Calvin, Glover, Gaines, Thomas, ect.....

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Calvin, Glover, Gaines, Thomas, ect.....

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:05 pm

Ok, If all of these athletes tested "Positive" for Modafinil at the USATF's in June why were they allowed to run at the worlds? Modafinil was not a mystery steriod that a new test was made up for. Why the delay? Why are we reading about it ilate october when White teted positive at the worlds it was open season days later....what's the ticket here?

Re: Calvin, Glover, Gaines, Thomas, ect.....

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:44 am

"Robert Wagner, the agent for White, Phillips and Glover, said Phillips told the IAAF that Korchemny gave him a modafinil tablet at the worlds because he was having trouble sleeping.

"None of these athletes thought this was a prohibited substance, they were taking it all summer," Wagner told the AP by telephone from Austria. "It's like melatonin. When Americans come to Europe, they take it to get over the jet lag."

Uh Bob. Not doing these people any favours.
Now specifically when were they taking it and what events were they competing in at the time...?

Postby fucking lane 10 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:15 am

So why then did White claim she had narcolepsy then and she has a history of it?..why didn't she just say " I have been using it to get over jet lag...

Backpedalling at its best. They are taking it because it gives them an "up" like a stimulant. But did they know about the related substance clause and what it was related to?

I see both sides here, although I would still like to see them punished because the intent was to get an advantage.
fucking lane 10

Postby Powell » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:06 am

So... I suppose Gaines was also jet lagged at the US Champs in Palo Alto, which took place what, 5 miles from her home?
Powell

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:27 am

>So why then did White claim she had narcolepsy
>then and she has a history of it?..why didn't she
>just say " I have been using it to get over jet
>lag...

That quickly became the party line as soon as the Phillips positive weakened the narcolepsy argument. I brought that up in the discussion with eddie on another thread. It begs at least one question. Why have only sprinters been nailed so far? Don't distance runners suffer from jet lag?
As far as Powell's comments are concerned, it is possible that Gaines flew in from Europe but I'm sure someone can easily check all of these athletes' schedules and see if the jet lag argument looks reasonable given that they were on this stuff "all summer". The other question that it begs, of course, is that now that we know that they were taking it "all summer"(if one of these athletes is as shockingly stupid as Mr. Wagner and actually confirms what he is saying is true), what happens to their results from the summer.
MJD

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:48 am

Did very quickly so there could be mistakes:

Phillips:
8 days between last Euro race and Nats
http://www.tilastopaja.com/db/atm.asp?ID=7622
Gaines:
40 days between last international race and Nats
http://www.tilastopaja.com/db/atw.asp?ID=3842
White:
40 days between last international race and Nats
http://www.tilastopaja.com/db/atw.asp?ID=10056
Harrison:
40 days between last international competition and Nats
http://www.tilastopaja.com/db/atm.asp?ID=6354
Glover:
10 days between the last Euro race and Nats
http://www.tilastopaja.com/db/atw.asp?ID=17845
MJD

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:49 am

Since " Various " news organizations reporting the A test results, does open a door fo a lawsuit against USADA for breach of privicy in the cases to Toth and Jacobs since the B samples have not been oppened?

Postby Asterix » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:30 am

>Since " Various " news organizations reporting
>the A test results, does open a door fo a lawsuit
>against USADA for breach of privicy in the cases
>to Toth and Jacobs since the B samples have not
>been oppened?

How are you going to figure out who to sue? Do you have a name from USADA? Do you know it wasn't the athlete or someone the athlete told who squeeled? Do you know it wasn't USATF or even the IAAF who leaked it? All these people were legitimately informed and any of them could be the source of the info.
Asterix

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:33 am

How are
>you going to figure out who to sue? Do you have
>a name from USADA? Do you know it wasn't the
>athlete or someone the athlete told who squeeled?
>Do you know it wasn't USATF or even the IAAF who
>leaked it? All these people were legitimately
>informed and any of them could be the source of
>the info.

Not to mention what are the damages if the B comes back positive.