Balco leaker: 2.5 yr. sentence

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Balco leaker: 2.5 yr. sentence

Postby Friar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:00 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/ ... ref=slogin
White also rejected Ellerman's argument that he should get a lighter sentence because President Bush commuted former vice presidential aide I. Lewis ''Scooter'' Libby's 2 1/2-year prison sentence for perjury to probation. White said to do so would open the door to doling out unduly lenient sentences for other white collar criminals.

''If Mr. Ellerman is dissatisfied with his sentence, he should seek a commutation from the president,'' White said.

Friar

Postby EPelle » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:11 pm

Escapes the 60.000-USD fine thought to be assessed at sentencing yesterday (thursday), and the original 250.000-USD which was first sought. Who pays the fees for these cases, you taxpayers? Such a big case with so much wasted capital; it seems the government hasn:t gone after anyone to recoup their monies. Conte and Goldman were fined large by the CA Dpt of Health Services, but not levied any court fine greater than 10.000:- (plus 200:- in restitution charges).
EPelle

Postby bad hammy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:52 am

Your garden variety criminals are not charged for the cost of the investigations or court proceedings or housing while in jail.
bad hammy

Postby gh » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:08 am

Don't forget the retirement package!
gh

Postby Jnathletics » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:36 am

From the article

Ellerman initially blamed federal investigators for leaking the testimony and argued that the case against his client be tossed out because of government misconduct. He also lied to a judge about not knowing the source of the leaks.

I hope he serves the whole time. He was trying to manipulate the system to his advantages, breaking a law in the process. Since the lawyer's board or association are unwilling to apply fair and legal rules to their conduct in court cases, lawyers should always get Jail time when they are caught. As their is no doubt of their intentions.

Add they wonder why Lawyers have such a bad rep. :roll:
Jnathletics

Postby Daisy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:12 pm

Jnathletics wrote:And they wonder why Lawyers have such a bad rep. :roll:

I've often heard people say, in jest, that criminal lawyers are a lot like criminals.

Personally i'm glad the judge threw the book at him. Imagine invoking Libby in a plea for clemancy, huh? Two wrongs do not make a right. If no one goes to jail for these actions then there is no incentive not to push the legal limits.

Also in the news, head of FDA (or equivalent agency) in China put to death for accepting more than $800,000 dollars in bribes from pharmaceutical companies. Compared to that 2.5 years doesn't sound so bad.
Daisy

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:29 pm

shoot the messenger.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby Jnathletics » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:21 am

Bruce Kritzler wrote:shoot the messenger.

It's not shooting the messanger. He tried to leak the info and blame the prosecuters to get a mistrial. Knowing full well he had no real case for his client.

It's shooting the thief's accomplice, as a lawyer who breaks the law to get his guilty client off is just as guilty in my book.
Jnathletics