Why?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Why?

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:03 pm

For the life of me I am trying to figure out why these athletes (not just the ones in this latest scandal) are taking all these things.

I can fully understand and agree with taking supplements- but that's it! To me it's okay to have a blood profile taken and to 'suppliment' what is lacking, but what we see is that people are going way over board with some of these things.

How is it that an athlete takes an 'unknown' substance from a coach or doctor, and then doesn't notice how their performances are sometimes enhanced in a mind blowing way? I mean, why would you need to take pills or anything to 'get you up'?

It's a rhetorical question (for those of you who may try to crucify me afterwards).

I personally have a hard time accepting a lot of these excuses and explanations given by athletes and coaches. I see people get noticeably faster all of a sudden, and then when they do interviews, the reasons for such consistent improvement doesn't add up. Not to pick on any one, but for as great a coach as Remi is, I have not heard Kelly explained what SPECIFICALLY they did which helped her. All I hear is excuses for why certain substances are found in her body, not reasons why she has improved!

That is just an example. Years ago everyone was in awe of the supposed 'drive phase' that was going on which was the reason why some people all of a sudden consistently re-wrote the all time list in an event which is very hard to do. However, we have not seen any intellectually aerodite papers or manuscripts documenting these findings. Furthermore, when all the pomp and circumstance is removed the underlying explanations according to law of physics go out the window. Of course we over look things like people running with little to no dorsi-flexision and some running with their leg turned almost at a 90 degree angle then they strike (sic)!!!

It's funny that F-1 cars are built after yrs of research and development in the light of certain realities like gravity, wind resisitance, etc. and that human beings can get faster and still be technically sound! It always makes you wonder...

Anyway, that's my question, which you all wolves can tear apart if you want to...

Re: Why?

Postby DentyCracker » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:02 am

It is so funny that this year there are drug busts yet the men's sprint times were the slowest they have been for some time.
DentyCracker

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:39 am

>It is so funny that this year there are drug
>busts yet the men's sprint times were the slowest
>they have been for some time.

Well, how many male sprinters have been caught so far?

Postby Asterix » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:24 am

>For the life of me I am trying to figure out why
>these athletes (not just the ones in this latest
>scandal) are taking all these things.

Here's a good guess: $$$ and more $.
Asterix

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:27 am

Right. There's no great mystery here.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:55 am

The reason they were they slowest probably had to do with the fact that they were on alert and laid off. Have you thought of that? Did it not surprise you that everyone whow as running sub 9.9 and 9.8s suddenly were running 10.20s and 10.30s? Did that not tell you something?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:09 pm

trakluva, are you saying the drive phase talk was all bull or that the little to no dorsiflexion and turned out foot strike indicate that something else might be going on?

>Years ago
>everyone was in awe of the supposed 'drive phase'
>that was going on which was the reason why some
>people all of a sudden consistently re-wrote the
>all time list in an event which is very hard to
>do. However, we have not seen any intellectually
>aerodite papers or manuscripts documenting these
>findings. Furthermore, when all the pomp and
>circumstance is removed the underlying
>explanations according to law of physics go out
>the window. Of course we over look things like
>people running with little to no dorsi-flexision
>and some running with their leg turned almost at
>a 90 degree angle then they strike (sic)!!!
>

It's funny that F-1 cars are built after yrs
>of research and development in the light of
>certain realities like gravity, wind resisitance,
>etc. and that human beings can get faster and
>still be technically sound! It always makes you
>wonder...

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:05 pm

well, 'drive phase' has existed for as long as anyone has been running from a stationary position.

All I am saying is that there are a lot of bogus and implausible reasons given when people basically come of no where and then redefine the all-time lists and records.

You do the maths and physics for yourself. Think about what I said about F-1 cars, etc.

I believe that God has made man quite amazing and that men can run very fast, but it still has to make SENSE!!!

(Also, please save comparisons to Jesse Owens...cause I would bet money that Jesse bent down after he won some races and didn't go straight to do TV interviews not breathing hard while his competitors who ran nearly 1 sec. slower were on the ground gasping 4 breath!!!)

Don't ask me...just think it through... :)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:44 pm

I have one more WHY:

Why is it that when anyone is accused of anything (innocent or not) that the press always seems to find the most 'sinister' (appropriate?) looking picture of them? Do they keep certain pics on file that they just hold unto for moments like those?