Two Preliminary Positives: Stambolova and Veneva

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby gh » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:16 am

I stand by my statement.

This thread/forum has about outlived its current usefulness.
gh

Postby EPelle » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:28 am

Fine. Veneva and company are hard-up for cash and have had rows with their federation for being slow on paying up.

Stambolova denied rumours that she hadn't taken part in the 4x400 baton because the Agency was slow on paying up athletes. Not receiving the earned money was tough, she explained but that wouldn't stop her from competing.

Veneva, who won silver at the high jump, said that she was satisfied with her achievement and that this had been her strongest competition yet.

Wouldn:t the easiest, most logical thing to do be to take matters into your own hands and jump in competitions which paid an appearance fee/place fee instead of barking to your federation for not handing out money? Veneva won €7.500 in Paris some years back, but hasn:t really been anywhere since. Why?

Leading the highlights was the victory of Bulgarian high jumper Venelina Veneva at the Paris Saint-Denis Gaz de France tournament – part of the Golden League, the most prestigious track-and-field chain of competitions. The 27-year-old was the only athlete among the elite jumpers present to overcome the 200cm barrier – easily securing herself the victory. She made three unsuccessful attempts to improve her own best jump of 204cm, the world’s best result this season.

The triumph at the Stad de France in Paris was Veneva’s first victory in a Golden League tournament and she received a premium of 7,500 euros for her efforts. She also won in Paris three years ago, leaping 198cm, but the tournament was not yet included in the prestigious chain.

Gosh, my little pea-brain says the appearance fees and such were non-existent in competing domestically in Bulgaria.
EPelle

Postby Jon » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:55 am

Jaack wrote:Again, can I ask- HOW do drugs help a highjumper-
Improves their strength-to-weight ratio - massively important in the HJ.
Jon

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:19 am

EPelle wrote:Image

Fine. Veneva and company are hard-up for cash and have had rows with their federation for being slow on paying up.

Stambolova denied rumours that she hadn't taken part in the 4x400 baton because the Agency was slow on paying up athletes. Not receiving the earned money was tough, she explained but that wouldn't stop her from competing.

Veneva, who won silver at the high jump, said that she was satisfied with her achievement and that this had been her strongest competition yet.

Wouldn:t the easiest, most logical thing to do be to take matters into your own hands and jump in competitions which paid an appearance fee/place fee instead of barking to your federation for not handing out money? Veneva won €7.500 in Paris some years back, but hasn:t really been anywhere since. Why?

Leading the highlights was the victory of Bulgarian high jumper Venelina Veneva at the Paris Saint-Denis Gaz de France tournament – part of the Golden League, the most prestigious track-and-field chain of competitions. The 27-year-old was the only athlete among the elite jumpers present to overcome the 200cm barrier – easily securing herself the victory. She made three unsuccessful attempts to improve her own best jump of 204cm, the world’s best result this season.

The triumph at the Stad de France in Paris was Veneva’s first victory in a Golden League tournament and she received a premium of 7,500 euros for her efforts. She also won in Paris three years ago, leaping 198cm, but the tournament was not yet included in the prestigious chain.

Gosh, my little pea-brain says the appearance fees and such were non-existent in competing domestically in Bulgaria.

In the post-Soviet era, there are still quite residuals of communist practices even a generation after the fall of communism. When a western athlete earns money, it is his/hers. I am pretty sure the Bulgarians must still negotiate their share with the federation.
I may be mistaken, but this was the case still a couple of years ago. Powell might be up to snuff.
Pego

Postby gh » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:33 am

Jaack wrote:......Again, can I ask- HOW do drugs help a highjumper-
.....Don't understand a highjumper, or indeed Pole Vaulter (GIbilisco) taking drugs!?? :shock:

The reason steroids work for ALL events is because they allow you to do a heavier workload and recover more quickly. You don't just take steroids and overnight you're suddenly a better athlete. To get any benefit, you need to work your ass off. The harder you work, the more the benefit.

