Marion Jones Flat Broke?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Marion Jones Flat Broke?

Postby EPelle » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:09 pm

According to recent court records, reviewed by The Times, Jones says that her millions of dollars are gone and that she has "total liquid assets throughout the world" of about $2,000.

Last year, she said, a bank foreclosed on her $2.5-million chateau-style "dream home" in an area of Chapel Hill, N.C., where Michael Jordan and Dean Smith were among her neighbors.

And this year, records show, Jones sold two other North Carolina houses, including one where her mother lived, raising "money to pay bills," she said.

Jones has since retained attorneys for her BALCO grand jury testimony, for negotiations with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in her fight to avoid being banned from competition, for a defamation lawsuit she filed against BALCO founder Victor Conte, who accused her of taking performance-enhancing drugs, and for taking on Pfaff in her breach-of-contract suit. That suit had the added side effect of exposing her financial problems to public view.

Steve Riddick, Jones' most recent coach, said Jones has complained to him that a few track meets had failed to pay her last year, but the coach said he also noticed Jones was driving a Porsche sport utility vehicle to their 2006 practices. "I didn't see any signs that she was struggling," Riddick said.

The coach said he asked Jones this week if she intended to race again. "She hasn't decided, but I anticipate she'll want to get ready for the Olympic Games one more time," Riddick said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mar ... &cset=true

Who here believes she won any significant amount of settlement money from Conte? Or won any at all? Conte has since gone back on record stating that he has told the world all along that Marion Jones was using performance-enhancing drugs, and her lawsuit was a publicity stunt. One can maintain that she won the settlement, but her lawsuit cost money. Fair enough. She never sued ESPN the Magazine for libel for carrying the exact same story that Conte stated on "20/20". She never sued Flex Magazine. She never sued Conte again for stating that she was an endorser of ZMA -- a claim which is STILL on his website today (link 1; link 2) -- despite her categorical denial of ever using his products.

Recall, if you will, that Conte:s attorneys were about to take depositions from Jones and all purported to be in the know who could substantiate -- or deny -- claims that Conte had made regarding Jones alleged drugs usage when the settlement suddenly came about (The San Francisco Chronicle reported that in court papers filed in 2006-january, Conte:s attorney, James Wagstaffe, wrote that Conte:s defence team intended to take those of Marion Jones, C.J. Hunter, and Tim Montgomery). Everyone believed it was Conte who folded his cards and opted out. What you may not know is that Conte was granted a stay of testimony by US District Judge Susan White during the Marian (sic) Jones vs Victor Conte case as to have Conte not self-incriminate due to his on-going BALCO trial.

Recall, also, that Jones team stated that Conte was lying about her drugs use, and asked one simple thing of Conte to step up to the plate and prove his cooperation in the matter, that is to say, take a polygraph test by a respected administrator and pass it as did Jones.

What would have happened had he passed the lie-detector test? Honestly.

The three questions he was asked to submit truthful answers to were: Had he ever given Marion Jones drugs; Did he witness her taking drugs on the dates he stated he provided those drugs; Did he leak grand jury testimony to Fainaru-Wada and Williams?

They believed they had him pinned on the third question, and, with his refusal to submit to one, they told the world that Conte was a liar who faced a 42-count indictment from the government and was facing a lot of prison time. As we all know, all but two counts were dropped, and the "long prison term" was a total of four months in daycare somewhere outside of Bakersfield.

To cover their tracks, they stated that if he wasn:t lying, his statements were involuntariy coerced.

Conte had a legal right not to answer the first two questions -- he had a stay ordered by Judge Illston to abstain from answering questions which could be used as evidence in United States vs Victor Conte criminal proceedings. Regarding the third question, if Conte leaked grand jury testimony: We know he had absolutely nothing to do with it. Troy Ellerman did.

So had Conte actually submitted to this polygraph test, theoretically speaking, and passed it, what excuse would have come about -- that he:s a good enough liar and composed enough to not tip his hand when under pressure?

She sued him for 25M-USD -- a huge figure for willfully disparaging her character and assassinating it, as it were. She was going to show him, and he was going to pay a mighty fine for his disregard for the truth!

Either Riddick doesn:t know, or Marion Jones doesn:t show, but one of the two camps is out in the deep blue sea when it comes to her pregnancy and reasons for missing this track season -- especially if she has such financial trauma.

edit: incorrect name...changed "White" to "Illston"
Last edited by EPelle on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPelle

Re: Marion Jones Flat Broke?

Postby malmo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:17 pm

EPelle wrote:
According to recent court records, reviewed by The Times, Jones says that her millions of dollars are gone and that she has "total liquid assets throughout the world" of about $2,000.

