Jones...B-NEGATIVE

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Jones...B-NEGATIVE

Postby lilwayne1814 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:15 pm

B sample NEGATIVE...per Chicago Tribune... Marion Jones

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ol ... ?track=rss
Last edited by lilwayne1814 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilwayne1814

Postby bad hammy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:19 pm

Assuming we are talking Marion Jones, I could not be more happy. Not because I think she is, how can we pass the censors here based on what is essentially a get-out-of-jail-card, totally without circumstantial evidence to the contrary. I just relish the controversy . . .

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ol ... rtsnew-hed

Registration required.
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Olympic champion Marion Jones has been cleared of potential doping charges for use of the performance-enhancing drug erythropoietin because the test of her "B'' sample came back negative, the Tribune has learned.

I think her reputation has been irreparably broken. Will she sue? Will she compete again (this season, ever?)

What a mess . . . :-(
tafnut

Postby lilwayne1814 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:26 pm

tafnut wrote:
Olympic champion Marion Jones has been cleared of potential doping charges for use of the performance-enhancing drug erythropoietin because the test of her "B'' sample came back negative, the Tribune has learned.

I think her reputation has been irreparably broken. Will she sue? Will she compete again (this season, ever?)

What a mess . . . :-(

You are correct TAFNUT...This is a world that prospers in building you up to tear you down...She didn't help herself with the company she kept....
lilwayne1814

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:28 pm

I really . . . REALLY . . . REALLY . . . REALLY . . . want to believe in her innocence, but now I have absolutely no idea WHAT to believe. That 'A' positive broke my spirit, and I can't will it back.
tafnut

Postby PEDLESS » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:15 pm

YAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Now take that!

I feel like gloating. This gal is untouchable. Too bad the others can't be as GRACED as she.
PEDLESS

Postby mian757 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:38 pm

PEDLESS wrote:YAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Now take that!

I feel like gloating. This gal is untouchable. Too bad the others can't be as GRACED as she.

AGREED
mian757

Postby nctrackfan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:41 pm

As I have said before, it did not make sense to me why a sprinter would take EPO. There are going to be people that say 'well, Marion got away with that one.'
Having a suspicious nature, I question the reliability of the test for EPO. There will be some people who give more weight to the 'A' sample results, and disregard the 'B' sample results, saying 'where there is smoke there is fire.'

Lastly, I say, shame on the person/people that leaked Marion's 'A' sample results before the B sample was tested.
nctrackfan

Postby Narrion » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:45 pm

Even though the B-Sample came back negative, her image is forever tarnished as she will never regain the level of marketability that she once had. Whenever you mention the name Marion Jones to the non-track fan....their first reaction will still likely be "you mean the doper". At this juncture, the only people that believe in her innonence are HER hard-core fans as I would venture that most track fans as well as her competitors are...well...skeptical to say the least.

Whether she was actually guilty of doping at this juncture is a moot point....but she should realize that WADA/USADA will test her for everything....every chance they get.

In my opinion....the Positive A-Sample was the end of her career.

Let's just see IF she returns next year as muscular and ripped as she was this year....and running 10.8x or 10.9x. Time will tell......but I wouldn't be surprised if she retires.
Narrion

Postby PEDLESS » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:45 pm

She should run out her Endorsement contracts and leave this sport.

So what half the people she know used drugs - She TEFLON MARION!

Yall betta recognize.
PEDLESS

Postby nctrackfan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:02 pm

Drug testing by nature is predicated on the idea that people are guilty until proven innocent.
nctrackfan

Postby lilwayne1814 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:08 pm

JAMMIN will you now edit your list; or do the results not matter to you? Be a real man and retract your spewed venom towards her.
lilwayne1814

what is sad is this...

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:27 pm

We missed a potentially wonderful season of watching Ms. Jones run. That saddens me. For what it is worth, I was really excited watching her comeback. In 6 weeks, she was in the top 2 or three runners in the world. That was amazing and to watch it get taken away for a faulty test is very sad for the sport and certainly for her. I hope that people will remember this next time an A test is positive.
Dave

Postby CookyMonzta » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:28 pm

PEDLESS wrote:She should run out her Endorsement contracts and leave this sport.

So what half the people she know used drugs - She TEFLON MARION!

Yall betta recognize.

I wouldn't be surprised if she did. That would be an interesting sequence of events: Marion takes 2003 off to have a baby, then endures nearly 3 years of suspicion, and has a lousy season and a half (2004-2005), comes back in 2006 and has an excellent season, then comes up EPO on the A-sample to send her battered reputation into critical mass, only to escape through the back door with a negative B-sample and send eggs flying in the faces of a great many.

But, with the damage already having been done, and having already become persona non grata in several parts of the world, she decides to hang up her spikes, having been exonerated by a test after coming thisclose to biting the bullet, and decides to give basketball another try. I wouldn't be surprised if she shows up in the WNBA next year; never mind 2009.

