Marion to plead guilty to doping!

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Marion to plead guilty to doping!

Postby tjallen » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:19 pm

Read it and weep, actually I cursed out loud at my screen. Trevor, the clear, she will plead guilty in court!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

I was one who gave her a little benefit of the doubt. I feel slapped in the face.

tjallen
Last edited by tjallen on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tjallen

Postby Track fan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:34 pm

Did it take you this long to see that emperor had no clothes on? What I want to know is will the IAAF strip her of world honours and give them to the other athletes who came behind her? I guess Ottey is now a bronze queen again and Thanou is now a gold medalist(unless she confesses.... :lol: ).
Track fan

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:35 pm

You beat me to it by a minute or so.

Now eldrick will not need to make excuses. Were her marks before 1999 legitimate?
26mi235

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:36 pm

Wow! Finally the truth. I always thought the odds of her being clean were one in a million. It just didnt make any sense that she wasnt involved when everyone around her was. I guess we can call her a liar and a cheat, cant we? But now that she's admitted it its over for me. Not mad at all. I still say her jaw got bigger.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:37 pm

Track fan wrote:Did it take you this long to see that emperor had no clothes on? What I want to know is will the IAAF strip her of world honours and give them to the other athletes who came behind her? I guess Ottey is now a bronze queen again and Thanou is now a gold medalist(unless she confesses.... :lol: ).

Then if Thanou confesses, Zhanna Block would get the bronze medal :wink:
nevetsllim

Postby Flumpy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:43 pm

Track fan wrote:I guess Ottey is now a bronze queen

I think you'll find she'll at last have her GOLD :mrgreen:

Relay silver in '00

I have a only one thing to say to Marion "Don't touch me!!!" stupid drug cheating bint.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:44 pm

nevetsllim wrote:
Track fan wrote:Did it take you this long to see that emperor had no clothes on? What I want to know is will the IAAF strip her of world honours and give them to the other athletes who came behind her? I guess Ottey is now a bronze queen again and Thanou is now a gold medalist(unless she confesses.... :lol: ).

but more importantly merlene gets her OG gold in the relay

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:45 pm

Flumpy wrote:
Track fan wrote:I guess Ottey is now a bronze queen

I think you'll find she'll at last have her GOLD :mrgreen:

Relay silver in '00

I have a only one thing to say to Marion "Don't touch me!!!" stupid drug cheating bint.

don;t nick my posts :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
mump boy

Postby Track fan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:45 pm

nevetsllim wrote:

To be honest the runner from Botswana could end up on the medal stand and she got eliminated in the first round....... :lol: :roll:
Track fan

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:45 pm

Why? Bahamas won gold in the 4x100m.
nevetsllim

Postby mump boy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:49 pm

nevetsllim wrote:Why? Bahamas won gold in the 4x100m.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

oh dear i got rather over excited
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:50 pm

OH DAMN :( :oops: :cry: :( :oops: :cry:

Got a bit carried away there.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:50 pm

this is my favourite bit

Jones said she "trusted [Graham] and never thought for one second" she was using a performance-enhancing drug until after she left Graham's Raleigh, N.C.-based training camp at the end of 2002. "Red flags should have been raised when he told me not to tell anyone about" the supplement program, she said in the letter. She also said she noticed changes in how her body felt and how she was able to recover from workouts.

Duh that'll do it !!!!
mump boy

Postby wineturtle » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:51 pm

wineturtle

Posted: 06 Sep 2006 23:39 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am shocked I thought it would come back Positive. I still think that between 40 and 60% of the elites have broken the Drug Rule either in fact or spirit.
Maid Marion just goes back into the same pool...no reason to look at this as other than 50-50.

wineturtle
Posted: 04 Jun 2006 18:36 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said I did not think she would ever go sub 11 again ~Looks like I'm wrong.
I was prepared to be indifferent to her at Ichan, but she played the crowd the moment -and me-as well as any runner I've ever seen. As Lewis Johnson(onfield cheerleader position*) was about to intro the Mens quarter ,Marion strided down the track to the 50 yard mark. Of course the crowd reacted,she stoped and as if answering a shout from the stands .......turned off the runner getting ready personna .....smiled... turned full face to the crowd and waved-Up roar causes Lewis J to turn and give her a standalone intro and a more to come comment. Then goes back and intros the Quarterhorses. If they planned that ~Emmy for sure! I was sucked back in...she is a beautiful looking sprinter tall ,long lean but muscled lines. I'd forgotten that she looks fast just standing around.

