Can you believe Ben Johnson?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby eldrick » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:03 am

Johnny Walker Red wrote:Some experts claim that the banned stimulants can be used as masking agents for more serious drugs, such as anabolic steroids.

believe me, this claim is nonsense

i spent a lot, a lot of time searching journals in the past looking for a paper claiming this & i have found none - if you ever find a respected paper showing this, i'll eat my hat

( the only mention i've ever heard of this is in some book : ? body-builder handbook or steroid nation or somesuch, but that wasn't written by a scientist & he offered only anecdotal quotes from bodybuilders & no hard research )

evidence enough for non-existence of this claim is that wada have downgraded stimulants to ?3 month ban whereas known proven masking agents for anabolics like diuretics give you a 2y ban

do you not believe that wada with all the research scientists at their disposal coud find a tenable paper claiming stimulants can mask anabolics ( like diuretics ), they woud have immediately upraded stimulants to the 2y ban ?
eldrick

Postby EPelle » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:51 am

eldrick, forgive the lack of being informed on my part, but would lbumin be considered a masking agent? It is on the WADA Prohibited Substances List. I:ve read that it enables the transportation of wastes in the body. Coupled with drugs which quickly eliminate PEDs from the body, would this prohibited substance be classified as a masking agent?
EPelle

Postby MJD » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:55 am

fourjz wrote:It's amazing given the fact that his own coach Charlie "ridin' dirty" Francis admits to Johnson's steroid addiction during his tainted career.Pitiful. :oops: :cry:

What's your point?
MJD

Postby eldrick » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:02 am

albumin binds a lot of different molecules in the blood

if you infuse it, you can bind a lot of molecules to it ( e g anabolics, etc ), thereby reducing the effective "free" concentration of the drug in the blood & reduce the amount filtered in the kidney & appearing in the urine ( albumin is too large a molecule to be filtered by health kidneys, so it & the attached drug remain in the blood )

hence, the albumin infusion has led to a reduced concentration of drug in the urine, making drug harder to detect & therefore acted as a "masking" agent ( it's still a shit masking action as detectors are so sensitive know, i doubt it much affects detection rates - it's probably a waste of time even trying it )

this is the bottom line - for any masking agent, you have to have a viable scientific mechanism for it to work - there isn't one with stimulants
eldrick