NYT/ IHT column

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

NYT/ IHT column

Postby jhc68 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:38 am

http://www.iht.com/articles/118149.html ... ongman/NYT

Interesting column with a long URL and a disturbing quote:

"Diana Nyad, the former long-distance swimmer who has studied the doping issue extensively as a commentator, said in an e-mail message: "We will one day not long from now see athletes advertising THG on their headbands as we now see Gatorade. The battle against using performance-enhancing drugs will be lost."

The New York Times
jhc68

Re: NYT/ IHT column

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:26 am

While I have a lot of respect for her, this is pretty asinine. McGwire did not advertise for Andro, and that was legal over the counter. It took us over a century before we allowed professional runners to admit they were professional (you, get paid in the light of day).

The closest thing I have seen to this is a t-shirt that was available in bodybuilding magazines back in the 70's that read "Dianabol: Breakfast of Champions".

Look for a continued game of cat and mouse between the Jedi Labs (WADA, USADA) and those of the dark side (BALCO, etc.) in the forseeable future.

Of course, I have been wrong before.

Re: NYT/ IHT column

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:19 pm

>While I have a lot of respect for her, this is
>pretty asinine. McGwire did not advertise for
>Andro, and that was legal over the counter. It
>took us over a century before we allowed
>professional runners to admit they were
>professional (you, get paid in the light of
>day).

The closest thing I have seen to this is
>a t-shirt that was available in bodybuilding
>magazines back in the 70's that read "Dianabol:
>Breakfast of Champions".

Look for a
>continued game of cat and mouse between the Jedi
>Labs (WADA, USADA) and those of the dark side
>(BALCO, etc.) in the forseeable future.

Of
>course, I have been wrong before.

Kevin, you're not wrong. Diana Nyad might have studied the subject, but she doesn't know much about the nature of man (and woman). Fans will always want to be inspired, and athletes will always want to be admired. The grim athletic world she describes will never come to be.