Marion Jones is broke

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby MJD » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:30 am

I don't even know what everyone is talking about here. My focus is on the idiotic ramblings about what people may or may not have based on appearances. Millionaires used to be defined as people who were making 50,000 a year because that was interest on 1 million dollars for a year. Another idiotic definition. Unfortunately, because everyone is so focussed on consumption, someone who appears to have a pretty good lifestyle is actually assumed to have some money squirreled away instead of to be leveraging their income.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:36 am

EPelle, you know i love ya but if someone suggested that EPelle seems to be a little obsessed with the "Marion thing" i would have to think about my response. :?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby EPelle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:38 am

dirty laundry. others are waiting for the machine.
Last edited by EPelle on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
EPelle

Postby bad hammy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:49 am

SQUACKEE wrote:EPelle, you know i love ya but if someone suggested that EPelle seems to be a little obsessed with the "Marion thing" i would have to think about my response. :?

QFE . . .

:roll:
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:52 am

Ok guys. I get your points. 370 posts (ca) of 13.580 contain the word Jones (in connection with doping), and I:m over the top. Ok. Done here.
EPelle

Postby tafnut » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:22 am

EPelle wrote:Ok guys. I get your points. 370 posts (ca) of 13.580 contain the word Jones (in connection with doping), and I:m over the top. Ok. Done here.

No, no, no. It's not the 370 (hell, I posted that many about her on a good (sic) day last year). You do excellent research and make excellent points, but there's just TMI going on now about her.
tafnut

Postby mojo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:43 am

bad hammy wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:EPelle, you know i love ya but if someone suggested that EPelle seems to be a little obsessed with the "Marion thing" i would have to think about my response. :?

QFE . . .

I have to ask what does QFE stand for?

Everone here seems to have an aspect of the sport that they are obssessed with. If you don't want to particpate in a thread then don't.

Can we say Pre, Webb,Asafa,BBC TV coverage.......Kelly Sotherton's javelin throwing....? :P
Last edited by mojo on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojo

Postby bad hammy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:44 am

mojo wrote:
bad hammy wrote:

QFE . . .

It's from hanging out with the youth of America ofver on DyeStat. Stands for Quoted For Emphasis. (I've seen it as Quoted For Effect also, but that makes less sense to me.)
bad hammy

Postby mojo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:46 am

bad hammy wrote:
mojo wrote:
bad hammy wrote:

QFE . . .

It's from hanging out with the youth of America ofver on DyeStat. Stands for Quoted For Emphasis. (I've seen it as Quoted For Effect also, but that makes less sense to me.)

Well aren't you the cool old curmudgeon. :wink:
mojo

Postby bad hammy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:52 am

mojo wrote:Well aren't you the cool old curmudgeon. :wink:

I've been told recently that it is 'cool old too-blunt curmudgeon' . . .
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:58 am

[quote="mojo"
Everone here seems to have an aspect of the sport that they are obssessed with. If you don't want to particpate in a thread then don't.

Can we say Pre, Webb,Asafa,BBC TV coverage.......Kelly Sotherton's javelin throwing....? :P[/quote]

Obsession is not necessarily bad at all. EPelle has been very informative.I was trying to illustrate why some posters are tired or uninterested in this subject at this point. EPelle has every right to carry on as he wished- with Gh's grace of course. I also have a right to my humble opinion.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby mojo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:05 am

Of course you do SQUACK it just seems strange for people to post that a thread is going on too much for their tatse . I bypass plenty of threads because they either don't interest me at all or I lose interest after it seems everyone has made their points.
I am just as guilty as anyone here of going on about a subject . :oops: :o

I certainly get the idea that we are "piling on" re MJ but if people don't like it then just stop reading about it.People piling on the piling oners is piling on too. :D :wink:
mojo

Postby tafnut » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 am

mojo wrote:I certainly get the idea that we are "piling on" re MJ but if people don't like it then just stop reading about it.People piling on the piling oners is piling on too. :D :wink:

Whether or not we 'witness' the 'piling on' it's still 'piling on'. (this is not a 'tree in the forest' :D ). Sometimes it occurs to me that Marion (or others, like Webb f'rinstance) might actually check out this place every once in a while. It is after all, THE USA T&F web-site of interest (letsrun is mostly distance, Trackshark mostly NCAA, Dyestat mostly HS), so why wouldn't athletes visit here? Do we really need to be posting such personal info about them? How would you feel if your whole life were dissected here? As someone who got BASHED - personally, not once but twice, on letsrun, just because I like to post here, it certainly made me uncomfortable.
tafnut

Postby mojo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:13 am

tafnut wrote:[? Do we really need to be posting such personal info about them? How would you feel if your whole life were dissected here? As someone who got BASHED - personally, not once but twice, on letsrun, just because I like to post here, it certainly made me uncomfortable.

