Heredia and Smith

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Heredia and Smith

Postby Speedbuff » Sat May 10, 2008 7:08 pm

"Memo" Heredia outs coach John Smith

Angel Heredia, the whistleblower

The Times of London
Sunday May 11, 2008

The athletes continued to work with Heredia and in 2002, he claims a friend of his was approached by the coach John Smith. Would he be interested in working with two of Smith’s sprinters, Maurice Greene and Larry Wade? He says a meeting was set up and Heredia met Smith, Greene and Wade in Houston, Texas.

“I found John Smith very professional. He knew what was going on and wanted me to work with the two athletes from his group that he most trusted. After winning in Sydney, Maurice had slipped a bit. Tim Montgomery was the new kid on the block. Maurice wanted to run fast, make a medal at the Athens Games and hold on to his adidas contract.”

Heredia worked with Greene in 2003 and 2004. Theirs was a predominantly business relationship. “We got on fine but it wasn’t a relationship based on friendship.” Heredia claims he would call Greene, talk to him about his test results, explain to him what he was getting and make sure he followed the protocols. “He ran well in 2003 until he had problems with his knee. He followed the same protocols in 2004 and he did well to get the bronze medal in Athens.”

Heredia had documentation showing a $10,000 wire transfer from an M Greene. When Greene was asked about this money, he said he had paid someone else’s bill. He flatly denies using performance-enhancing drugs. Smith and Wade have not commented on the allegations. “Obviously Maurice was caught by surprise,” says Heredia. “You know, all of a sudden they call you and tell you your name is in the press linked to the main witness in the Feds’ investigation.

“So Maurice says he paid the $10,000 for someone else? A guy said to me, ‘I want a friend like that.’ But who’s going to give you $32,000 just because you smile at him. Come on! It don’t work like that.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 908470.ece
Speedbuff

Postby Narrion » Sat May 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Not directly related....but I just finished reading Speed Trap, by Charlie Francis.....I know it's been out for 18 years or so...but I'm just getting around to it.....and Francis explicitly states (p.111) that :

"Back home, meanwhile, I had the example of John Smith, the American 400-metre runner who had moved in the fall of 1980 to Toronto, where he'd trained with me for several months. Smith told me he begun taking 25 milligrams of Dianabol per day in 1970 while at UCLA, and in one year had improved from 47-flat to 45-flat. It seemed clear that such performance leaps couldn't be ascribed to training alone, no matter how "hard" people worked."

It appears that PED use is nothing new to Smith. Thus, his and his athletes' involvement with Heredia shouldn't come as a surprise.
Narrion

Postby EPelle » Sat May 10, 2008 11:04 pm

EPelle

Postby mrbowie » Sat May 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Between Smith and Greene, if this stuff is to be believed, they used for the two classic reasons: a) to ascend and b) not to slip.

If true, quite pathetic.
mrbowie