The inquest of Trevor Graham could still muddy her reputation a lot more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let the inquiry begin.
Last edited by CookyMonzta on Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CookyMonzta

Re: what is sad is this...

Postby guru » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:29 pm

Dave wrote:We missed a potentially wonderful season of watching Ms. Jones run. That saddens me. For what it is worth, I was really excited watching her comeback. In 6 weeks, she was in the top 2 or three runners in the world. That was amazing and to watch it get taken away for a faulty test is very sad for the sport and certainly for her. I hope that people will remember this next time an A test is positive.

Well said. Kudos.
guru

Postby CookyMonzta » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:33 pm

lilwayne1814 wrote:JAMMIN will you now edit your list; or do the results not matter to you? Be a real man and retract your spewed venom towards her.

Forget it! He's too busy regurgitating in the restroom, after having had his fill of crow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let the inquiry begin.
CookyMonzta

Postby piaba » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:59 pm

i'm sorry, but i do not believe she's innocent. i believe this test result just shows that she is not guilty. but "not guilty" and "innocent" are not the same thing.

the verdict is still out on her (and on various other athletes too).

and i'm not saying she's guilty, i'm just not ready to pronounce her innocent.
piaba

Postby nevetsllim » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:10 pm

tafnut wrote:I really . . . REALLY . . . REALLY . . . REALLY . . . want to believe in her innocence, but now I have absolutely no idea WHAT to believe. That 'A' positive broke my spirit, and I can't will it back.

I agree, there is a lot of evidence to say that she has been taking drugs, but now you have this.

I can't say I am too surprised, because why would a sprinter take EPO?
nevetsllim

Postby RJMB_1 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:14 pm

Get those ovens fired and that humble pie comming - especially for those who infered from this that she's been doping for a long time/most of her career.

[I reserve the right not to eat humble pie should this report on the B sample be incorrect]
RJMB_1

Postby Jon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:46 am

Like I said after the 'A' positive, the only thing this would have changed is whether or not she gets a ban from the sport. So far as her own reputation, the sport's reputation and the general public image of T&F, a positive 'B' test would have changed very little.

And Yegorova is clean too, of course. LOL.
Jon

Postby eldrick » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:26 am

i'd suggest the new reputation of the lab is of more relevance than that of marion's...
eldrick

Postby Jon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:36 am

eldrick wrote:i'd suggest the new reputation of the lab is of more relevance than that of marion's...
What percentage of the general public even know about the lab that conducted the test, let alone care about their reputation?
Jon

Postby eldrick » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:43 am

when marion's spin doctors get to work on the nonsense a test produced by the lab, you better believe the general public will become aware of the lab & it's reputation !!!
eldrick

Postby Andrea_T » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:45 am

Jon wrote:And Yegorova is clean too, of course. LOL.

Quite!

I'm dismayed the B sample came back negative, I thought they'd finally nailed the cheating toe rag.
Andrea_T

Postby La_Spigola_Loca » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:51 am

Andrea_T wrote:I'm dismayed the B sample came back negative, I thought they'd finally nailed the cheating toe rag.

It is quite depressing, isn't it? If you want me i'll be in the bar....
La_Spigola_Loca

Postby eldrick » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:58 am

Andrea_T wrote:
Jon wrote:And Yegorova is clean too, of course. LOL.

Quite!

I'm dismayed the B sample came back negative, I thought they'd finally nailed the cheating toe rag.

very un-pc

are moderators about ?
eldrick

Postby RJMB_1 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:04 am

nevetsllim wrote:
tafnut wrote:I really . . . REALLY . . . REALLY . . . REALLY . . . want to believe in her innocence, but now I have absolutely no idea WHAT to believe. That 'A' positive broke my spirit, and I can't will it back.

I agree, there is a lot of evidence to say that she has been taking drugs, but now you have this.

What evidence? she had a 16year old world best of 11.14 by 22 she had 10.76 which is an improvement of 0.38 over 5 years or 0.076 a year - not a helluva lot during those ages even if she was mainly doing basketball.
RJMB_1

Postby peach » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:34 am

What a JOKE
peach

Postby Simonkelly » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:52 am

I have read a few of these threads and have decided to post my opinion on this one. What I'm mildly amused about is posters coming in with I told you so she's innocent. And her detractors saying nothing.

The real pity here is it should never have been leaked till the second sample has been released that way she doesn't have to defend herself & the gossip mongers wouldn't be elated. This should be the way with every case.
I am all up for getting the cheaters but it must be innocent untill proven guilty as others have commented on before.

I'm a huge fan of this Sport & it has so much competition from other Sports such as Tennis, Golf, Rugby, Soccer, American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Cricket, Horse Racing, Motor Sports and so on. All fans of those sports are saying to themselves all the Athletes are on drugs so what's the point. Well that is ridiculous .

