Which are the "drugged" countries

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Which are the "drugged" countries

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Analysis of the IAAF Listing of

Athletes currently suspended from all competitions in athletics following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation as at: 4.7.13

272 - Total number of athletes suspended
055 - Number of countries with 1 or more athletes currently suspended

46 - India
43 - Russia
14 - Kenya
13 - USA
9 - South Africa
9 - Malaysia
8 - Brazil
8 - France
8 - Turkey
6- Greece
6 - Saudi Arabia
5 - Morocco
5 - Nigeria
4 - Great Britain
4 - China
1 - Germany
1 - Jamaica
0 - Australia
0 - New Zealand
Tuariki

Re: Which are the "drugged" countries

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:28 pm

However, Turkey has about 30 pending...
26mi235

Postby ExCoastRanger » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Looking at the U.S. list, it's not exclusively a list of athletes, active athletes or elite athletes.

Of the 13 U.S. names on the list, the first is not an athlete at all, but agent Mark Block (who still seems to find his way into meets).

The second U.S. name on the list is Shawn Crawford for failure to report whereabouts to testers, which I believe has been established as a case of not turning in proper paperwork to remove himself from the anti-doping program upon retirement.

Jerome Young's lifetime ban dates back to 2004.

Athletes listed from the U.S. include Raymond Stewart (like Block, for administration offenses). Is he really one of ours?

Four of the U.S. athletes listed are Masters, ages 53, 63, 64 and 68, and two of those according to USATF are for failure to get TUEs for prescribed meds. One is for "refusal" to comply with testers at the Masters National Championships. One is for modafinil and steroids.

Sprinter Trey Downing was also popped for "refusal."

The only distance runner on the list, Christian Hesch, 34, was earning nice paydays as a regional sub-elite road racer at the time of his suspension for EPO.

There is only one thrower on the list -- hammer thrower Matthew Di Buono ("steroids").

The two names that really stand out are Debbie Dunn ("steroids") and Crystal Cox ("prohibited substances").
ExCoastRanger

Postby lionelp1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:23 pm

heavy excuse making... so your athletes are as clean as a whistle. and always have been :lol:
lionelp1

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Given how many top track and field athletes the US has and to have only three of them on bans is for of UK-like, right? Of course, there is the as-yet-unverified assertion that a major US (sprinter?) has run afoul of doping rules.
26mi235

Postby ExCoastRanger » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:30 pm

lionelp1 wrote:heavy excuse making... so your athletes are as clean as a whistle. and always have been :lol:

Not my intention at all. I don't think I make any excuses. It's a simple, maybe simplistic, analysis of the U.S. names on the list.

I looked at the Americans because, you know, I'm American, and I don't have all night to look into the histories of every other country's Rogue's Gallery.
With the exception of Crawford and a couple of the Masters cases, with which I'm vaguely familiar, I'm not aware of any mitigating arguments in any of the U.S. suspensions or bans.

I'd love to see a breakdown of some of the other nations on the list.

Not to diminish damage done by the true cheaters at any level -- but so many of the U.S. names on the list have little relevance to the current world of T&F that we all talk about here (because they're retired, age-groupers or people you never would have heard of in the first place), I wonder if that holds true to scale for most of the other countries.
ExCoastRanger

Postby Half Miler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Is there a link to this list? I can't find it on the iaaf site.
Half Miler

Postby Atanvarno » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Atanvarno

Postby mump boy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:15 am

To my knowledge the UK's are

2 17m shot putters who refused to take tests because the toilets were dirty :roll:
1 incredibly mediocre sprinter who had an ok indoor season before she got caught
1 young hurdler who tested positive for Clembuterol while on a UKA training camp in SA. The whole group came down with food poisoning which nobody investigated and he was the only one tested. He swears blind the 2 are connected !!
mump boy

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 am

mump boy wrote:1 incredibly mediocre sprinter who had an ok indoor season before she got caught

It's actually embarrassing that she was drugged up and STILL was distinctly average :roll: :lol:
jjimbojames

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 am

Callum Priestly's ban must be well over by now. It happened in Jan 2010. I have no idea who else it could be though :?
Flumpy

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:35 am

An interesting list. I think the UK, Jamaica and the USA would shoot up if we looked at Athletes not currently banned with doping violations.

Of course such lists don't give the full story, we know Spain are destroying evidence of their athletics team being doped disgustingly. Also the USA have had 2 of the biggest cover-ups and so you have to wonder if there are others. Turkey also are about to have virtually all their athletes suspended.

How accurate is that list anyway? Jamaica currently have Mullins and Blaze suspended and 2 from last year. And course a likely suspension for VCB. Also our Belarus shot putter from last year isn't listed unless I'm mistaken?

I am surprised France is up there. You never head of either suspicious athletes or doping failures and they have as hard line as anybody.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:39 am

Flumpy wrote:Callum Priestly's ban must be well over by now. It happened in Jan 2010. I have no idea who else it could be though :?

