Drugs: What's Acceptable And What Isn't [split]

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby Pego » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:56 am

gh wrote:
Andrea_T wrote:To tafnut, the FACT is there was systematic doping in the US during the same period. Might not be the same system, but it was there, and plain to see.

And now Marion Jones, Kelly White, Torri Edwards, Christie Gaines, L Tasha Jenkins, Inger Miller...the backbone of the US sprint team for a decade, all failed tests (see gh, I'm within the rules!)....

The mention of Miller is a tad unfair. Her "positive" was for caffeine, and calmer heads have since prevailed and removed that as a bannable offense.

And not to split semantic hairs, but Jenkins did not fail any test. By binding decision that's the case.

So is Edwards.

My name was mentioned earlier in the thread, so I'd like to re-state my position.
Prior to 1968 I am not aware of systematic doping program in Czechoslovakia. Post-1968 I am clueless.
Pego

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 am

Wasn't Miller one of the athletes caught up in the pre Sydney 2000 fiasco, though (thus her bizarre behaviour once the Games began)?
Matt

Postby Andrea_T » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:38 am

Matt my god we must be psychopathically linked :P
Andrea_T

Postby MJD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:38 am

For anyone who gets caught for anything that was against the rules at the time no matter how minor some may view the infractions, I just default to the position that that is all they got caught for and were doing other stuff and that includes the 19 year old Gatlin. I don't shed any tears for any of them. Others can give them the benefit of the doubt but I am not so naive(as some have been around here with other athletes).
MJD

Postby gh » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:58 am

Andrea_T has decided to take a vacation. Next?
gh

Postby marknhj » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:22 am

MJD wrote:For anyone who gets caught for anything that was against the rules at the time no matter how minor some may view the infractions, I just default to the position that that is all they got caught for and were doing other stuff and that includes the 19 year old Gatlin. I don't shed any tears for any of them. Others can give them the benefit of the doubt but I am not so naive(as some have been around here with other athletes).

That is my view too...
marknhj

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:56 am

marknhj wrote:
MJD wrote:For anyone who gets caught for anything that was against the rules at the time no matter how minor some may view the infractions, I just default to the position that that is all they got caught for and were doing other stuff and that includes the 19 year old Gatlin. I don't shed any tears for any of them. Others can give them the benefit of the doubt but I am not so naive(as some have been around here with other athletes).

That is my view too...

I respectfully disagree. The Gatlin case is one of a prescribed med and there is an official trail that says that it was NOT a deliberate violation. "violations" such as for caffeine (and other 'common' substances), that were later removed tell us little about generalized intent, in my opinion.

I do have a question about how one might talk about a situation where Frank Shorter has pushed on the situation with Cierpinski -- I do not know about WC and would not be speculating but is it feasible to talk about Shorter's comments or about those of Werner Franke (German involved in anti-doping crusade)?
26mi235

Postby Mennisco » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:49 am

Powell wrote:
gh wrote:tafnut does NOT speak for Board policy, which is quite simple: don't be implicating individuals.

In that case, why is it OK to suggest, as Tafnut did above that GDR had a policy of "if you are an EG track athlete, you WILL do as you're told (take PEDs) or you won't be wearing our singlet"? .

Yu vill eat za pill. Yu vill not leave za homeland or ve vill shoot u.
Mennisco

Postby malmo » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:31 am

Mennisco wrote:
Powell wrote:
gh wrote:tafnut does NOT speak for Board policy, which is quite simple: don't be implicating individuals.

In that case, why is it OK to suggest, as Tafnut did above that GDR had a policy of "if you are an EG track athlete, you WILL do as you're told (take PEDs) or you won't be wearing our singlet"? .

Yu vill eat za pill. Yu vill not leave za homeland or ve vill shoot u.

Und zee vill be varingz zee itchyscratchysuitzundpantzen madez frumz zee Pottsdam, vile zee uzzerz vill be varingz zee smoozuntsexysuitzundpantzen smugglez inz frumz zee Dusseldorf.

Zu vontz itchybuttz? Zu getz itchybuttz!
malmo