Why doesn't the Sport help itself by not leaking A sample results before the B sample is back in. And the What if's is killing the Sport.
No mention about who's going to win the 100m in Stuttgart, will Asafa break the World Record will he get beaten - no - it's all about Marion Jones, Justin Gatlin & the likes of Trevor Graham.
Simonkelly

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:58 am

Forget MJ for a second. This A test, B test coming out later and the A test result known ahead of time is THE stupiest thing i have ever seen. EVER!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby peach » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:50 am

Simonkelly wrote:I have read a few of these threads and have decided to post my opinion on this one. What I'm mildly amused about is posters coming in with I told you so she's innocent. And her detractors saying nothing.

What can you say ? It would just be yanked the minute you said anything ANYWAY...
peach

Postby kamikaze7 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:33 am

Does anyone know why it takes so long to get a B sample ?
kamikaze7

Postby Simonkelly » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:39 am

True Peach!

I have to say I'm not a Marion Jones hater! I wouldn't be a big fan either because of the fact that she associates herself with known cheats. As in Charlie Francis, Tim Montgomery, CJ Hunter, Trevor Graham - not putting Riddick in that but I'm not sure.
Simonkelly

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 am

RJMB_1 wrote:
nevetsllim wrote:

What evidence? she had a 16year old world best of 11.14 by 22 she had 10.76 which is an improvement of 0.38 over 5 years or 0.076 a year - not a helluva lot during those ages even if she was mainly doing basketball.

Like the fact she was strongly linked to BALCO, her ex-shot putting husband (can't recall his name) reporting that he walked into a room and saw her injecting a needle into her stomach. Don't know if this is true or not.
nevetsllim

Leaking of A sample too common

Postby WalkandJog » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:43 am

Now that Marion's B test has come back negative, something really should be done to stop this leaking of A test results. Even as far back as Mary Slaney's leak of her positive A testosterone result in the late 90's, this type of leak has become all too common and very damaging for athletes.

I recall recently on the emmy awards a few weeks ago, the host Conan O'Brien made some lame and ill-informed joke about someone being more full of testosterone than Marion Jones. So her reputation has been severely damaged by this leak.

Say what you will about Marion and others who are under a cloud of suspicion, but if the drug enforcement agencies continue to operate with such wanton lack of adherence to their own guidelines on public disclosure, then this sort of media circus hurts their own credibility as well.

I mean, haven't ALL the recent initial A positives been leaks? Landis, Gatlin, Jones? Makes it seem like a witch hunt rather than a professional agency trying to fairly and judiciously find the real drug cheats. If the drug testing agencies want to restore credibility to amateur athletics, they need to get their own houses in order and set the tone for professionalism and reliably sound disclosure protocols. Undercuts their own credibility in testing and procedural containment when this sort of reckless leaking becomes the norm. If they genuinely cared about the athletes, then they would make absolutely sure that no A results would be announced before the B sample is tested.

I mean, how difficult can it be to contain this information between the span of two drug tests? If they cannot maintain this sort of simple confidentiality, when the reputation of athletes is at stake, then the drug agencies need a higher agency to police THEM so that they abide by their own rules and are penalized when they leak these results and irreperably damage the reputation of athletes who are ultimately found not guilty of doping. Perhaps a rule should be enacted to where the any positive A result would be discarded if it is leaked before a B sample confirms the doping allegation. That would seem fair to me.
WalkandJog

Postby bad hammy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:19 am

WalkandJog,

Couldn't agree more. Same goes for grand jury leaks.

(Agree except for the Gatlin reference - he disclosed after the B test was in.)
bad hammy

Postby nctrackfan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:43 pm

The Marion Haters may get their pound of flesh eventually, but not today. I hope her testimony to a grand jury a while back does not come back to bite her. I have not heard anything about her possibly perjuring herself, so she may be OK there. What is the statute of limitation for perjury? Also, what is the status of the check-counterfeiting scheme to which she has been linked? Was she even indicted?
Last edited by nctrackfan on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
nctrackfan

Postby EPelle » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:19 pm

Marion Jones Grand Jury testimony is said to be grossly inconsistent with the testimony offered by several others in connection with her - something which Victor Conte revealed to one of the San Francisco Chronicle reporters in an e-mail exchange...testimony he wrote will "come back and bite her in the butt".
EPelle

Postby eldrick » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:51 am

are you specifically saying marion's testimony is inconsistent with that of a convict ?
eldrick

Postby CookyMonzta » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:56 pm

eldrick wrote:are you specifically saying marion's testimony is inconsistent with that of a convict ?

Therein lies the problem for USADA. The negative B-sample only makes it worse for them.
CookyMonzta

Next