Two edged sword.Cuts tru the media silence but leaves a Balco shaped scar on the sport.
Now if we can only remind the NYTimes that printing the full results of the meet would be nice!!
VCR problems prevented me from getting it on tape or I'd have played it as soon as I got back from the IRIE JAM after the meet. Nice tunesBTW
WR on top of it all was the crowning touch.

*LJ did a great job( except for the native language thing)

Sucked back in- understatment.
wineturtle

Postby Justin Clouder » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Flumpy wrote:

mump boy wrote:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Are you two actually different people? :P

Justin
Justin Clouder

Postby mump boy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:53 pm

Justin Clouder wrote:
Flumpy wrote:

mump boy wrote:

Are you two actually different people? :P

Justin

very different just the same DNA
mump boy

Postby dupontred » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

wow...not suprised she used...just suprised that she finally admitted it.

for the longest time, I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but after all the husbands/boyfriends/coaches all went down....well, ...

I wonder when she started...she had amazing natural talent in high school. I wonder how far she could have gotten just based on talent and hard work.
dupontred

Postby tjallen » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:01 pm

short quote from Washington Post story - first paragraph

Thursday, October 4, 2007; 4:46 PM

Track star Marion Jones has acknowledged using steroids as she prepared for the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney and plans to plead guilty Friday in New York to two counts of lying to federal agents about her drug use and an unrelated financial matter, according to a letter Jones sent to close family and friends.

------------------
tjallen

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:05 pm

It's on ESPN right now.
jazzcyclist

Postby Jacksf » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!
It was obvious really....so much circumstantial evidence.
Last edited by Jacksf on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacksf

Postby guru » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:11 pm

Jacksf wrote:I TOLD YOU SO!!!!
It was obvious really....so much circustantial evidence.

You know what? I actually agree with that, but I find it so strange that she was the only Whale that wasn't named a couple years ago when the BALCO documents that caught so many other big names were leaked. It just didn't make sense.

But whatever. :?
guru

Postby guru » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:16 pm

Early statement from USATF CEO Masback:

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?dui ... 4_15_11_49
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:18 pm

dupontred wrote:.she had amazing natural talent in high school. I wonder how far she could have gotten just based on talent and hard work.

I wonder the same thing about Justin Gatlin.
jazzcyclist

Postby MJD » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:19 pm

Ummm...time to reopen the drug board. El? El?
MJD

Postby guru » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:20 pm

MJD wrote:Ummm...time to reopen the drug board.

Not yet. Just her. This thread will suffice.
guru

Postby tjallen » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:24 pm

Jacksf:
I TOLD YOU SO!!!!
It was obvious really....so much circustantial evidence.

guru:
You know what? I actually agree with that, but I find it so strange that she was the only Whale that wasn't named a couple years ago when the BALCO documents that caught so many other big names were leaked. It just didn't make sense.

I guess I had given up defending her with the Tim Montgomery revelations, and the Pos/Neg test result. Yes, by then the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming.

But inside, I still held out hope (I was in denial). Why? I guess I couldn't believe she would lie and lie and lie like that. But now we know. As I say this I wipe a small tear away. Daggone it, another balloon punctured by reality.

tjallen
Last edited by tjallen on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tjallen

Postby tafnut » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:26 pm

As a long-time Marion-defender (I, did, however give up on her after the EPO thing), I am extremely disappointed in this turn of events. I was TOTALLY fooled by her book, wherein she categorically

IN BOLD RED PRINT (oh, the ignominy :? )

denied PED-using. Even if she says she didn't know it was 'The Clear', the fact that Graham said 'don't tell anyone' should have been the deal-breaker.

I would like to apologize to EVERYONE on this board for my staunch support of her. There's no fool like an old fool, and I'm feeling very old now. :oops:
tafnut

Postby Justin Clouder » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:29 pm

This makes it even harder to understand what Trevor Graham hoped to achieve by sending THG to the authorities. What have I missed? :?

Justin
Justin Clouder

Postby steve » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:33 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
dupontred wrote:.she had amazing natural talent in high school. I wonder how far she could have gotten just based on talent and hard work.

I wonder the same thing about Justin Gatlin.

So Graham told her it was flaxseed oil. She definitely should have known better in an ideal world, but given that she was, young, getting good results, and like most athletes completely trusted her coaches, it is understandable that the thought that everything wasn't legit could be quickly dismissed by her. Not an excuse though.