Thus the strange setting whereby people sometimes refer to steroids as a "short cut" to excellence, even though it's the other way round. Doesn't make taking them right, but if you want them to work, you need to be prepared to work harder than you did before.
gh

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:45 pm

gh wrote:Thanks Pego for pointing out that the tenor of this thread/board is getting a tad too witch-hunty for our liking. If you've got facts, bring them.

While the purpose of the Board in general is a free exchange of ideas, that doesn't mean open season on accusations.

I don't understand this at all. Nobody is making any accusations.

There are plenty of athletes that i suspect of drug abuse but I won't be mentioning them here because I know it;s against the rules. That's vert different to discussing those that have already failed tests.
Flumpy

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Also can you all please stop feeding the eldy troll. When he's in this kind of contrary mood there is absolutely no point having a discussion with him at all. If you say 'black' he'll say 'white' just for effect.

He's just attention seeking, please have the sense to ignore him.
Flumpy

Postby Mennisco » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Jaack wrote:

Again, can I ask- HOW do drugs help a highjumper-

Don't understand a highjumper, or indeed Pole Vaulter (GIbilisco) taking drugs!?? :shock:

Citius, altius, fortius. Fortius, citius, altius.
Mennisco

Postby gh » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:44 am

IAAF has rejected the Bulgarian position. See story on front page (am I blind with the new IAAF layout, or do they not have the story on their site?).
gh

Postby Mennisco » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:56 am

gh wrote:IAAF has rejected the Bulgarian position. See story on front page (am I blind with the new IAAF layout, or do they not have the story on their site?).

Thank God. It's not the International [Loose] Association of Athletic Federations.
Mennisco

Postby jumplove » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:23 am

bennyg wrote:Anybody who does not believe that the Rumanians and Bulgarians have been cheating for the last few decades, also believes in the toooth fairy.

And what an idiot are you. I am sure that except romanians and bulgarians no other nationalities had EVER cheated..... :roll:
True, its impossible that these 2 countries to have natural born talents..only England, Sweden,USA and few others have that privilege.
jumplove

Postby jumplove » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:49 am

"IMO, without drugs- Not only would Veneva a) look like a woman b) sound like a woman C) have a face clear of teenage acne but she'd also still be able to challenge given her great technique and natural jumping ability!
"

Dear people let s not be MEAN and SILLY about female athletes. What the hell could you expect when a women is practicing 6 or more hours a day, does more heavy weightlifting, a normal chick or even guy would think of?? Offcourse they are taking vitamins proteins and aminoacids to supply their extreme loss that comes with heavy consuming practice.
Offcourse there are body changes, offcourse you will see amazing rip muscles in some cases!!!!! THEY ARE PRACTICING HARD FOR GOD SAKE!!!!! PEOPLE ARE ALSO DIFFERENT. A chick with muscle or manly face doesn t AUTOMATICALLY means shes on illegal drugs. There are instances when females or males just produce naturally more testosterone than others.....
Some females or guys are just more masculine or feminine than others!!!!What the hell!!!
Lets stop making mean comments for God sake!!! Just imagine for one second that this women could look like that naturally and because the activity she s doing. How would you feel???
jumplove

Postby Flumpy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:22 am

jumplove wrote: A chick with muscle or manly face doesn t AUTOMATICALLY means shes on illegal drugs.

No, but when she fails a drugs test it's a pretty safe assumption that she is :roll:

And did you really use the expression "chick"???
Flumpy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:55 am

Flumpy wrote:
jumplove wrote: A chick with muscle or manly face doesn t AUTOMATICALLY means shes on illegal drugs.

No, but when she fails a drugs test it's a pretty safe assumption that she is :roll:

And did you really use the expression "chick"???

Was it failing the first test or failing the second test that tipped you off?
26mi235

Postby Jon » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:31 am

A third Bulgarian, 800m runner Teodora Kolarova, has tested positive:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gZU ... xWuIJF0CQg
Jon

Previous