Pound Reaffirms Faith In WADA's EPO Test

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Pound Reaffirms Faith In WADA's EPO Test

Postby gh » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:09 pm

Also says it's standard procedure for WADA to look at any set of tests that has conflicting results (like Jones's).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_ ... und_doping
gh

Postby bad hammy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Pound spoke ahead of WADA's executive committee meeting Saturday. The agency will consider banning the use of hypoxic or hyperbaric tents and chambers, which are used by many athletes to replicate high-altitude conditions and boost their level of oxygen-rich red blood cells.

WADA's ethics and education committee has ruled that the chambers enhance performance and violate "the spirit of sport."

"The moral question is simple," Pound said. "It is one thing if you are prepared to go physically endure the rigors of training at altitude. But to be at sea level and climb into a tent and go to sleep pretending you're at altitude, and getting the same result, is artificial."

If they actually go through with this I will have lost any remaining respect I have for WADA.
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:30 pm

bad hammy wrote:Pound spoke ahead of WADA's executive committee meeting Saturday. The agency will consider banning the use of hypoxic or hyperbaric tents and chambers, which are used by many athletes to replicate high-altitude conditions and boost their level of oxygen-rich red blood cells.

WADA's ethics and education committee has ruled that the chambers enhance performance and violate "the spirit of sport."

"The moral question is simple," Pound said. "It is one thing if you are prepared to go physically endure the rigors of training at altitude. But to be at sea level and climb into a tent and go to sleep pretending you're at altitude, and getting the same result, is artificial."

If they actually go through with this I will have lost any remaining respect I have for WADA.

I agree , whats next? No training at alt., no travelling on vacation above 1,000 ft. And no training in heavy shoes and sweats. No vitamins, its like "pretending" your on a good diet, is it not Pound?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby kuha » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:24 pm

I agree totally. What utter crap. This is right back to the Avery Brundage era, except now its not "money" that's the towering evil of the time, it's "artificial" aids. At the end of the day, it's ALL artificial: there's nothing natural about training hard, wearing shoes with little nails, and running in circles to entertain folks.
kuha

Postby bad hammy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:40 pm

kuha wrote:At the end of the day, it's ALL artificial: there's nothing natural about training hard, wearing shoes with little nails, and running in circles to entertain folks.

Beautifully said.
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:42 pm

It is indeed a slippery slope, and Mr. Dick just fell down . . . hard.
tafnut

Postby eldrick » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:48 pm

is this altitude business the start of a back-door method to ban africans ?
eldrick

Postby gh » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:02 am

If anything, it's a backdoor method to keep non-Africans from being competitive w/ the Africans!
gh

Postby bad hammy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:30 am

And an even bigger invasion of privacy than the urine and blood tests . . .
bad hammy