According to UKAD...

Bernice Wilson, Paul Edwards, Mark Edwards, Carl Fletcher and Ian Burns are serving some sort of violation currently. Some are finishing this year but I had to look up a couple as their performances were so poor :shock:

http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule ... ons/search
jjimbojames

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:24 am

I agree with eldanielfire in that the list does not come close to telling the whole story. I believe it only lists those who are currently serving IAAF confirmed sentences. So no VCB, no Ostapchuk among quite a few others I imagine.

It would be interesting to find a list of all athletes who have been banned at one time or other. It would be even more interesting to have a list that included those whose failed drug tests were covered up by the national body.
Tuariki

Postby Blues » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:18 am

A list like that only gives a rough idea of which countries might be the most "drugged". The state of development, the efficiency, and the trustworthiness of the national anti-doping agency/program in a particular country plays a roll in determining the amount of PED usage and the amount of athletes that are caught from that country as well.
Blues

Postby gh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:36 am

and to have any real meaning, the list needs to reflect the positives as a percentage of the number of world-class athletes.
gh

Postby batonless relay » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:04 am

gh wrote:and to have any real meaning, the list needs to reflect the positives as a percentage of the number of world-class athletes.

I completely disagree with you on that. India has few world class athletes but the incredible number of athletes, even factoring for population, shows that there is a belief that there athletes need PED's to "catch up"; that's how a culture of doping begins, by making athletes/coaches/admins believe that the ONLY way that they get there is with drugs because everyone else is dirty.
batonless relay

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:12 am

batonless relay wrote:
gh wrote:and to have any real meaning, the list needs to reflect the positives as a percentage of the number of world-class athletes.

I completely disagree with you on that. India has few world class athletes but the incredible number of athletes, even factoring for population, shows that there is a belief that there athletes need PED's to "catch up"; that's how a culture of doping begins, by making athletes/coaches/admins believe that the ONLY way that they get there is with drugs because everyone else is dirty.

This. Percentage of the population is certainly a actor to look at, but percentage of world-class athletes is pointless and vague in it's boundaries, India clearly has a doping culture in Athletics, being crap isn't any less significant.
eldanielfire

Postby croflash » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:25 am

What is your definition of "world-class" in this context?
croflash

Postby GDAWG » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 am

Maybe it's just me, but I am not surprised that the Aussie and Kiwi athletes combine to have zero suspensions.
GDAWG

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:39 am

GDAWG wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I am not surprised that the Aussie and Kiwi athletes combine to have zero suspensions.

Especially given that massive story about uncovering Oz mafia supplying their sports with drugs.

As a Rugby fan I also seriously doubt there isn't steroids rife in the sport, however dope testing is a joke outside Olympic sports.
eldanielfire

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:30 am

eldanielfire wrote:
GDAWG wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I am not surprised that the Aussie and Kiwi athletes combine to have zero suspensions.

Especially given that massive story about uncovering Oz mafia supplying their sports with drugs.

As a Rugby fan I also seriously doubt there isn't steroids rife in the sport, however dope testing is a joke outside Olympic sports.

It is so far limited to only two codes of football - rugby league and Aussie rules.
However, like Eldanielfire I suspect PEDs are probably used by rugby players individually. The testing regime outside of the main Olympic sports is pretty much non existent.
Tuariki

Postby gibson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:44 pm

right.

some countries have fads where there are a wave of users, then there are busts or heat and the numbers go down, sometimes to zero.

countries where people don't know much about the new testing will be affected "suddenly" by the test results.

i think that these drug busts are a very good thing for track and field long-term (should they root out most of the users) short term, however it is a disaster.

i'm waiting for the busts of the biggests king pins (#1 and #2 in the sport) to come and totally wash away the facaeds of track and field. at that point there will be no point in defending the current fraudulant system.

and then we can get on with the experment, with fair play. the new policy" is that you just have to say what you use and document it, and still test the athletes. usder this scheme, the athlete is a willing guinea pig for all to learn from. certainly the affects of steroids, epo and the rest can help many many people and we will know better what they do, what the side effects are.

good riddance to the old paradigm of track and field.
Last edited by gibson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gibson

Postby gibson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:51 pm

chiming in with rugby. rugby is super pregnant with gluttonous PED users.rugby countries numbers will go through the roof if there was sudden comprehensive testing.

references?: well, you can be in the know, or you can see, or you can google MD (medical doctor) and Rugby and PED (steroid, HGH, peptides, etc) and see what you get.
gibson

Postby bambam » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:12 am

DopingList.com has the following from a tweet I got:

We have registered more than 1400 doping cases in Track and Field. Below you can see some data from our database.

Top three countries:
1: Russian Federation 142
2: United States 133
3: India 128

I think this list goes back to eternity. Its a pay site so I can't give you more information.
bambam