Can anyone explain what this means?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Can anyone explain what this means?

Postby BruceFlorman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:35 am

An article on AllSport.ru contains the following statement regarding a positive result and pending charges:
The full results of the analysis have not yet been sent to the All-Russian athletics federation. However, it is already known that the substance found is absent from the WADA prohibited list. It was classified to the class S4 “Agents with anti-estrogenic activity”. To explain, these agents can block woman hormones.

Full (albeit tiny) story here.

So how is it that someone can be charged for using a substance that is NOT on the banned substances list?
BruceFlorman

Re: Can anyone explain what this means?

Postby tafnut » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:39 am

BruceFlorman wrote: these agents can block woman hormones

I don't know about its athletic implications, but a WHOLE LOTTA MEN want to buy that drug!!!
tafnut

Postby BruceFlorman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:56 am

tafnut wrote:
BruceFlorman wrote: these agents can block woman hormones

I don't know about its athletic implications, but a WHOLE LOTTA MEN want to buy that drug!!!

The linked article is in English, and I'm not the one who did that particular translation. :)
BruceFlorman

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:16 am

BruceFlorman wrote:So how is it that someone can be charged for using a substance that is NOT on the banned substances list?

I'm no expert but i assume they also ban classes of drugs. Note it is S4 class, what ever that means.
Daisy

Postby Pego » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:27 am

S4 in DEA parlance stands for "Schedule 4", meaning it is only available by prescription.
I don't know much about female reproductive endocrinology, but this thing could easily be some sort of contraception (the pill).
Pego

Postby El Toro » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:26 pm

A fairly straightforward explanation here
El Toro

Postby Pego » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:05 pm

El Toro wrote:A fairly straightforward explanation here

Thank you.
Pego

Postby BruceFlorman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:42 pm

El Toro wrote:A fairly straightforward explanation here

Okay. To be honest, I pretty much stopped reading at the end of the abstract. But I did read this part:
In women, however, the negligible effect on blood testosterone suggests that drug-induced performance enhancement by hCG or estrogen blockers is highly unlikely. Furthermore, routine urinary hCG testing in young women risks invasion of privacy by detecting unrecognized pregnancy. These considerations suggest that prohibition of hCG and estrogen blockers should be restricted to men in which they are well justified.

But the athlete in question is a woman. And if "drug-induced performance enhancement by hCG or estrogen blockers is highly unlikely", then why would this be something that WADA is reporting to the VFLA as a doping violation?
BruceFlorman

Postby El Toro » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:03 pm

BruceFlorman wrote:Okay. To be honest, I pretty much stopped reading at the end of the abstract.

That's why they write them! :P

BruceFlorman wrote:But the athlete in question is a woman. And if "drug-induced performance enhancement by hCG or estrogen blockers is highly unlikely", then why would this be something that WADA is reporting to the VFLA as a doping violation?

Quite simply, it's because it's on the WADA banned list in Section 4 (S4). You didn't actually believe that a lack of actual performance enhancement would stop WADA in its tracks?

S4. AGENTS WITH ANTI-ESTROGENIC ACTIVITY
The following classes of anti-estrogenic substances are prohibited:
1. Aromatase inhibitors including, but not limited to, anastrozole,
letrozole, aminoglutethimide, exemestane, formestane, testolactone.
2. Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs) including, but not
limited to, raloxifene, tamoxifen, toremifene.
3. Other anti-estrogenic substances including, but not limited to,
clomiphene, cyclofenil, fulvestrant.
El Toro