It makes me think that the same thing happened with Justin, that he was on steroids without his consent. Not an excuse, necessarily, but an explanation. I think that Graham took advantage of his athletes to bolster his own image as a great coach.
steve

Postby guru » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:34 pm

Justin Clouder wrote:This makes it even harder to understand what Trevor Graham hoped to achieve by sending THG to the authorities. What have I missed? :?

Justin

Same thought here.
guru

Postby Jacksf » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:36 pm

I am so f***ing happy, I could sh*% !!!!

This is hands-down, the best T&F news of year!!!!

She's a cheater, a liar, a fake, a phony, a chicken-sh*& - thank god it's all going to come out now.
I probably wouldn't hate her so much, but so many people, and especially the media, have been falling all over themselves about her for so long, when it was so obvious she was using PEDs.

[Admin edited to remove objectionable content. Please review the guidelines.]
Jacksf

Postby guru » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:37 pm

steve wrote: I think that Graham took advantage of his athletes to bolster his own image as a great coach.

Either that, or a great Jamaican conspiracy to bring down the American sprint machine, with Graham as the NOC :lol:
guru

Postby Justin Clouder » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:39 pm

steve wrote:It makes me think that the same thing happened with Justin, that he was on steroids without his consent. Not an excuse, necessarily, but an explanation. I think that Graham took advantage of his athletes to bolster his own image as a great coach.

The rules say (as I'm sure you know) that the athlete is responsible for what goes into their body and not asking isn't enough. With Gatlin I think the question is whether he was doped without his knowledge, ie he did not knowingly allow the substance to enter his body. Jones can't claim that. It may seem picky, but there is a world of difference...

Justin
Justin Clouder

Postby Justin Clouder » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:40 pm

Jacksf wrote:This is hands-down, the best T&F news of year!!!!

Given the crap likely to descend on the sport yet again over the next few weeks, I find that sentiment hard to agree with.

Justin
Justin Clouder

Postby Wang Lung » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:40 pm

I don't believe for one second she thought it was flaxseed oil.
Wang Lung

Was this story leaked?

Postby spy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:43 pm

The first posting on this list was at 2:19 PDT, but the time stamp on the Washington Post story is not until 2:32 PDT.
spy

Re: Was this story leaked?

Postby guru » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:45 pm

spy wrote:The first posting on this list was at 2:19 PDT, but the time stamp on the Washington Post story is not until 2:32 PDT.

I'm sure the story was updated. The time reflects the last time it was edited.
guru

Postby JRM » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:47 pm

tafnut wrote:... wherein she categorically

IN BOLD RED PRINT (oh, the ignominy :? )

denied PED-using. Even if she says she didn't know it was 'The Clear', ...

The NUMBER ONE M.O. of drug addicts is to DENY DENY DENY. When they're caught, they come back with "It's not mine!", or "I didn't know what it was!".

Jones and all the others out there are no different. The signs are the same. I never believed her for a second.
JRM

Postby Jacksf » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Justin Clouder wrote:
Jacksf wrote:This is hands-down, the best T&F news of year!!!!

Given the crap likely to descend on the sport yet again over the next few weeks, I find that sentiment hard to agree with.

Justin

It's great news!
There's a cloud of suspicion hanging over the sport anyway.
Let's get rid of the doubt, clean up the old messes, and find some new heroes to talk about, instead of the same old dopey ones.
Have you ever watched American TV coverage of T&F event?
Bob Hammond(?) invokes Marion's name at every possible moment even when she is not even in the meet. IT's disgusting. Like the sport doesn't even exist without her.
Plus, not only was she a cheat, she was a totally self centered coward, who ran out on 2 men in her life, the moment they got in trouble.
Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead!
Jacksf

Postby Justin Clouder » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Jacksf wrote:It's great news!
There's a cloud of suspicion hanging over the sport anyway.
Let's get rid of the doubt, clean up the old messes,...!

If only it worked that way. Busting Ben Johnson in 1988 was supposed to prove that the sport was clean...it had the opposite effect. Same for every bust since. The news that Jones took drugs will be taken by the media and public at large as yet more evidence that the sport is dirty, not as evidence that the sport is acting to clean itself up, however much we know the latter to be the case. IMHO!

Justin

Edit to add: particularly since this has come from a Federal investigation unrelated to whether or not she took PEDs, not from anything the sport did.
Last edited by Justin Clouder on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Clouder

Next