how about a legal list?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

how about a legal list?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:51 pm

How about USADA starts a database of legal and illegal substances that is easily accessible through the internet? Athletes and coaches could submit questions to the USADA and then a substance will be classified. This would allow for new substances to automatically be added to the list as athletes plan to ingest them.

This would end the "it wasn't on the list" excuse once and for all. If you're gonna use something you will have to get it approved.

This system would make the assumption that if it is not on the list, then it is illegal.

Re: how about a legal list?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:10 pm

your missing the point. THG was designed to be undetectable. modafinil was not spposed to show up because it was not tested for directly. its not a matter of whether its legal or not. they are cheaters. "related substances" covers a lot of ground, and the athletes that took these drugs knew they were cheating and deserve to be banned for life.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:29 am

This would end the "its not on the list" argument and make the penalties come a lot quicked than the dancing around we do right now.

The current system is too hard to understand for stupid athletes. They believe that "not on the list" means they thought of something new and that they are special.

Postby rmayes » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:41 am

The problem I have is I doubt the athletes willing to cheat at this point would be satisfied with a "legal list" of substances...this is a chemical arms race, they are doing this so they can win. I doubt some of these people would be willing to disclose anything to the USADA or anyone else for fear of a competitor finding out (or for fear that it will be added to the banned list and they'll loose their edge). You'll still have substances that are not on either list (because again I doubt everyone will disclose all their little secrets to the USADA) which will be assumed OK by athletes with the mindset to cheat.
rmayes

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:10 am

the point is that assumptions cannot be made. if you want to take something and not end up banned for life, then ask the USASA to analyze it.

lets make it so the best athlete wins, not the best excuse or acting job