Last year, she said, a bank foreclosed on her $2.5-million chateau-style "dream home" in an area of Chapel Hill, N.C., where Michael Jordan and Dean Smith were among her neighbors.

And this year, records show, Jones sold two other North Carolina houses, including one where her mother lived, raising "money to pay bills," she said.

Jones has since retained attorneys for her BALCO grand jury testimony, for negotiations with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in her fight to avoid being banned from competition, for a defamation lawsuit she filed against BALCO founder Victor Conte, who accused her of taking performance-enhancing drugs, and for taking on Pfaff in her breach-of-contract suit. That suit had the added side effect of exposing her financial problems to public view.

Steve Riddick, Jones' most recent coach, said Jones has complained to him that a few track meets had failed to pay her last year, but the coach said he also noticed Jones was driving a Porsche sport utility vehicle to their 2006 practices. "I didn't see any signs that she was struggling," Riddick said.

The coach said he asked Jones this week if she intended to race again. "She hasn't decided, but I anticipate she'll want to get ready for the Olympic Games one more time," Riddick said.

Did he leak grand jury testimony to Fainaru-Wada and Williams?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? There was nothing preventing Victor Conte from leaking his grand jury testimony.
malmo

Postby eldrick » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:29 pm

EPelle wrote:Conte has since gone back on record stating that he has told the world all along that Marion Jones was using performance-enhancing drugs, and her lawsuit was a publicity stunt

gh

can you do something

the obsessed viking seems to have finally cracked & is now defaming non-positive test athletes by back-door means of a ( criminal ) 3rd person
eldrick

Postby EPelle » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Clearing that up: Her attorneys asked if Conte was the source of the leaks, specifically, to the SF Chronicle. They wanted to paint him as a law-breaker who should not be trusted on those grounds.
EPelle

Postby EPelle » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:36 pm

eldrick wrote:gh

can you do something

the obsessed viking seems to have finally cracked & is now defaming non-positive test athletes by back-door means of a ( criminal ) 3rd person

No one is taking a back-door approach to defaming Jones. The question is raised about her three-question polygraph insistance. No one has ever counter-raised that question since Ellerman has claimed responsibility for part three. Her attorneys weren:t interested in the first two questions, because they knew Conte couldn:t speak on behalf of that without risking criminal prosecution from the same judge. They banked everything on question number three. When they realised that Conte may not have been lying, they included a statement about his deposition being illegally coerced from him.

Argue now with the LA Times, who:ve done the talking. They see a bigger picture here, namely Jones is broke. Conte is riding high and living large, and his 25M-USD lawsuit gal is riding low and pank.
EPelle

Postby malmo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:17 am

EPelle wrote:Clearing that up: Her attorneys asked if Conte was the source of the leaks, specifically, to the SF Chronicle. They wanted to paint him as a law-breaker who should not be trusted on those grounds.

How does that clear up anything.? Conte is allowed to leak his testimony to you, me, the San Francisco Chronicle, or anyone else.

http://www.abanet.org/media/faqjury.html

malmo

Postby eldrick » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:09 am

gh

the mad viking has opened up your dope-forum here once more...
eldrick

Postby Mennisco » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:26 am

EPelle wrote:According to recent court records, reviewed by The Times, Jones says that her millions of dollars are gone and that she has "total liquid assets throughout the world" of about $2,000.

Sorry Eldy but I want to make a joke here, I wonder what sort of vessels contain the liquid assets?
Mennisco

Postby mrbowie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:04 am

Yes, I can totally believe she is broke and then some.
mrbowie

Postby JRM » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:05 am

They did a piece on Conte and his new "lab" on NPR the other day, including a highlight of his "Wall of Shame":

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=11258081
JRM

Postby eldrick » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:13 am

Mennisco wrote:Sorry Eldy but I want to make a joke here, I wonder what sort of vessels contain the liquid assets?

one of her parents comes from a small caribbean island

the "vessel" i presume she put some/most of those euro meetings' earnings over the years are a cayman island/bahamian/bermudan bank account... :P

she may be "broke" in america, but i doubt that applies to the bank account named :

"marion jones - cayman islands bank higher-interest deposit account, account number xxxxxxx"
eldrick

Postby EPelle » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:22 am

malmo wrote:
EPelle wrote:Clearing that up: Her attorneys asked if Conte was the source of the leaks, specifically, to the SF Chronicle. They wanted to paint him as a law-breaker who should not be trusted on those grounds.

