Jones 'Devastated' by Doping Allegations

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby tafnut » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:59 am

Snation wrote:It is a forensics case. Testers are always behind the cheats. The cheats like the GDR, know how to beat the system.

To put a fine point on it, the athletes do NOT know how to beat squat. The Victor Contes and 'scientists' (e.g., Patrick Arnold) are even MORE guilty in my book. They prey on the competitive instincts of people who are already desperate for any edge they can find.
tafnut

Postby Snation » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:02 am

hear hear!
Snation

Postby EPelle » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:20 am

The conversation context of the "B"-sample clearing Marion Jones of any and all drug allegations:

Robin: So let me point-blank ask you again: Marion, have you ever, ever taken any type of sports performance-enhancing drug?

Jones: Um...I have always said - and I will continue to say - that I believe in a drug-free sport, I have never ever taken a performance-enhancing drug, and I:m just quite pleased...happy...ecstatic - any adjective to describe how I feel right now in terms of the fact that um, this "B"-sample proved that um that I have never taken a drug, and that I haven:t taken a drug. And I hope really, Robin, that this whole situation with me is used as a catalyst - a catalyst for more research in testing, a catalyst for better confidentiality samples and just to protect the athletes.
EPelle

Postby eldrick » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:15 am

EPelle wrote:The conversation context of the "B"-sample clearing Marion Jones of any and all drug allegations:

Robin: So let me point-blank ask you again: Marion, have you ever, ever taken any type of sports performance-enhancing drug?

Jones: Um...I have always said - and I will continue to say - that I believe in a drug-free sport, I have never ever taken a performance-enhancing drug, and I:m just quite pleased...happy...ecstatic - any adjective to describe how I feel right now in terms of the fact that um, this "B"-sample proved that um that I have never taken a drug, and that I haven:t taken a drug. And I hope really, Robin, that this whole situation with me is used as a catalyst - a catalyst for more research in testing, a catalyst for better confidentiality samples and just to protect the athletes.

& we can e-mail marion to tell her that her italicised quote is causing terrific distress to a few posters here - they can't eat, they can't sleep, they have stopped functioning, period !

we can ask her to add

& there are thousands of -ve tests i've had to back that up

to her next public pronouncement so that these crippled individuals can therefore recover & get a life !
eldrick

Postby EPelle » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:34 am

eldrick, I was due for a laugh today. Thanks.

The "B"-sample demonstrates, legally, that the second of Marion Jones "I have nots" is true. It does not prove that she never has taken a drug as she asserts in the first part of her denial. Marion Jones adjoined both statements at the hip - her very far past, and her recent past, and left the viewer to deduce that this test has legally cleared her from any previous allegations.

Regardless, it:s a statement. Nothing less, and nothing more. Her test results? Negative. Why she chose to bundle everything under one umbrella is odd... so odd that several professional writers across the USA picked up on this and wondered, gee, what kind of one-time test covers Marion Jones entire career?!
EPelle

Postby Snation » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:37 am

Eldrick, could you be just a little overstating the case about T&F posters? :-)

The same fans that are bothered by the most high profile woman's athlete today being a drug cheat, are prolly the same fans upset at the dug cheat Barry Bonds getting records. Simply a matter of integrity. Oh well.

I know this is a grotesque fillet of the quote, but:

Jones: Um...I have always said - and I will continue to say - that I believe in a drug-free sport,
(meaning: yeah I don't want my competitors taking drugs that might bring their times down)
I have never ever taken a performance-enhancing drug,
(none of the drugs I have taken has ever been proven to be PEDs)
and I:m just quite pleased...happy...ecstatic - any adjective to describe how I feel right now in terms of the fact that um, this "B"-sample proved that um that I have never taken a drug,
(she should have said 'proved I did not have EPO in my urine' it doesn't the slight bit prove she has never taken a drug)
and that I haven:t taken a drug. And I hope really, Robin, that this whole situation with me is used as a catalyst - a catalyst for more research in testing, a catalyst for better confidentiality samples and just to protect the athletes.
(this is true the testing needs more confidentiality; and by the way MJ, the A/B protocol did protect the athlete)[/quote]
Last edited by Snation on Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snation

Postby mrbowie » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 pm

Police and detective work, not drug testing, is the real answer to catching the cheats.
mrbowie

Postby EPelle » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:31 am

Jones attorney apparently behind the Great Escape from Zürich.

It was one of those phone calls that came during a time of day that prompted Rich Nichols’ instincts to tell him it wasn’t going to be good news, and it wasn’t. On the other end of the line that day roughly three weeks ago was a client from Zurich. She was in tears.

It was track star Marion Jones. She’d just been informed she’d tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

Nichols, her lawyer, calmed her down as best he could and told her to come home immediately.

http://tinyurl.com/g7w79
EPelle

Postby Jay Peterman » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:52 am

Would just like to say I haven't a clue what to think, except it's all sad and messy.

Profound, huh?!
Jay Peterman