doping: a modest proposal for a statute of limitations

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Should the results stand after 24 hours?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:22 pm

We should track down cheaters forever
67%
24 hours may not be the right number but something would be
33%

Total votes : 18

Postby Powell » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:35 am

Speaking of retroactively changing results - the 1912 OG decathlon results were changed some 70 years after the event took place :!:
Powell

Postby Andrea_T » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:37 am

tafnut wrote:I'm beginning to feel you'll NEVER get it, Mats. I hate USA cheaters even MORE!!!
a. not getting caught is a non-starter. Very FEW got caught back then.
b. NO ONE is in denial about the amount of cheating going on.
c. We KNOW that the DDR was systemically dirty - across the board.
d. We know that many western athletes were dirty - we just don't know which ones. We ban the ones we DO know.
e. did you even READ my post??!!
:roll:

a. Agreed
b. I don't know, you seemed to deny Marion Jones was doped right til the end. Rose tinted glasses and all that.
c. No we do not. Not every athlete is mentioned, there is no record of certain athletes - fact. If you are making the assumption that every GDR athlete was doped because some are mentioned in government files, then we can just as easily assume that every American woman sprinter is doped because of Jones, White, Gaines, Edwards, Jenkins etc. At the very least that any athlete that has been coached by their coach is/was doped, no?
d. Oh I don't know, some are blindingly obvious.
e. Yes. :lol:
Andrea_T

Postby Andrea_T » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:30 am

tafnut wrote: I 'hate' the fact that the EG women cheated so thoroughly and put up marks that were completely 'false'. I would love to see them stripped of everything. The flip side of that, however, is that we have no idea who else was dirty then. It's a no-win situation. But I still say, punish the known guilty.

Are these the same EG women that were beaten by a 'clean' Ashford, a 'clean' Brisco, a 'clean' JJK, a 'clean' Flo Jo? Is 7,291 really a 'true' mark and 47.60 a 'false' mark?
Andrea_T

Postby tafnut » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:20 am

Andrea_T wrote:Are these the same EG women that were beaten by a 'clean' Ashford, a 'clean' Brisco, a 'clean' JJK, a 'clean' Flo Jo? Is 7,291 really a 'true' mark and 47.60 a 'false' mark?

As soon as you show me the proof that the others were dirty. That's exactly what I said about Marion also. When the proof came, I believed it. As it stands know, everyone else is in the same boat: 'not guilty'. Except the DDR women whom we know weren't.
tafnut

Postby MJD » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:23 am

Dave wrote:no comments? and 5 votes?.

I think you may have put an expiry time on it. I can't vote. That doesn't help.
MJD

Postby Andrea_T » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:01 am

tafnut wrote:As soon as you show me the proof that the others were dirty. That's exactly what I said about Marion also. When the proof came, I believed it. As it stands know, everyone else is in the same boat: 'not guilty'. Except the DDR women whom we know weren't.

Right, so 7,291 is a clean, un-aided human feat in your eyes?

What EG women do you know that were doped? Tell me which ones are mentioned in the stasi files please - all of them? I think you'll find they're not all mentioned. Do you know which ones are and which ones aren't? I'd say you don't. I'd say you have read somewhere that x has been, and so you have assumed there is evidence that all the women were doped, without there actually being the evidence.

The fact is we do not know that ALL EG women were doped, because the evidence does not exist that shows they all were - fact.
Andrea_T

Previous