How does that clear up anything.? Conte is allowed to leak his testimony to you, me, the San Francisco Chronicle, or anyone else.

http://www.abanet.org/media/faqjury.html

malmo, that was the question his attorneys asked him. What they were trying to get from that is between them and Conte. He didn:t answer the question, and they attempted to paint him with a liar tag. The real source to that particular question wasn:t Conte.

eldrick, no one is opening up the dope forum. Jones is pank. She settled the defamation lawsuit with Conte. The only question which arises now is such: Is it possible she won nothing from the settlement at all? She never went after any of the libelous sources who carried Conte:s messages. The quote you lifted from me in appealing to gh (rather than looking at the whole of what I was saying) is applicable for this topic, insofar as Conte pointed a finger again last year and said I told you so when that "A"-sample test was revealed... we:re talking about MONEY, not drugs. Don:t get so defensive. She could have sued him again for smearing her name across the planet. She didn:t. Did she sue anyone at all?
EPelle

Postby bad hammy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:38 am

I have no idea what this thread is about or why anyone cares anymore about MJ. That story is done . . .
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:44 am

No, that story will likely re-start in september, unfortunately for reasons obvious to all. Tell the LA Times to stop wasting trees and salary for stories that are dead wood.
EPelle

Postby trackrebel » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:49 am

just because You don´t care about Marion Jones, doesn´t mean noone else does!

I am a big fan of Marion and find it very sad. Because to this day, nothing has been proving that would make her a cheat...she lost the money tryin to defend herself...not the first person who loses all the money like that, while the current US women´s 100m champion is running after serving time (no dissing towards Tori...she served her time and is free to compete), but Marion has never been proven anything and is treated like the Antichrist, the choice of people surrounding her might not have always been the best, but I have had tons of friends who stole, sold and used illegal drugs.....but I never did anything like that.......

It amazes me how some people on the internet (I´m not talking about someone in general) are happy about someones losses.

I pray for her that everything will work out fine and that she will somehow make a comeback and live a happy life.
trackrebel

Postby tandfman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:51 am

eldrick wrote:she may be "broke" in america, but i doubt that applies to the bank account named :

"marion jones - cayman islands bank higher-interest deposit account, account number xxxxxxx"

The story linked to the post that started this thread said:
Jones says that her millions of dollars are gone and that she has "total liquid assets throughout the world" of about $2,000.

Assuming the Cayman Islands are still part of this world, and assuming she's telling the truth, she's broke there too.
tandfman

Postby eldrick » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:56 am

EPelle wrote:eldrick, no one is opening up the dope forum. Jones is pank. She settled the defamation lawsuit with Conte. The only question which arises now is such: Is it possible she won nothing from the settlement at all? She never went after any of the libelous sources who carried Conte:s messages. The quote you lifted from me in appealing to gh (rather than looking at the whole of what I was saying) is applicable for this topic, insofar as Conte pointed a finger again last year and said I told you so when that "A"-sample test was revealed... we:re talking about MONEY, not drugs. Don:t get so defensive. She could have sued him again for smearing her name across the planet. She didn:t. Did she sue anyone at all?

bullshit

she presumably got little settlement out of anyone ( conte woud rather declare bankruptcy than pay anyone anything ), but bottom line is where has this multi-millionaires' money gone ?

these law suits at most cost her a few $10,000s dollars ( as they never went far ) - chickenfeed compared to what she had earnt

if you want to answer the question as to why she's broke, go search for the likely causes of profligate spending/bad investments/etc not chickenfeed/chickenshit lawyer expenses of a coupla cases which barely lasted more than a few writs

however, your obssesion of going straight for drug-related material for every marion story makes your initial post nonsense - why the f^"K did you not go look for material on her spending habits/investment history, but rather than your "pavlovian/ocd" of :

marion = must make it a drug story

gotta make this a drug/balco story as it mentions marion or otherwise i can't function

i'm requesting gh to formally warn you to cut out the balco/drug crap you instantly post in order to satisfy your ocd, every time you see any new marion story on the planet

thank you gh
eldrick

Postby TrakFan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:18 am

bad hammy wrote:I have no idea what this thread is about or why anyone cares anymore about MJ. That story is done . . .

She definitely appears to be an obsession for some...even when she is nowhere near a track.
TrakFan

Postby Pego » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:25 am

trackrebel wrote:I am a big fan of Marion and find it very sad.

Welcome to the club.
Pego

Postby EPelle » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:26 am

trackrebel wrote:It amazes me how some people on the internet (I´m not talking about someone in general) are happy about someones losses.

I don:t think any rational person here is happy about someone:s financial demise. No one is singing praise god for the miracle he performed in dooming the life out of such-and-such person. This is terrible news, especially when it is of the calibre of person such as a Marion Jones. One is disappointed to hear it to say the least.

The investigative side to the story goes deeper and asks one to consider facts as to why she is broke. Her reasons (fighting allegations) are all valid ones. Some of those reasons don:t add up to a war, rather a few battles. When a Victor Conte is sued, and appears to win, you go for the throat the next time if you are hard on cash... you go for everyone:s throats. Never happened.
EPelle