benefits of stimulants? [split]

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Re: benefits of stimulants? [split]

Postby gh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 am

cladthin wrote:......
I had such a significant history with caffeine that I thought during week one if I had it in the solution I might not even know it so I did work up to my max for that day. Week two rolled around and within about 3-5' of consuming the drink I definitly knew this was the week I had received the caffeine as I was certainly "wired"!

My squat went up 33 lbs. and I improved by 6.8%. There is little doubt in my mind it made a difference. ....

classic cause and effect! There is little doubt in my mind that the difference was mental; you "knew" you were going to get a benefit and your brain ran with it.
gh

Postby cladthin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:24 am

gh wrote:
cladthin wrote:......
I had such a significant history with caffeine that I thought during week one if I had it in the solution I might not even know it so I did work up to my max for that day. Week two rolled around and within about 3-5' of consuming the drink I definitly knew this was the week I had received the caffeine as I was certainly "wired"!

My squat went up 33 lbs. and I improved by 6.8%. There is little doubt in my mind it made a difference. ....

classic cause and effect! There is little doubt in my mind that the difference was mental; you "knew" you were going to get a benefit and your brain ran with it.

While I knew I was jittery, wired, I did not know to expect a benefit as I'd never lifted so heavy in my life as the previous week was also a p.r.
cladthin

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 am

mrbowie wrote:FYI, a better case can be made for the use of a tranquilizer than a stimulant for sprinters, because a stimulant can take a runner out of his game, whereas a tranquilizer will allow a runner to relax and allow his speed to come out. This is why the drug of choice among cheaters in equine sports choose Ace, a tranquilizer, rather than a stimulant.

This reinforces my skepticism of stimulants' PED effects. While humans are highly susceptible to a placebo effect, the horses are fairly immune to it.
Pego

Postby cladthin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:19 am

I think there have been some caffeine studies done with respect to the influence they might have on endurance performance. One I was told of yesterday was apparently a double blind experiment done with collegiate CC runners that showed caffeine did have a performance boost though it was mentioned it a fairly small experiment in terms of subjects.

One I can also recall (some of you guys with access to a lot of research journals online could probably find) which showed the positive effects with cyclists and endurance performance. I think part of the theory as to the reason caffeine might be beneficial was due to the mobilization of free fatty acids as substrate though possibly it had a neural stim. effect as well. It's been a long time since I reviewed some of these.
cladthin

Re: 5 More Jamaican positives [Simpson & Powell big names]

Postby Blues » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 am

Pego wrote:
Blues wrote:It turned out that the increase in blood pressure from the stimulants had blown a bubble in my ascending aorta.

Let me play psychiatrist for a moment :wink: . Do not feel guilty about causing an aortic aneurysm by drinking stimulants. I bet those drinks did not cause it :D .

What happened to me was unusual, but it's the consensus of experts that it did involve the caffeine and energy drinks to some extent and was probably a perfect storm. The onset involved a sudden, severe searing electrical shock type chest pain that lasted for about 10 seconds, followed by a localized moderate throbbing pain with each pulse, that persisted. PVCs suddenly occurred every few beats as well, and persisted. Once that happened, there was routine increased localized throbbing pain upon significant exertion or exercise which my aortic surgeon later attributed to the aneurysm stretching as BP increased, in part based on the location of the pain. Upon presentation to the cardiologist a few days after the incident happened at work, my BP, both systolic and diastolic, was elevated for the first time in my life as well and remained elevated (but controlled with metoprolol, no longer required) until I had surgery. Stress test preceded aneurysm diagnosis and was normal with no blockages.

Anyway, the combination of about 800 to 1000mg of caffeine over 2 to 3 hours immediately prior to the symptoms beginning, which was the most I'd ever consumed in that time period, along with any other ingredients that the energy drinks included, along with a normal 60mg dose of pseudoephedrine for nasal congestion due to allergies, along with an unusually hectic and stressful work shift that night, combined with the fact that I was already predisposed due to having a very efficient but still bicuspid aortic valve along with a father who also had an ascending aortic aneurysm, seems to have led to the compromise of a portion of the aortic wall. (That might be the longest run-on sentence in history.) Heavy caffeine use at work but at lower dosage over the previous few months may or may not have played a part too. I know that's not the way aneurysms generally occur, but my case was considered rare.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, despite any new psychiatric diagnoses you guys choose to add to my chart... :wink:
Last edited by Blues on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blues

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:34 am

Blues wrote:That's my story and I'm sticking to it, despite any new psychiatric diagnoses you guys choose to add to my chart

I wish nobody had more psychopathology than you do 8-) .
Pego

Previous