New USATF CEO Blogs

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby gh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:18 am

"in the paper" no longer necessarily means ink & paper.
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:38 am

To me it does. Call me old-fashioned (or worse).
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:06 pm

gh wrote:"in the paper" no longer necessarily means ink & paper.

zackly - our local rag actually has a very good web-site, so I often go there to 'read the paper' - stuff that's not even in 'the paper'. :D
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:43 pm

I read my local newspapers as much on line as in print. But I never look at the blogs. There's an infinite amount to read out there, and a limited amount of time. I let the editors do the first cut for me. If it ain't good enough to make the paper, I'm not going to waste my time on it.
tandfman

Postby gh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:55 pm

Big mistake. Among other things, remember the dictum "electrons are free," which means that people have the freedom to ramble on a little on-line, not constrained by paper cost or fitting copy into an x by x box.

And they don't have to meet (not so much at least) the preceonceived prejudices of the editorial board and can write what they find interesting.

The movie and food columns in my local rag are fabulously well served by having their main people blogging in addition to the limited ink they get. And their best sports columnist (irreverence unlimited) appears only in the online version.

So, you wanna be called worse? LUDDITE! LUDDITE! :-)
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:21 pm

gh wrote:So, you wanna be called worse? LUDDITE! LUDDITE! :-)

But I don't want to destroy the blogs--just ignore them. (Yeah, I know, "Luddite" has taken on connotations beyond its original meaning. I'm also a conservative about language, in case you hadn't noticed. :) )
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:26 pm

tandfman wrote:I'm also a conservative about language, in case you hadn't noticed. :) )

Yeah, but ya ain't dead! Adapting to the New World Order (MattM!), which involves getting your input digitally, ensures that just because you're old, you're not ready for Droopy Drawers Senior Center.
Marlow

Next