Christine Ohuruogu suspended for missing drugs tests

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Christine Ohuruogu suspended for missing drugs tests

Postby Ellie » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:33 am

It seems that it never rains but it pours these days. Just tripped over this story on the BBC website.

Ohuruogu hit by UKA suspension

Commonwealth 400m champion Christine Ohuruogu has been provisionally suspended for missing three out-of-competition drugs tests.

The decision by UK Athletics means she cannot compete at the European Athletics Championships which begin in Gothenburg on Monday.

British athletics' governing body said Ohuruogu, 22, has missed three tests in the last 18 months.

I really didn't see this one coming. I don't know whether it's stupidity - and surely she must have worked really hard to be this stupid - or trying to avoid being caught cheating.

Does anyone else have a clue?
Ellie

Postby Ellie » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:34 am

Sorry - I missed the other post (rather less of an offence than missing three drugs tests, I hope :D )

Ignore me. I'll go sit in the corner.
Ellie

Postby trackworld » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:40 am

Just now seen that article. Damn shame bout it, I was hoping that she would be the next Brit woman to crack the 50.00 barrier [I thought she would have her best chance of doing it at the Europeans]
trackworld

Postby stoffy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:50 am

Really sad news - I've considered her the biggest British talent for the past 2 or 3 seasons and her win at the Commonwealths was the highlight of the meeting. Will be really interesting to hear her thoughts on the matter and the reasons for missing the tests.

Apart from the whole Kenteris/Thanou affair, I can't think of too many suspensions for missed tests off the top of my head, certainly not by a Brit.
stoffy

Postby Ellie » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:53 am

Do you actually know when you've missed a drugs test? Genuinely missed one, that is?

Are testers like the Post Office, leaving a little "We tried to test you for drugs today, but you were not in" card through your letterbox? Because if they do, I cannot see how you would be anything but absolutely paranoid with worry after missing two.

Of all the British athletes who could have been this dumb, I had Ohuruogu at the bottom of the list. I thought she seemed reasonably smart. I appear to have been wrong. Damn.
Ellie

Postby stoffy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:01 pm

I wouldn't have put her in that sort of category either, but missing 3 in 9 months is very, very reckless... I wonder when the third one was?

Great time for them to announce it as well, less than 24 hours before the start of a major championships. Am sure morale will be sky-high in the British camp right now...
stoffy

Postby Jaack » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:26 pm

If you're injured and ill, the last thing you're going to want to do is strip off in front of some stranger and try pee as quick as possible. I wonder how "Fixed" these Testing dates were?
Jaack

Postby peach » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:49 pm

Oh noooooooooooo

Stupid stupid girl. This is the last thing Team GB needs at the moment- not that she was going to do anything in Gothenburg but she might have been a useful cog for the relay team- but she could be heading for a bloody ban in what could have been her most important years in her development.

I love Christine as well. I just hope there is nothing more sinister at play other than utter stupidity.
peach

Postby tandfman » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:56 pm

Jaack wrote:If you're injured and ill, the last thing you're going to want to do is strip off in front of some stranger and try pee as quick as possible.

I don't imagine that it's the most enjoyable experience even if you're not injured or ill, but it's something every athlete at a certain level must do. And I can't imagine how you'd have an effective testing program if athletes could avoid being tested just by saying they're injured or ill.
tandfman

Postby maroon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:51 pm

Jaack wrote:If you're injured and ill, the last thing you're going to want to do is strip off in front of some stranger and try pee as quick as possible. I wonder how "Fixed" these Testing dates were?

do we know for a fact that she was injured? just asking.
maroon

Postby Jay Peterman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 am

As previously stated, stupid. She's a bright lady, I'm not going to buy any excuses.

Pains me to say it, but she should be treated like Kenteris and Thanou.

Ultimate responsibility lies with the athlete, but didn't her coach and/or the GB squad hierarchy have any idea?? Morons all....
Jay Peterman

Postby mike berger » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:10 am

She's not stupid, she's very bright actually. What's worse,to have a positive on a drug test and be labled a cheat, or merely be called stupid?
mike berger

Postby Jaack » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Well the former makes you stupid AND greedy! So I'd rather plain stupid, thank you very much!
Jaack

Postby TrakFan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:30 pm

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Suspended for Missing Drugs Tests

I keep hearing "reckless, stupid", and other comments that are doing a very good job of staying away form the idea of here actually cheating. I don't know the circumstances, and refuse to speculate. However, I wonder would the reactions have been different if the headline contained the name of:

Richards
Stambolova
Williams-Darling
Halika
Demus
Guevara
Trotter
TrakFan

Postby Jaack » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:43 pm

TrakFan wrote:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Suspended for Missing Drugs Tests

I keep hearing "reckless, stupid", and other comments that are doing a very good job of staying away form the idea of here actually cheating. I don't know the circumstances, and refuse to speculate. However, I wonder would the reactions have been different if the headline contained the name of:

Richards
Stambolova
Williams-Darling
Halika
Demus
Guevara
Trotter
Very true! But I reserve the right to pick and choose whom I throw Guilt upon! :P
Jaack

Postby piaba » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:55 pm

mike berger wrote:What's worse,to have a positive on a drug test and be labled a cheat, or merely be called stupid?

missing 3 tests makes it appear that you have something to hide. so what do you think is worse?
piaba

Postby TrakFan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Ellie wrote:Do you actually know when you've missed a drugs test? Genuinely missed one, that is?

Are testers like the Post Office, leaving a little "We tried to test you for drugs today, but you were not in" card through your letterbox? Because if they do, I cannot see how you would be anything but absolutely paranoid with worry after missing two.

Of all the British athletes who could have been this dumb, I had Ohuruogu at the bottom of the list. I thought she seemed reasonably smart. I appear to have been wrong. Damn.

Hopefully there is some type of notice that will allow the member to contact the collectors when they arrive back at their residence. Especially if it was an instance of simply being out of the house "shopping" when they attempted to collect.

In USADA's procedure, there seems to be 24 hour window in which they must check all possible locations identified on an athlete's Location form.

http://tinyurl.com/ly8wv
TrakFan

Postby gh » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:44 pm

As I said in a magazine editorial once, whilst I support the testing rules/protocal, I think that those who promulgate them should also be subjec to them 100%.

In other words, if you're a WADA/USADA/whatever official, you have to leave Big Brother-type tracking advice available at all times, and if should be subject to random sampling. If you're not found in compliance, you get suspended from your alphabet-soup job. And you also have to supply samples "in public" and if they find you with traces of Pseudofed (or Starbucks, or whatever), you get suspended, the same as the athletes.

Ahh, we can all dream.
gh

Postby bad hammy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:49 am

She gets support from Linford Christie.

"Of course Christine didn't cheat. She's just naive, not guilty."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/4777055.stm
bad hammy

Postby mojo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:56 pm

Not sure Christie is the best person to speak for her.

Missing one test could be considered being "naive" but TWO and then THREE?

I doubt she has taken an illegal substances but she also doesn't take drug testing very seriously. And what about those (like Chrisite) who are around to advise her....
mojo

Postby gh » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:35 am

1-year suspension (see front page)
gh

Postby peach » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:29 am

Absolutely agree this is the right punishment...shame it's apparently making her reconsider her future in the sport though...I pray that isn't the case.

And the Olympic ban shouldn't happen either. But I doubt that will be- if MLF can get away with it...
peach