Say it ain't so, Regina!!


This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:57 am

look down about 30 threads - old news
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:02 am

ok, I'm just catching up with all the threads..missed the regina angle
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby bubba » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:04 am

You've got a lot to catch up on! :-)
bubba
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:30 am

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:10 am

If Regina is indeed guilty, I am crushed. She appears to be someone all about hard work and fair play. If Regina's guilty which stars can we trust?

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I can imagine a steriod would help a skinny middle to long distance runner that much. Maybe it was to help get over a muscle injury. Either way shame on her if its true.
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:19 am

I would think that the older you are the more steroids WOULD help with recovery, strength, etc.
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:31 am

there's an interesting grey area between legitimate drugs to recover and drug use which is illegal.

The aspirin every now and then, in the purest sense, to a complete idealist is a form of cheating.

For those economically fortunate enough to have access to sleeping in an altitude chamber. do they NOT derive a benefit, which less affluent folks do not.

and to extend it even further, most would admit california offers great year round training...

what about the economically challenged who can't afford the travel and living expenses to train there...

isn't some form of advantage, unfair or not, exhibited here too...
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Asterix » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:48 am

>there's an interesting grey area between
>legitimate drugs to recover and drug use which is
>illegal.

In all sports there are various rules, some apparently more arbitrary than others, which define how the game is to be played. Those who do not follow those rules, whether that be don't spit on the baseball or don't take this particular substance, are not playing within the rules and therefore not being fair to those who are. They should be punished.

Basketball confers advantages to those of greater biologic height. Swimming confers advantages to those of greater economic status who can afford access to pools. Are either "unfair" to those not similar advantaged? Or is it just the nature of the game?
Asterix
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Jon » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:04 am

>If Regina is indeed guilty, I am crushed. She
>appears to be someone all about hard work and
>fair play. If Regina's guilty which stars can we
>trust?

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I can
>imagine a steriod would help a skinny middle to
>long distance runner that much. Maybe it was to
>help get over a muscle injury. Either way shame
>on her if its true.



No, you're not old-fashioned - just naive. Like I said before on the other Regina threads...

"...the fact that she broke her PB (and set a WR in the process) at age 40 didn't start the alarm bells ringing? (Coupled with the fact that she doesn't have an ounce of fat on her - all muscle and sinew). She's had great longevity (been round since 1988) but for someone with that sort of longevity, you'd expect them to set their PBs in their late 20's and early 30's.

Setting a WR at age 40 is all a bit questionable..."
Jon
 
Posts: 9231
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:49 am

well, I wonder what Suzy is thinking right now...
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby MJD » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:56 am

No, you're not old-fashioned - just
>naive. Like I said before on the other Regina
>threads...

Setting a WR at age 40 is all a bit
>questionable..."

The letsrun boys have had her in their sights for years. Part of their case rested on the meets that she would compete in and meets she wouldn't and whether or not those meets had drug testing or not. When they first put the link up of her positive, there was obvious glee.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:03 pm

Your saying their case rested on knowing that in NONE of the dozens of USATF Champs Regina competed in, or multiple Olympics and World Champs (indoors and outdoors) there was drug testing, right? Never mind we all know there was.

The only major she never ran in after making the team was, I beleve, Sydney '00. That's the basis?

What absolute twaddle (whether she's guilty or not, which there seems little dobut about).
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby MJD » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:09 pm

>What absolute twaddle

Not defending them-just passing it on what part of their argument was FWIW...

>(whether she's
>guilty or not, which there seems little dobut
>about).

...although now it appears that you agree with them notwithstanding the fact that the B sample is forthcoming.
MJD
 
Posts: 13402
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:38 pm

>Setting a WR at age 40 is all a bit
>questionable...

To run 3:59.98, even indoors and even 6 months short of 40, is not all that questionable, when you consider the following:

1. She's been capable of running 4:00-4:05 for a long time. Even Mary Decker-Slaney ran 4:03 at 38.

2. The outdoor world record is 3:50.46, although many speculate on what the Chinese were doing in 1993. The indoor world record of 4:00.72 should have been broken a long time ago, by anyone.

3. No one seems to recall that a certain 42-YEAR-OLD broke 4:00.00 at least twice (gotta check my magazines again) in 1994 (topped by a 3:59.78), and ranked NUMBER ONE in the world that year. Does the name YEKATERINA PODKOPAYEVA ring a bell?

If Regina's B-sample comes up dirty (pray otherwise, as was the case for Bernard Lagat, but it doesn't look good from where I sit), what does that say about Podkopayeva's 1994 season, let alone anyone in their mid-to-late-30s and even their early-40s?
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:43 pm

They may have gotten the correct result but they would have gotten a failing grade based on their logic. She could have gone to any meet she missed with THG in her system and no one would have ever known.
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Jon » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:35 pm

>>Setting a WR at age 40 is all a
>bit
>questionable...

