Ullrich's House Searched While Ullrich on Honeymoon

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Ullrich's House Searched While Ullrich on Honeymoon

Postby unclezadok » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:02 pm

Dick Pound and his fans will be happy to learn that German authorities searched Jan Ullrich's house while Ullrich was on his honeymoon. No word on whether they also burst into Ullrich's honeymoon location and made a search there.
unclezadok

Postby Snation » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:52 pm

I saw that. Europe seems to be very aggressive in pursuing the drug cheats? Why?

In reading about Ullrich's case, I see the investigation (Operation Puerto) is about fraud. Is this medical fraud? Income tax fraud?

It seems to me, that Europeans are more serious in investigating doping. Is this true?

I also note that the Australians conducted early morning raids on Aus football players.

Can anyone imagine the police raiding Bary Bond's house here in the USA?
Snation

Postby unclezadok » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:56 am

From the AP story, it sounds like the fraud being investigated is a type of criminal fraud, although it sounds like kind of a stretch:

"Wednesday's raids were part of the fraud investigation conducted by the Bonn prosecutors in connection with the probe that is targeting "people suspected of fraud" who allegedly cheated contract partners by using illegal doping methods. German federal agents were also present during the searches in other countries, the statement said."

The rules governing search and seizure in Europe are, for the time being, more lax than those in this country, thus enabling officials in those countries to be more enthusiastic in breaking into people's houses and hotel rooms, rummaging through their effects, etc.
unclezadok

Postby Thor » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:37 am

Snation wrote:I saw that. Europe seems to be very aggressive in pursuing the drug cheats? Why?

Make that: "seems to be very aggressive in pursuing the drug cheats in cycling" and I think you are correct. Other sports go free.
Thor