The Golden Ring

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

The Golden Ring

Postby DoubleRBar » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:57 am

Happy 43rd birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who also owns an Olympic bronze medal in the same event.

Born on a Wednesday 43 years ago today, this champion was only 21 years old when winning the Olympic gold medal.

Our birthday athlete won the Olympic gold medal 68 years after another athlete, with the same initials as our birthday person, won Olympic gold. This older athlete did not compete in the same event as our birthday champion.

You might know some other people sharing the same initials as our birthday athlete. One is a 47 year old ex-boxer. Another was a person who married a man that later became U.S. president. A third was a singer called the "Velvet Fog". A fourth was an actress born 76 years ago this year (That Girl).

This birthday athlete also owns a World Championship gold medal and two World Championship silver medals. Not only that, but our birthday athlete's collection also includes two World Championship bronze medals, a World Junior silver medal, and a World Indoor bronze medal.

Remember that older athlete who won Olympic gold some 68 years before our birthday champion? Well, this older athlete was also 21 years old when winning the Olympic gold medal. Not only that, but both athletes (birthday person and the older champion) won their Olympic gold medals on the seventh day of the month. The older athlete also won two Olympic bronze medals. Both people won their Olympic gold medals on the same continent (68 years apart).

The Olympic cities in which these two athletes won Olympic gold are about 644 miles apart or 1,036 kilometers.

An actor named Giovan D'Angelo (born Juan Luis Lopez) was born the same day, same month, and same year as our birthday athlete. This actor was born in the same city where our birthday athlete won the Olympic gold medal.

On the same day that our birthday athlete was born, the United States Environmental Protection Agency began operation.

Don't concern yourself with the hurdles, the shot put, the javelin, or the steeplechase when trying to figure our birthday athlete's name. One of these event does belong to the person with the same initials who won Olympic gold 68 years before our birthday person.

Who is this athlete? Can you name our birthday person for this first Monday of December? Please feel free to try.
DoubleRBar

Re: The Golden Ring

Postby houstonian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:07 am

Maksim Tarasov, EUN pole vaulter, has the same initials as Mel Torme', aka, the "Velvet Fog".
houstonian

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 am

The only answers I knew were Mike Tyson, Mel Torme and Marlo Thomas. I am a little weak on maiden names of wives of US Presidents :)
lonewolf

Postby LopenUupunut » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 am

The older athlete would be Morgan Taylor :wink:
LopenUupunut

Postby DoubleRBar » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 am

Happy birthday today to Maksim Tarasov and congratulations houstonian. Tarasov is 43 years old today and, of course, he won the pole vault in Barcelona in 1992 (the event Sergey Bubka was suppose to win). Yes, the older athlete is Morgan Taylor (400 hurdles in 1924).
DoubleRBar

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am

lonewolf wrote:The only answers I knew were Mike Tyson, Mel Torme and Marlo Thomas. I am a little weak on maiden names of wives of US Presidents :)

If all he is referring to is first name plus married name, it might be Margaret Truman.
dukehjsteve

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 am

dukehjsteve wrote:
lonewolf wrote:The only answers I knew were Mike Tyson, Mel Torme and Marlo Thomas. I am a little weak on maiden names of wives of US Presidents :)

If all he is referring to is first name plus married name, it might be Margaret Truman.

I thinks Harry's wife was Bess. Margaret is hie daughter.
lonewolf

Postby DoubleRBar » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:32 pm

The woman who was married to a U.S. president had the initials M.T. before she married. Both the man and the woman were from the same state. The man died before the woman. He was 56 at the time of his death. This woman loved to shop and had four children.
DoubleRBar

Postby Pego » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Mary Todd-Lincoln?
Pego

Postby DoubleRBar » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Very good, Pego. Mary Todd it is.
DoubleRBar