To run 3:59.98, even
>indoors and even 6 months short of 40, is not all
>that questionable, when you consider the
>following:

1. She's been capable of running
>4:00-4:05 for a long time. Even Mary
>Decker-Slaney ran 4:03 at 38.

2. The outdoor
>world record is 3:50.46, although many speculate
>on what the Chinese were doing in 1993. The
>indoor world record of 4:00.72 should have been
>broken a long time ago, by anyone.

3. No one
>seems to recall that a certain 42-YEAR-OLD broke
>4:00.00 at least twice (gotta check my magazines
>again) in 1994 (topped by a 3:59.78), and ranked
>NUMBER ONE in the world that year. Does the name
>YEKATERINA PODKOPAYEVA ring a bell?

If
>Regina's B-sample comes up dirty (pray otherwise,
>as was the case for Bernard Lagat, but it doesn't
>look good from where I sit), what does that say
>about Podkopayeva's 1994 season, let alone anyone
>in their mid-to-late-30s and even their
>early-40s?




It's not so much the WR that I'm questioning (yes, it's a soft record and was there for the taking), but for anyone to run sub-4 minutes for the first time in their career (especially careers spanning 15+ years) and to set a PB - that's gonna cause speculation.

She first made a name for herself way back in the 1988 (of all years!) OG trials, at the age of 25. Now, for someone to come out and run 4:00 at such a young age, you'd expect them to quickly capitalize on that and go on chipping away at that time year after year. Not in Regina's case - she stayed at the 4:01-4:10 level for ages, then at age 39 1/2, bamn - she breaks 4 mins for the first time - 15 years after running 4:00.

Podkapayeva may have been capable of sub-4min at 42 years old, but it wasn't a PB for her - it was 3 seconds down on her best.

Apart from all this sub-4min at 40 crap, just look at the woman! All muscle and sinew - not an ounce of fat on her! People this side of the Atlantic have been speculating about her for ages. Wake up and smell the coffee!!
Jon
 
Posts: 9231
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:40 pm

<<They may have gotten the correct result but they would have gotten a failing grade based on their logic. She could have gone to any meet she missed with THG in her system and no one would have ever known.>>

Quite probably. She only ran in 3 meets this year. Come to think of it, she ran in very few meets in 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2001.

I forgot one more detail on Podkopayeva: She was the oldest woman to win a World Championship, in the 1997 indoor 1,500 (beating 38-year-old Mary Decker-Slaney), 8 months short of 45! Regina was 5 months short of 40 when she won this year.
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:50 pm

One other note: Regina's an asthmatic, last time I heard. What would she be doing with THG in her system?? Or could it be that her asthma medication contains THG (quite likely, but I'm not so sure in this case) and she didn't know it?

And the marathon was starting to look good for her. I'll say one thing: That certainly thins our prospects for the women's 1,500 and 5K, as well as the women's 4x100 world record if Chryste gets the boot for 2004, whether Marion is on the relay or not. And there are yet to be more names revealed in the latest dragnet.
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:13 pm

>> All muscle and
>sinew - not an ounce of fat on her! >>

Wow, just like every Kenyan you've ever seen! Who knew that the principal ingredient in ugali was THG?!
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:15 pm

I'll say one thing: That certainly
>thins our prospects for the women's 1,500 and 5K,
>as well as the women's 4x100 world record if
>Chryste gets the boot for 2004, whether Marion is
>on the relay or not. And there are yet to be
>more names revealed in the latest dragnet.>

I'm not sure anyone caught with modafinil will get a two year ban.
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:25 pm

>>I'm not sure anyone caught with
>modafinil will get a two year ban.>>

No shit, Sherlock! Doesn't anybody pay attention to facts before posting anymore?!!! Let's say this for you one more time. Read it real slow so it sinks in (and excuse my caps yelling)

MODAFINIL IS A MILD STIMULANT, NOT A STEROID.
IF YOU GET CAUGHT USING MODAFINIL THEY TAKE AWAY THE MEET IN WHICH YOU USED IT, NOTHING ELSE
THERE ARE NO DOWN THE LINE PENALTIES FOR HAVING USED MODAFINIL

Do I need to add that the Gaines positive was for Modafinil, not steroids? (well, so far)
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:54 pm

>One other note: Regina's an asthmatic, last time
>I heard. What would she be doing with THG in her
>system?? Or could it be that her asthma
>medication contains THG (quite likely, but I'm
>not so sure in this case) and she didn't know
>it?

Prior to two weeks ago, the existence of THG really wasn't known, or at least documented as having any beneficial medical uses.

Instead of dreaming up all kinds of innocent reasons why this stuff would be in their systems, how about thinking of the most likely reasons. Ockham's Razor, you know...

I'm just utterly aghast at the trend I see here: innocent until proven unquestionably innocent!
Guest
 

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:58 pm

Please, at least spell my name right. I'm quite sensitive about that you know.
Guest
 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest