Did any one see were Calvin tested positive for Modifinil

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Did any one see were Calvin tested positive for Modifinil

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:25 am

Some said it was at the U.S.A. Championships they seen it on AOL Sports page anyone else seen it?

Re: Did any one see were Calvin tested positive for Modifini

Postby Jon » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:32 am

Jon

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:09 am

null

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:49 am

I'm posting this twice (two threads) because I want some feedback.

After reading Harrison's explanation of how he came to take it, it occurs to me that most, if not all athletes, will take whatever supplement their coach suggests, if the coach prefaces the occasion with, "it's not a steroid, and it's not on the banned list." Don't we all trust our coaches? I think 70% (random high number) that athletes caught by drug tests are doing what they are told to do. Yes, they are responsible for what they put in their bodies, but we are ALWAYS told, 'do what the coach says; he knows what's best for you.' I feel very sorry for the athletes who were only doing what they were told to do by 'experts' and are now facing bans. I also believe that many coaches do NOT tell their athletes the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Either they don't know, don't care, or want to 'protect' the athlete, so he can credibly deny any knowledge of wrongdoing. I bet Harrison can pass any lie detector test question that asks, 'did you knowing take a banned substance?'
tafnut

Calvin

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:44 am

>I also believe that many coaches do NOT tell their athletes the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Either they don't know, don't care, or want to 'protect' the athlete, so he can credibly deny any knowledge of wrongdoing.<

In that case both of them are idiots or cheats. By now, everyone in the sport ought to know that knowledge of wrongdoing is irrelevant. The position of all of the alphabet organizations involved with doping enforcement is very clear. You take the pill, you take the fall. Ignorance of what was really in the pill cannot be an excuse. I'm betting that the current batch of cases will establish (if it isn't already well established) that where the substance is not on the banned list by name but is a "related substance" the athlete cannot rely on his knowledge of the fact that the stuff was not explicitly banned.

Any other result would enable coaches and chemists to conspire successfully to beat the system. Design a new variation of a steroid (or find something like modafinil that has a stimulant effect but that isn't yet on the list), assure the athlete that the pill is not on the banned list, and the athlete's purity of mind gets him off. That just can't be the right answer. And it isn't. And everyone knows it.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:58 am

>I'm posting this twice (two threads) because I
>want some feedback.

OK, I'll post my response twice too. I simply do not understand why people are leaping to the defense of each and every athlete who has so far been named in the latest scandal. First White was innocent (before the THG issue broke), then both White and Phillips were innocent, then THG came along, then everyone else is innocent too!

"They didn't know!", "It was the evil coaches!", "It was Balco's fradulent advertising!", "These drugs don't enhance performance anyway, a single study suggested that might be true!". I've never seen so many drug cheats be excused at once.

But they're innocent until proven guilty, you say. I disagree -- the going attitude here is that they are innocent until proven ABSOLUTELY innocent! There is an underlying sense that the athletes cannot possibly have cheated, so there MUST be an alternate explanation for what happened.

I must say, I'm proud to be affiliated with a sport in which there's only been one cheater throughout its history, and thank goodness he got what was coming to him....

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:05 am

>After reading Harrison's
>explanation of how he came to take it, it occurs
>to me that most, if not all athletes, will take
>whatever supplement their coach suggests, if the
>coach prefaces the occasion with, "it's not a
>steroid, and it's not on the banned list." Don't
>we all trust our coaches? I think 70% (random
>high number) that athletes caught by drug tests
>are doing what they are told to do.

I've been trying to get Calvin on his blackberry to tell him to just keep his mouth shut. The problem with this debate and his explanation is that it isn't his coach that gave it to him. Some people are rushing to Graham's defence by pointing out the fact that it was Remy that gave it to him. That, of course, doesn't help Calvin's cause in the slightest.