Thomas and Glover!

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Thomas and Glover!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:43 am

You may like to check out LA Times too...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/ ... news-alert

Re: Thomas and Glover!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:01 am

Look how casually their names are mentioned - like it's no big deal any more.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:13 am

Well, not to sound like I'm soft on drugs, but these Modafinil positives shouldn't be viewed as any big deal. At least not until they get linked to being THG maskers. It's a minor-minor offense that costs yo only the meet you were in--same as cold medication--and when these people took it it wasn't on any banned list. Some may have had devious thoughts in mind, but, full of the milk of human kindness, I prefer to think that many/most took it in complete innocence.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:37 am

"I prefer to think that many/most took it in complete innocence."

well, not COMPLETE innocence.

Postby Powell » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:40 am

>Well, not to sound like I'm soft on drugs, but
>these Modafinil positives shouldn't be viewed as
>any big deal. At least not until they get linked
>to being THG maskers. It's a minor-minor offense
>that costs yo only the meet you were in--same as
>cold medication--and when these people took it it
>wasn't on any banned list. Some may have had
>devious thoughts in mind, but, full of the milk
>of human kindness, I prefer to think that
>many/most took it in complete innocence.

I know that Modafinil isn't hard stuff, but... 'complete innocence' ???? This is a prescription drug, whose only legitimate use is in cases of narcolepsy. Human kindness or not, how likely is it anyone can get it into their system accidentally or by mistake ???
Powell

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:47 am

>???? This is a prescription drug, whose only
>legitimate use is in cases of narcolepsy.

Exactly. You can't be in possession of a prescription drug without a prescription for it. That's illegal.

Postby MJD » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:52 am

>>???? This is a prescription drug, whose
>only
>legitimate use is in cases of narcolepsy.
>

Exactly. You can't be in possession of a
>prescription drug without a prescription for it.
>That's illegal.

Plus these idiots have to learn to get their stories straight as someone pointed out on darkwing from the Post:

"Phillips coaches himself, but he told the IAAF Korchemny gave him a
modafinil pill before the 110-meter hurdle semifinals at the August world
championships in Paris because he was having trouble sleeping, his agent
Robert Wagner said yesterday."

Trouble sleeping!!??
MJD

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:00 am

I guess Modafinil is like the wompom. There's nothing it cannot do.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:07 am

Trouble sleeping at night means you're probably tired during the day, prone to falling asleep like a narcoleptic. So maybe it's not so bogus to say that's why you took it. Modanfil seems designed to perk you up -- which also is exactly why these athletes took it, as an attempt to get a stimulant in their systems that wasn't listed as illegal.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:22 am

>>I know that Modafinil
>isn't hard stuff, but... 'complete innocence'
>???? This is a prescription drug, whose only
>legitimate use is in cases of narcolepsy. Human
>kindness or not, how likely is it anyone can get
>it into their system accidentally or by mistake>

White, at least, had a scrip, and said it was for narcolepsy. The others look pretty silly though. (or is it, sillier?)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:32 am

"White, at least, had a scrip, and said it was for narcolepsy. The others look pretty silly though"

Doesn't she look all the sillier for trying to pawn it off as narcolepsy medicine?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:03 am

>>>White, at least, had a scrip, and said it was for narcolepsy. The others look pretty silly though. (or is it, sillier?)<

Sez who? Have you seen it? I mean, maybe she does have narcolepsy, and maybe she did have a scrip. But in view of all of the other Modafinil cases popping up, do you seriously believe anything she's said? As far as I'm concerned the burden is on her to prove that this narcolepsy thing isn't just a crock.

Frankly, I won't be surprised if she just abandons any defense of her case and gives up her titles quietly, to avoid subjecting herself to further adverse publicity and even ridicule.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:21 am

"I won't be surprised if she just abandons any defense of her case and gives up her titles quietly"

wow - that WOULD surprise me - how many athletes have ever done that?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:52 am

Some of the comments on these forum tell exactly why drugs in sports will persist: the rationalizations; the willingness to give the proverbial benefit of the doubt; the willingness to start to determine which is 'hard' stuff and which is 'soft' stuff. If one person had tested positive for M, it would hardly be an issue. However, when several persons start testing positive, it should be a red flag.

I am sick of these US track and field cheats. They have been made to feel that they can get away with cheating because of the attitude that the USATF has often taken. If they test positive, they are not subject to public shame and disdain; they can go quietly into that good night. When you remove the possibility of public shame, people will try anything to get by!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:57 am

>wow - that WOULD surprise me - how many athletes have ever done that?<

I dunno. How many athletes have ever publicly proclaimed their innocence based on an excuse that turned out to be pure bullshit. If she can't prove that narcolepsy defense, she might as well not defend at all.

Anyway, the answer to your question is plenty of them. You don't remember them because without a protracted and public process of adjudication, you see the itme only once, when it's announced that the athlete has been suspended for two years. It happens all the time. When athletes know they're guilty, they often decide not to spend a lot of money trying to prove they're not.

Postby Asterix » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:03 am

I dunno. How many
>athletes have ever publicly proclaimed their
>innocence based on an excuse that turned out to
>be pure bullshit.

Sex & beer did it. Tampered toothpaste did it. Birth control pills did it. But I certainly didn't do it.
Asterix

Postby abinferno » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:25 am

I bet White doesn't know what narcolepsy is.
abinferno

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:30 am

NOW she does.

Postby TripleJumper2 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:12 pm

Well, I am certain that this is not all a coincidence that after White's positive test in Paris, that all these other athletes are showing up with the same stuff.
TripleJumper2

Postby Asterix » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:22 pm

>Well, I am certain that this is not all a
>coincidence that after White's positive test in
>Paris, that all these other athletes are showing
>up with the same stuff.

Well, you obviously have been keeping on top of the latest happenings. You definitely did not miss the numerous reportings (endlessly linked on this very board) of testers going back to previously examined samples now that they knew they should be looking for THG and Modafinil.
Asterix