Antonio Pettigrew latest victim in doping hunt

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby Jaack » Fri May 23, 2008 2:55 am

He was always a key player in the relays, accordingly I can see United states being DQ'd in.....oh, 97 world, 99 worlds, 2000 Olympics AND 2001 Worlds! :shock: :shock:

Which means Britian are 97 world champions, Poland are 1999 champions, Nigeria are the Olympic champions and the Bahamas win the 2001 world championships!
Jaack

Postby peach » Fri May 23, 2008 3:47 am

bambam wrote:Here is the list of positive doping "irregularities" found at the Olympic Games since 1968 (all sports). USA is up there pretty high. Please note that GDR = 0.

Yes, but that means nothing- the GDR used to test all their athletes before they left East Germany and if any of them failed tests, they would be mysteriously "injured" and not go to the games...
peach

Postby kamikaze7 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:31 am

The 1993 team should lose its medals too even though Pettigrew did not run in the finals. Thye sport needs harsher penalties. :evil:

And I hope Pettigrew will get a lifetime ban including his job at UNC. Having a coach who is a cheat cant possibly be good for UNC anyway.
kamikaze7

Postby peach » Fri May 23, 2008 5:45 am

Depends how far the evidence goes back...

Of course, once you cheat, I think you should forfeit everything you've ever won before but as the rules stand, there isn't anything to say that he was doping then.

I mean, it is my own personal belief that there is no way in hell that Marion Jones wasn't swallowing pills left right and centre from 1997 onwards when she returned from nowhere in a blaze of glory, but the evidence only goes back to 2000 and so she gets to keep everything prior to then...

Just a rather silly flaw in a rather silly system...
peach

Postby EPelle » Fri May 23, 2008 6:45 am

kamikaze7 wrote:The 1993 team should lose its medals too even though Pettigrew did not run in the finals. Thye sport needs harsher penalties. :evil:

And I hope Pettigrew will get a lifetime ban including his job at UNC. Having a coach who is a cheat cant possibly be good for UNC anyway.

Eight-year statute of limitations rule comes into effect here, though I agree with Peach:s sentiment above.
EPelle

Postby dcunited » Fri May 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Well as jaded as I've been lately, can't say it's any less disheartening to see heart and soul torn out of the sport knowing full well it deserved better. I rue the contracts and cash that changed the game even though some athletes who competed clean got something out of it. Somehow it's always seemed to me T&F suffers more than other sports by presence of PEDs. My coach knew what he was doing by sticking with smaller colleges. Even though world has changed so much it seems, I can still feel for athletes shut out of contention by the cheating way of life that took hold of sport.
dcunited

Postby catson52 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:51 pm

dcunited wrote:Well as jaded as I've been lately, can't say it's any less disheartening to see heart and soul torn out of the sport knowing full well it deserved better. I rue the contracts and cash that changed the game even though some athletes who competed clean got something out of it. Somehow it's always seemed to me T&F suffers more than other sports by presence of PEDs. My coach knew what he was doing by sticking with smaller colleges. Even though world has changed so much it seems, I can still feel for athletes shut out of contention by the cheating way of life that took hold of sport.

We have all had our suspicions for many (30+) years. As the headlines at T&FN site show, things are getting unravelled. Or to put it less politely, the shit has hit the fan. And the "stains" will be spread far and wide, both in this country and elsewhere. I went from being a rabid fan (knowing top 20+ at almost any time in all standard events in the precomputer era), to a somewhat disinterested fan. More for self protection than anything else, for no one likes a one time hero being exposed for a "fraud".
catson52

Postby dcunited » Sat May 24, 2008 4:48 am

Yeah man.
dcunited

Previous