allows the use of stimulants outside of competition but against the rules inside of the competition time-frame. I believe it should be within the rules all of the time or against the rules all of the time.

usual crap we see from governing bodies. they should have a uniform policy or none at all.
tm71

Postby Megas15 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:35 pm

I still think something is VERY ODD!
One big fish (VCB) goes down and all of a sudden, a s#!+load of them go down...
Have we been too naive? Or is it coincidence?
Megas15

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
tm71 wrote:

Before her bust VCB indicated she would go on like Marleen Ottey, her hero, until old age.

Maybe she'll get off on an egregious technicality as well.
JumboElliott

Postby KevinM » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Megas15 wrote:Have we been too naive? Or is it coincidence?

Or is it that not a ton of testing was done in the Olympic buildup?

Anyone claiming naivity at this point is really claiming willful ignorance or stupidity. Time to get over the "she/he seems like a great gal/guy - I can't believe they would cheat" absurdity. People re complex, good folks do bad things, bad folks do good things, etc.
KevinM

Postby shivfan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 am

Asafa and sherone may also have been poorly advised by Paul Doyle, their manager, who seems to have been in conflict with Stephen Francis. Cue an I-told-you-so article with Francis, who's quick to point out that the X-man is not an MVP employee, but personally employed by Doyle to work with Powell and Simpson:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... orts2.html
shivfan

Postby toyracer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:02 am

Megas15 wrote:I still think something is VERY ODD!
One big fish (VCB) goes down and all of a sudden, a s#!+load of them go down...
Have we been too naive? Or is it coincidence?

The most troubling one is the Junior athlete that has tested positive for a SARM. This particular SARM is said to be used for "treatment of conditions such as muscle wasting, osteoporosis and benign prostatic hypertrophy", none of which are conditions one would expect a Junior aged athlete to be concerned with. The outcome of this one will be interesting.

The two throwers tested positive for a diuretic, but a different diuretic than the one VCB reportedly is positive for. The throwers diuretic is "used for the treatment of hypertension, congestive heart failure, symptomatic edema, diabetes insipidus, renal tubular acidosis, and the prevention of kidney stones", again not conditions one would expect healthy athletes to be concerned with.

By contrast, Asafa & Sherone tested positive for a stimulant, which is lower on the WADA scale of infractions, and is actually perfectly legal out-of-competition. The stimulant that Asafa & Sherone are positive for is known to be used in supplements like ALR's Hyperdrive 3.0, the supplement that got Brazilian rider Flavia Oliveira in trouble a few years ago. In her case the chemical name mythelsynephrine was actually listed on the ingredients list, so she definitely didn't do due diligence.

Naive? Perhaps. Coincidence? Maybe. Troubling? Surely. Especially in the case of the Junior and two throwers.
toyracer

Postby shivfan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:38 am

A sense of perspective for those who are sounding the bell to announce the burial of track and field athletics....

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/blog/why ... from-dead/
shivfan