Riddle Me This

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Riddle Me This

Postby guru » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:44 am

Would have put this over on the Dope board, but I see you can't start new threads.

Ok, so, why.....

- Is there a discrepancy between when Marion says she started using BALCO PED's(around 1998), and when Conte says she did(summer 2000) on his TV interview with 20/20?

- This is the biggie - Why did Graham turn in the "Clear"? What was he thinking, what did he think he would GAIN? He's the one about to take the biggest fall in all this.
guru

Re: Riddle Me This

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:10 am

guru wrote:This is the biggie - Why did Graham turn in the "Clear"? What was he thinking, what did he think he would GAIN? He's the one about to take the biggest fall in all this.

You want an answer or speculation; i have no answers but plenty of speculation. :roll:

How about he was so angry with someone (X) that he turned it in knowing it would get X into trouble but the anger prevented him thinking it through to the obvious conclusion, i.e. He'd be caught in the mess.
Last edited by Daisy on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy

Postby EPelle » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:15 am

Maybe you want to change that to "Y". "X" wasn:t yet big-time yet. Was he even out of grade school? 8)
EPelle

Postby EPelle » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:19 am

Conte, according to a personal federal deposition taken in 2003, received his one – and only – supply of “the clear” through Arnold for 450-USD “a couple of years” prior to 2003. Any athletes he may have provided it to would have been only "a couple of years" before that deposition date.

Montgomery began his "clear" integration in Sydney.
EPelle

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:21 am

EPelle wrote:Maybe you want to change that to "Y". "X" wasn:t yet big-time yet. Was he even out of grade school? 8)

Damn, you mean Carter has cornered the market on X? So we now have W,Yand Z coordinates in math? I guess I can live with that.
Daisy

Postby EPelle » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:24 am

Imagine if.

The money it would cost to change all the textbooks to say, "Xavier Carter" coordinate.
EPelle

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:38 am

EPelle wrote:The money it would cost to change all the textbooks to say, "Xavier Carter" coordinate.

Actually less than you think. Text book companies have realised that the best way to make money is to come out with new editions on a regular basis. They fix up figures and move stuff around. Consequently, any student using the reading list has to have the new edition otherwise it is meaningless. They use this strategy to try and suppress the second hand book market that thrives on every campus.
Daisy

Postby EPelle » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:15 am

Had mine swiped from the campus library once following finals. Found out they were worth a whole 24 bucks. Someone enjoyed a couple days at Starbucks before they went on to someone else.
EPelle

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:31 am

guru wrote: - Is there a discrepancy between when Marion says she started using BALCO PED's(around 1998), and when Conte says she did(summer 2000) on his TV interview with 20/20?

This is an interesting question. Basically it comes down to which liar do you believe.

I never believed Conte’s story here (Marion came to me a month before the Oly Games and started a new PED regimen). The timing of such a development makes no sense for numerous reasons. This is one area I find Marion’s tale more credible.

EPelle wrote:Conte, according to a personal federal deposition taken in 2003, received his one – and only – supply of “the clear” through Arnold for 450-USD “a couple of years” prior to 2003.

Again, which liar do we believe? Seems to me a few too many athletes have benefited for this to be just one $450 batch of PEDs . . .
bad hammy

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 am

EPelle wrote:Had mine swiped from the campus library once following finals. Found out they were worth a whole 24 bucks. Someone enjoyed a couple days at Starbucks before they went on to someone else.

I had a backpack with all of my books and notes for two classes stolen a week before finals. That was a tough last week of college.
bad hammy

Postby George P. » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:50 am

Daisy wrote:Text book companies have realised that the best way to make money is to come out with new editions on a regular basis. They fix up figures and move stuff around. ... They use this strategy to try and suppress the second hand book market ...

Going terribly OT, but while this is bad news for students it can be good news for old farts trying to brush up on some long-forgotten subject. I recently bought a popular Econ text (by Mankiw). The current edition costs as much as an iPhone (only a slight exaggeration). But I got a decent older edition online for peanuts. 8)
George P.

Postby bad hammy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:24 am

bad hammy wrote:
guru wrote: - Is there a discrepancy between when Marion says she started using BALCO PED's(around 1998), and when Conte says she did(summer 2000) on his TV interview with 20/20?

This is an interesting question. Basically it comes down to which liar do you believe.

I never believed Conte’s story here (Marion came to me a month before the Oly Games and started a new PED regimen). The timing of such a development makes no sense for numerous reasons. This is one area I find Marion’s tale more credible.

Interesting that what she confessed to in court yesterday (using PEDs from Sept. 2000 – July 2001) neatly dovetails with Conte’s story, and is nowhere close to what she said in her letter to family and friends from the day before (where she said Graham started her on this regimen in 1999). Looks like our little liar is having a hard time getting her story straight.

And for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post, I do not believe that PED use started in Sept. 2000 – it had been going of for some time by then. Maybe – just maybe – that is when she first had direct contact with Conte. I don’t really know the details. But I do believe that no clean athlete is so incredibly stupid as to wake up two weeks before the Olympic Games and says – ‘Ize gots to find me some PEDs, pronto. Please, Mr. Slimy Dealer, hook me up today!’
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:33 am

bad hammy wrote:Please, Mr. Slimy Dealer, hook me up today!’

Sprized we haven't heard form our favorite SD in the last 2 days!
tafnut

Postby EPelle » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:10 am

EPelle

Postby Mennisco » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:01 pm

EPelle wrote:Imagine if.

The money it would cost to change all the textbooks to say, "Xavier Carter" coordinate.

The Happy Hooker axis?
Mennisco