Freaks of Nature

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: Freaks of Nature

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:49 pm

How tall was Kevin Young?

Postby Jon » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:53 pm

>How tall was Kevin Young?

193cm - about 6'4"
Jon

Postby Twister » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:35 am

Any decathalete is a freak of nature to be good at all events.
Twister

Postby gh » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:43 am

Let's face it, anybody good enough to be discussed on this board is a freak of nature. The rest of us are all just boring normals.
gh

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:59 pm

"Yiannis Kouros. I think he's approaching 40, has been competing for over 20 years, and is still the best ultramarathoner in the world. His 24-hour record is 303.5 km, or about 185 miles."

Truly amazing. 7:40 pace for 24 hours.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:34 pm

Wake me when a real athlete tries the distance. This is like people saying 15 years ago, "Wow! Terri Turner triple jumped 45 feet?!" Then world-class long jumpers tried the event and went 6 feet further.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:01 pm

It's obvious that Yawner hasn't done much distance running...yeah 7:40 pace sounds slow--but to AVERAGE that for 24 hours is remarkable.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:37 pm

I stand by the theory behind my original statement: unless Kouros has true word-class credentials at a real distance his marks don't mean shit. We have no idea how fast a 7:40 pace is for 24 hours until Khannouchi tries it. And not just Khannouchi; until dozens and dozens of world-class marathoners have. There's no valid scientific sample at this point.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:18 pm

I see your point, and you may be right on...but these ultra long distances I think require their own special talent,toughness and the body simply being able to hold up for that long. I'd like to see what Kannouchi and other world class marathoners could do also. It's possible they could blitz the record but it is also possible they could break down and not even be able to finish.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:50 am

>I see your point, and you may be right on...but
>these ultra long distances I think require their
>own special talent,toughness and the body simply
>being able to hold up for that long. I'd like to
>see what Kannouchi and other world class
>marathoners could do also. It's possible they
>could blitz the record but it is also possible
>they could break down and not even be able to
>finish.

Kouros has pretty much all of the ultra world records beyond 100 miles, but his most astounding records have come in multi-day races. It has been said that part of his total dominance is his ability to work at high levels with very little sleep. This is one of those "special talents" ultra-runners need.

Even though I regard Kouros very highly, I think it's futile to compare him to marathoners and track runners -- the events are simply much too different. I'll say that without a doubt he's the greatest ultra-marathoner of all time and leave it at that.