Is there any athlete whose integrity is beyond doping?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Re: Is there any athlete whose integrity is beyond doping?

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:09 pm

TeWaio wrote:After the amazing comeback from cancer, I'd be gutted if Novlene Williams-Mills was +ve.

Millions said the same about some other famous athlete cancer survivor.
Tuariki

Postby dbirds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Felix and Trey Hardee
dbirds

Postby ATK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 pm

dbirds wrote:Felix and Trey Hardee

On Saturday, I bet many would put them on par with Tyson Gay.
ATK

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Mary Cain? If a high school junior was going to cheat, I find it implausible that he/she would go this far with it.
jazzcyclist

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Mary Cain? If a high school junior was going to cheat, I find it implausible that he/she would go this far with it.

OMG jazzcyclist - are you into self flagellation. You've just given aaronk another opening. Mind you, at least this time we will all be supporting aaronk as he writes another chapter in the continuing biography of young Miss Cain.
Tuariki

Postby rainy.here » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm not going to put my hand in the fire for her, but if Allyson Felix got caught doping I would thereafter assume that EVERYONE dopes. I'm not an american.
rainy.here

Postby croflash » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm not sure there is a correlation between the likelihood of doping and whether you are an asshole or the nicest person in the world.
croflash

Postby luther » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 pm

No. Unfortunately.

I'd like to know if there's an athlete that a rival/competitor would be willing to put their hand into this (hopefully) metaphorical fire for. Sadly, I would doubt it.

Allyson Felix went further than most in her interview last year with Piers Morgan - no "I can't worry about that, I must concentrate on myself" or similar cliches. I'd certainly put my hand very, very close to the fire for her.
luther

Postby Tuariki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:25 am

luther wrote:No. Unfortunately.

I'd like to know if there's an athlete that a rival/competitor would be willing to put their hand into this (hopefully) metaphorical fire for. Sadly, I would doubt it.

Allyson Felix went further than most in her interview last year with Piers Morgan - no "I can't worry about that, I must concentrate on myself" or similar cliches. I'd certainly put my hand very, very close to the fire for her.

Luther, I bet if Alison looked like Phyllis Diller instead of that Goddess of female sexuality, Cleopatra, I bet neither you nor any of the other testosterone challenged senior citizens inhabiting this forum would stick their wrinkled hands anywhere near that metaphorical fire. :lol:
Tuariki

Postby luther » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:33 am

Tuariki wrote:

Luther, I bet if Alison looked like Phyllis Diller instead of that Goddess of female sexuality, Cleopatra, I bet neither you nor any of the other testosterone challenged senior citizens inhabiting this forum would stick their wrinkled hands anywhere near that metaphorical fire. :lol:

Ouch.... Had to google Phyllis Diller. Double ouch... But in defence of my testosterone levels, I've seen athletes that in my opinion are better looking than Ms Felix who would send me running for a metaphorical firehose for our metaphorical fire.
luther

Postby Rog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:35 am

Like GH, I long ago adopted the mindset that everyone is doping. That way you supposedly can't be disappointed. Although I usually am.

If doping improves performance, then surely it is only logical that the athletes with the best performances are more likely to be doped. I am not remotely surprised about Tyson Gay, as he looks like he tried everything to be fast - his body looks abused, not healthy. Powell doesn't shock me either, although I didn't think he was so obvious as Gay.

The signs of drug use are most obvious among the women, and there are no top level female sprinters I would discount from suspicion. Either they have prominent adam's apples, masculine physiques, or the sort of androgynous appearances that you just don't see in everyday life. Or in some cases all three! So Veronica Campbell Brown doesn't surprise me either.

The thing is, I liked all three of them, and part of me will be sorry to see them disappear from the circuit. Have to say though I am less sorry to see Gay go, as his "I put my faith in someone and they let me down" patter seems designed to put the blame on someone else and absolve him from accountability, which is highly unlikely. I wish he would have said "I know what I did, I take responsibility for it". I think Gatlin and Lashawn Merritt would be more popular if they'd had the guts and the character to be honest and admit they knew what they were doing. Marion Jones is the supreme example of this self-serving hypocrisy, which is why she's maybe the most hated athlete of the last 20 years.

I wish these people would follow the example of Angella Issajenko, who admitted doping, explained why she'd done it, and told in great detail what it involved. If the other dopers did the same, maybe our sport - and ultimately, others - could finally come clean about the realities of drug use and face the issue openly, instead of the facade of the current situation.
Rog

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:02 am

One thing about that interview is that it was obvious that Allyson believed that some of her competitors were dopers. Add to this the fact that Felix has been a pro for ten years and has experienced defeat and disappointment, and we can assume that she's been subjected to the temptation to cheat. I wouldn't put my hand in the fire for any pro who has been subjected to the temptation to cheat. I'd be more willing to put my had in the fire for highly successful high school and college athletes who have yet to experience major defeat and disappointment.
jazzcyclist

Postby ATK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:50 am

Rog wrote:The signs of drug use are most obvious among the women, and there are no top level female sprinters I would discount from suspicion. Either they have prominent adam's apples, masculine physiques, or the sort of androgynous appearances that you just don't see in everyday life. Or in some cases all three! So Veronica Campbell Brown doesn't surprise me either.

This is kind of ridiculous...
ATK

Postby luther » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:20 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

One thing about that interview is that it was obvious that Allyson believed that some of her competitors were dopers. Add to this the fact that Felix has been a pro for ten years and has experienced defeat and disappointment, and we can assume that she's been subjected to the temptation to cheat. I wouldn't put my hand in the fire for any pro who has been subjected to the temptation to cheat. I'd be more willing to put my had in the fire for highly successful high school and college athletes who have yet to experience major defeat and disappointment.

Your first part of your reply was what I was alluding to. I thought for a nanosecond that she was going to name names. I must see that interview again.
luther

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:53 am

luther wrote:Your first part of your reply was what I was alluding to. I thought for a nanosecond that she was going to name names. I must see that interview again.

What I remember is her tacit admission that she had names in mind, but Morgan didn't press her to go Gwen Torrence, though I'm sure that Felix wouldn't have walked on that landmine even if he did ask some follow up questions.
jazzcyclist

Postby run4urlyfe » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

I saw that interview in depth and that is probably one of the biggest reasons why I would be devastated if she was busted. Alot of people thank god etc but she says she runs to glorify god and as a pastors daughter and someone so involved in the church this would make her the biggest hypocrit in the world.The wrath that would fall on her would be like none we have ever seen. She also said she hates to lose but her personal integrity and her health are not worth the risk of winning thru illegal methods.

The juiciest part of the interview is that she did admit to the fact she believed that people she was running against are doping and when asked why she felt that way she said..... its pretty obvious when you see peoples bodies change and their times drop...... I and everyone here knows one of the people she was referring to but i am now starting to wonder if she was also referring to another lady who seemed to get the best of her at the most opportune times????
run4urlyfe

Next