How many are privy to doping test results?

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

How many are privy to doping test results?

Postby OJ » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:41 pm

With all this talk about leaks, the logical question is how many (and who) have access to the doping results? Identify who has access to that information perhaps the leaker(s) can be identified?

Testing lab = 0 (presumably)
USADA =
WADA =
USATF =
USOC =
IAAF =
Athlete = 1, plus whomever she tells.

Obviously, if 10 or more people are in the information chain then confidentiality has virtually no chance of being maintained.

Has anyone ever asked that question of USADA/WADA/IAAF/USATF, and if not, why?
OJ

Postby bad hammy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:51 pm

Good question, and it is almost certainly more than 10.
bad hammy

Postby Snation » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:10 pm

And I don't understand why these labs and agencies struggle with confidentiality. There are laws that cover medical confidentiality. Someone needs to look into this.

I have to think that lower level people are too scared of their jobs to leak things. Makes me wonder if the leaks are coming from the top.

Another source of leak could come from the defense team. Leak a lab value out and you are in a position to scream about unfairness...
Last edited by Snation on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snation

Postby gh » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:21 pm

I have to think--based on their "profiles" as generated here--there is no shortage of posters to this forum who if they were in that chain would leak in a heartbeat, convinced of their moral obligation to do so.
gh

Postby OJ » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:12 pm

gh wrote:I have to think--based on their "profiles" as generated here--there is no shortage of posters to this forum who if they were in that chain would leak in a heartbeat, convinced of their moral obligation to do so.

You're speaking for yourself, of course.
OJ

Postby bambam » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:49 pm

Snation wrote:And I don't understand why these labs and agencies struggle with confidentiality. There are laws that cover medical confidentiality. Someone needs to look into this.

The law you are referring to is called HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and it prevents doctors from talking about anything to anyone and has made our lives hell by adding layers of paperwork to our offices.

Each single violation of HIPAA privacy policies is subject to a $10,000 fine so Marion certainly is entitled to this. But I'm not certain CMS can fine WADA.
bambam

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Is it a fine or a felony? If it is the latter, it is a much more serious violation, and WADA is not entirely out of reach. Their ability to regulate any USA athletes might be in hindered; unlikely, but some DAs will do things with a felony; Mr Pound does visit the USA upon occasion.
26mi235

Postby gh » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:19 pm

26mi235 wrote:Is it a fine or a felony? If it is the latter, it is a much more serious violation, and WADA is not entirely out of reach. Their ability to regulate any USA athletes might be in hindered; unlikely, but some DAs will do things with a felony; Mr Pound does visit the USA upon occasion.

I suspect it's not at all remotely unfeasible for a testing procedure to go from top to bottom with no MD ever involved. Or any hospitial, clinic or other pure medical facility. All this requires is a dependable person to collect the sample and deliver it and after that it's all chemists. (and lawyers, of course!)

Once you get into blood sampling, then perhaps it might become a "medical" issue, but I'm suspecting this whole thing may not be governed by any medical protocols at all.
gh