-Summary-

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

-Summary-

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:22 pm

I'm not sure if any of you share my pessimism but this is what it boils down to. Cheaters will continue cheating until they get caught. This whole situation doesn’t change a thing except, for the moment, the testing has caught up to the level of cheating. And just like before some time in the near future some other coach will anonymously turn in some other sample of some other drug and cause the whole thing to just repeat itself.

Re: -Summary-

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:03 pm

>I'm not sure if any of you share my pessimism but
this is what it boils down to. Cheaters will
continue cheating until they get caught. This
whole situation doesn’t change a thing except,
for the moment, the testing has caught up to the
level of cheating. <

It has? For that to be true, we'd have to believe that THG is the only designer steroid out there and that Modafinil is the only substance that serves as a stimulant but that was not previously being widely tested for. My guess is that we've caught some of the cheats, but by no means all. The dopers have always been ahead of the testers. Maybe the gap has been narrowed, but eliminated? I doubt it.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:18 pm

Realist is right.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:49 pm

I think you misinterpreted me. In this particular instance doping agencies have caught up to the use of these drugs. I was not implying that it is consistent across the board. If anything I was stating that drug testing on this large of a stage with this caliber of athletes is almost useless. If an athlete wants to cheat they will find a way whether it’s another undisclosed drug, a new masking agent, or whatever else is going to be dreamed up in the future. There will never be a level playing field. This crisis is the result of the uncovering of merely one or two drugs.