5 questions about Marion

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby Mennisco » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:37 am

Jon wrote:
3. There are documents that doping existed in the GDR, but very few documents actually link names up - that is why nothing can be done about it. If there were documents naming names, those athletes would have been stripped of their medals/records too.

Ruth Fuchs admitted on German television that she used steroids. Have they taken her 2 Olympic gold medals? Did the IAAF make a big stink about it? They didn't even produce a smell worthy of a flatulent flea. The whole thing is a disgusting joke.
Mennisco

Postby Law dude » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:00 pm

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the IAAF's statute of limitations on admissions (and the IOC's as well under the WADA code) is 8 years. I don't know when Ruth Fuchs made this admission, but I imagine that if nothing has been done about it, that's because nothing can be done about it under the applicable rules.
Law dude

Marion

Postby parkerrclay » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:23 pm

that is stupid...so if Thanou admits in '09 that she used then she can keep her Sydney silver (or gold if Marion loses hers)...ridiculous
parkerrclay

Postby Powell » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:40 pm

Jon wrote:1. Sure, she had natural talent, but she was likely an early developer too, hence her world age bests. Hundreds of athletes break all sorts of age records without ever achieving anything as a senior. Had she not gone on the drugs, perhaps she'd just become a regular 11.0 kinda gal. But she wanted to be more than that.

I was just thinking of Angela Williams, who was pretty much as fast as Marion at the age of 15 and 16, but never progressed much after that
Powell

Postby eldrick » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 pm

worth noting though that when marion emerged as an adult she was a giant compared to some of the others : 5'10

nothing scientific here, but if an age-group record holder emerges as an adult with her physique & likely stronger + longer stride than her opposition, i'd not be surprised at all if she runs great times & certainly demolish 11.00
eldrick

Re: Marion

Postby Law dude » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:41 am

Law dude wrote:As has been pointed out elsewhere, the IAAF's statute of limitations on admissions (and the IOC's as well under the WADA code) is 8 years. I don't know when Ruth Fuchs made this admission, but I imagine that if nothing has been done about it, that's because nothing can be done about it under the applicable rules.

parkerrclay wrote:that is stupid...so if Thanou admits in '09 that she used then she can keep her Sydney silver (or gold if Marion loses hers)...ridiculous

That's the way statutes of limitations work. There's a time at which things are final. The theory behind statutes of limitations is that at at a certain distance from an event, things are best left as they are. Perhaps the benefit of an 8-year statute is that at least at some point, we may learn truths that might otherwise be concealed forever.

In any event, it is what it is.
Law dude

Re: Marion

Postby bad hammy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:47 am

Law dude wrote:Perhaps the benefit of an 8-year statute is that at least at some point, we may learn truths that might otherwise be concealed forever.

Interesting point. It gives us some point in time past which PED users could speak out without legal sanctions. Not that many ex-PED users are likely to 'come out' due to other personal problems which would then arise . . .
bad hammy