The "personal info" on MJ is in the public record. It is fair game when someone famous gets in trouble with the law etc. Just look at Ms. Hilton. Okay don't! :? :roll: I don't feel I am attacking Jones but simply stating how the news about the messes she continually gets herself into to does not garner any sympathy from me.

I quite agree athletes probably do read things here. I find negative comments about weight and appearance to be very insensitive to that possibility and never participate in those threads.
We are not talking about anything like that when it comes to Ms. Jones. If you are an Olympic champion you are put on a pedestal as a role model and you usually cash it on that big time.She certainly did. If you don't live up to the hype or expectations then you can expect the public is going to talk about it.
Marion is no different than any other public figure. Yes her glory days are behind her and I imagine it won't be long before she completely fades away.
mojo

Postby trackrebel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:29 am

Tafnut is right. The way people treat Marion on the boards is not normal. She´s treated like a criminal. Hell, people are totally disrespecting.
trackrebel

Postby bad hammy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:16 pm

mojo wrote:I quite agree athletes probably do read things here. I find negative comments about weight and appearance to be very insensitive to that possibility and never participate in those threads.

We are not talking about anything like that when it comes to Ms. Jones. If you are an Olympic champion you are put on a pedestal as a role model and you usually cash it on that big time.She certainly did. If you don't live up to the hype or expectations then you can expect the public is going to talk about it.

Just because something is public knowledge does not make it polite to discuss. Athlete's height and weight are generally public knowledge as are photos of them before and after they blow up. Discussing MJ's finances to the extent that they are here in this thread, public knowledge or not, is just as insensitive as talking about somebody's big ass. And somebody’s all-of-a-sudden big ass or medically enhanced knockers is much more germane to performance on the track than how many cars they own or what they paid for them.
bad hammy

Postby Pego » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:16 am

bad hammy wrote:
mojo wrote:I quite agree athletes probably do read things here. I find negative comments about weight and appearance to be very insensitive to that possibility and never participate in those threads.

Just because something is public knowledge does not make it polite to discuss. Athlete's height and weight are generally public knowledge as are photos of them before and after they blow up. Discussing MJ's finances to the extent that they are here in this thread, public knowledge or not, is just as insensitive as talking about somebody's big ass. And somebody’s all-of-a-sudden big ass or medically enhanced knockers is much more germane to performance on the track than how many cars they own or what they paid for them.

Precisely!
Pego

Postby MJD » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:31 am

That's why it is on the TNTF forum. If it offends your sensibilities, don't open it up. I'm agnostic on the whole thing, by the way, except for the idiotic speculation about what she may or may not have or had and that has nothing to do with her. I did enjoy bad hammy giving advice a la Ms Manners though!
MJD

Postby Pego » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:13 am

MJD wrote:That's why it is on the TNTF forum. If it offends your sensibilities, don't open it up. I'm agnostic on the whole thing, by the way, except for the idiotic speculation about what she may or may not have or had and that has nothing to do with her. I did enjoy bad hammy giving advice a la Ms Manners though!

It does not "offend my sensibilities", I simply consider it in bad taste. I have these three questions for the ones that are so interested in MJ's personal life, including her finances.

1. Is it necessary?
2. Is it right?
3. Does it serve any purpose?
Pego

Postby tafnut » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:38 am

MJD wrote:I did enjoy bad hammy giving advice a la Ms Manners though!

:lol:
tafnut

Postby bad hammy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:45 am

Pego wrote:
MJD wrote:That's why it is on the TNTF forum. If it offends your sensibilities, don't open it up. I'm agnostic on the whole thing, by the way, except for the idiotic speculation about what she may or may not have or had and that has nothing to do with her.

It does not "offend my sensibilities", I simply consider it in bad taste.

What he said.

MJD wrote:I did enjoy bad hammy giving advice a la Ms Manners though!

Etiquette is my specialty . . .
bad hammy

Postby mojo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:36 am

bad hammy wrote:

That is absoulutely ridiculous.
Why is it impolite to discuss a court case which happens to involve money?

You honestly believe discussing the size of a woman's boobs or butt is more valid than discussing a legal matter which is in mainstream, reputable newspapers?
You guys TRY and make the discussion of females bodies germaine to their athleteic performances but you don't fool me. :roll:

For the record I am only mildly interested in the whole Jones debacle. I wish she would just go away but if she continues to do things that attract media attention and involve the legal system then yeah I am going to pay some attention.
I could care less who she is married to, if she is having a a baby and what she is going to do with the rest of her life. I don't wish her ill will either.
mojo

Postby bad hammy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:56 am

mojo wrote:That is absoulutely ridiculous.

Pego agrees with me, and has never screamed in my ear . . . :lol:
bad hammy

Next