Landy v Bannister

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Landy v Bannister

Postby no one » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:13 pm

just watched the famous Vancouver Miracle Mile (again) where Landy looked left as Bannister passed on right. Good stuff. Does anyone know the cumulative/total record these guys had against each other? Excuse if this has been covered before.
no one

Re: Landy v Bannister

Postby Per Andersen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:35 pm

no one wrote:just watched the famous Vancouver Miracle Mile (again) where Landy looked left as Bannister passed on right. Good stuff. Does anyone know the cumulative/total record these guys had against each other? Excuse if this has been covered before.

The Vancouver Mile was their only real race. Bannister retired a couple of weeks later.

They did run in the same heat in the first round of the 1500 in Helsinki 1952. Bannister qualified for the semi-finals while Landy did not. He ran 3.57. At that time Bannister was way ahead in their careers. He was one of the favorites. Landy was nowhere near that level then.
Per Andersen

Postby kuha » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 am

It's insane that Bannister and Landy met only once in anything like their prime, and Santee never faced either one of them (which was not his fault: he ran in London in 1953).
kuha

Postby gh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 am

less insane and more reflective of the realities of travel between Down Under and Up Over in the pre-jet days.

And with nobody funding the trip.
gh

Postby kuha » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:30 am

gh wrote:less insane and more reflective of the realities of travel between Down Under and Up Over in the pre-jet days.

And with nobody funding the trip.

Of course, my comment was directed toward the context of the time. Interestingly, Bannister made at least one trip to the U.S., and Landy loved competing in Scandanavia. So there was travel, but nothing like what we take for granted today.
kuha

Postby dj » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:00 am

Bannister had two trips to the U.S. for competitions. In 1949, he ran for the combined Oxford-Cambridge team in dual meets against Harvard-Yale and Princeton-Cornell. He returned in 1951 to run in the Penn Relays.

I believe those are the only three meets he ran in the U.S.
dj

Postby kuha » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 am

dj wrote:Bannister had two trips to the U.S. for competitions. In 1949, he ran for the combined Oxford-Cambridge team in dual meets against Harvard-Yale and Princeton-Cornell. He returned in 1951 to run in the Penn Relays.

I believe those are the only three meets he ran in the U.S.

I had remembered the 1951 trip, but was fuzzy on any earlier ones... Thanks.
kuha

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:11 am

I listened to that race on Radio in London. No live TV coverage then. It was one of the most exciting races I have "listened" to. The most exciting, for me, however, also on Radio, was Chataway beating Kuts in London. Being an English boarding school denizen I had to listen to it on Radio. My Athletics coach took a few athletes to see the race, but I was considered too young to go. :( Kuts died of a heart attack at 48 (brought on apparently by alcohol) and Chataway is still going strong at 82, as are Bannister (84) and Landy.
jeremyp

Postby no one » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 am

the kuts chataway race is on the internet somewhere, as a video ... exciting to me as well. maybe I'll try to find it
no one

Postby no one » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:31 am

alas - only last 1:03 ... but what a great finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXLX3WYFtY

more kuts races on same site

looked to me like both runners were pretty well spent
no one

Postby Jackaloupe » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Interestingly, Bannister made at least one trip to the U.S., and Landy loved competing in Scandanavia

Guess it wasn't until Herb Elliott came upon the scene that the US was favored by an Aussie appearance: Herb ran a sub-4 Mile on the patchy LA Coliseum grass track (thanks to Dodgers' appropriation for Beisbol while awaiting construction of Chavez Ravine).

Helm's Bakery, a big sponsor back then, held a post-meet reception over at their HQ, where Coach Percy Cerutty enthralled the gathering maybe more than Elliott, who'd already wowed 'em on the "track".

Main Aussie presence was Murray Rose, aka the Golden Boy, at USC, prior to dominating Rome '60 Olympics Swimming. He confided that he had the Flu prior to the 1500m Final, but swam it out! He thrived on the Vegetarian Diet prescribed by his Mum, who by then had emigrated to Montecito (the upper side of the tracks in Santa Barbara, so to speak, all such things being relative). He even had some Kelp/Seaweed in the mix. Unfortunately for me, his car that I bought was an unzesty Lemon!
Jackaloupe

Postby gh » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:26 am

Jackaloupe wrote:...
Guess it wasn't until Herb Elliott came upon the scene that the US was favored by an Aussie appearance: Herb ran a sub-4 Mile on the patchy LA Coliseum grass track (thanks to Dodgers' appropriation for Beisbol while awaiting construction of Chavez Ravine)…..

Actually, the first-ever sub-4:00 on U.S. soil was by an Aussie and it wasn't Elliott! (and it wasn't Landy either!). It was…...
gh

Postby paw » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:01 am

james bailey in Los Angeles the 5th of May, 1956 in 3.58.6 beating John Landy who ran 3.58.7

link to race;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV34ZQpt ... tu.be&hd=1
Last edited by paw on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paw

Postby kuha » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 am

Good question. I remembered "Bailey" but could not dredge up a first name. Australia really had some run of great milers in that era...
kuha

Postby kuha » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:11 pm

kuha