Winter and Summer Olympians

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Winter and Summer Olympians

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:55 am

Getting a lot of my stats ready for Sochi Winter Olympics (similar to what Ken Nakamura does before major athletics meetings).

128 Olympians have competed in both the Winter and Summer Olympics

50 of them competed in track & field athletics at the Summer Olympics. The breakdown is as follows:

Biathlon 1
Bobsledding 40
Cross-Country Skiing 4
Cross-Country Skiing/Nordic Combined 3
Figure Skating 1
Ice Hockey 1

I have the list of the lot if any of you are interested.
bambam

Re: Winter and Summer Olympians

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:56 am

3 women - 47 men - the women had two bobsledders and one cross-country skiier
bambam

Postby norunner » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:27 am

Who was the T&F figure skater ?
norunner

Postby 18.99s » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:28 pm

bambam wrote:128 Olympians have competed in both the Winter and Summer Olympics

How many of them medaled in both?
18.99s

Postby Per Andersen » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:14 pm

18.99s wrote:

One of my childhood heroes, Martin Stokken of Norway came close to medals in both Summer and Winter Games. Silver in 4x10 km relay Cross country in 1952 and 4th place In the London Olympics in the 10000.
I believe he was the 4th runner in history to go sub 30 mins in the 10000.
Per Andersen

Postby cullman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Eddie Eagan won gold in boxing and four man bobsled. Billy Fiske (mentioned recently in "What Are You Reading Now?" topic) was the driver in the four man. Bud Greenspan featured Fiske in The Olympiad documentary.
cullman

Postby bambam » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 am

norunner wrote:Who was the T&F figure skater ?

Yngvar Bryn - Norway - 1900 athletics, 1920 figure skating
bambam

Postby bambam » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 am

18.99s wrote:

Four Olympians have medalled in both the Summer and Winter Olympics, none of them competing in athletics. They are as follows:

Clara Hughes F CAN Cycling/Speedskating
Christa Rothenburger-Luding F GDR/GER Cycling/Speedskating
Eddie Eagan M USA Bobsledding/Boxing
Jacob Tullin Thams M NOR Sailing (Yachting)/Ski Jumping
bambam

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:45 pm

bambam,
Thanks for bringing up Jacob Tullin Thams. He was from my dad's generation. In 1924 or '25 the Norwegian Ski Champs were held in Voss, western Norway (birthplace of Knute Rockne). My dad was there an took several photos of Tullin Thams. They were in my dad's photo album. My brother in Norway has that album. I just knew Thams as a great ski-jumper and innovator. I did not know about the Yachting medal but Ski-jumping and speed skating were my favorite sports in those days, from age 8 until the Helsinki Games. Until Tullin Thams the ski jumpers mainly stood straight up during the jump, leaning only slightly forward. They had less speed and 45 meters (150ft) was a good length. But Thams started leaning markedly forward from the hips. That style was more or less the prevailing style until about 1954 when the Finns, Pietikainen and Heinonen totally dethroned the Norwegians. The Finns did not bend much from the hips. They dove straight forward, right from the boots. It was stunning to watch and it took close to 10 years before Norway again had the best jumper.
Per Andersen

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:25 am

Athletics and bobsledding is the most common summer/winter double, by far. Of the 128 athletes who have competed in both games, here are the sport combinations for more than 1 athlete, in order of most common:

ATH/BOB 40
CYC/SSK 16
CCS/CYC 9
HOK/ICH 7
ATH/CCS 4
FTB/ICH 4
ATH/CCS/NCO 3
BOB/EQU 2
BOB/HOK 2
BOB/ROW 2
CYC/STK 2
ICH/SAI 2

Until the 80s when bobsledding started recruiting track guys/women, cycling/speed skating was the most common combination, but that is hard anymore because of the specialization in those 2 sports.
bambam

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 am

Per Andersen wrote:bambam,
Thanks for bringing up Jacob Tullin Thams. He was from my dad's generation. In 1924 or '25 the Norwegian Ski Champs were held in Voss, western Norway (birthplace of Knute Rockne). My dad was there an took several photos of Tullin Thams. They were in my dad's photo album. My brother in Norway has that album. I just knew Thams as a great ski-jumper and innovator. I did not know about the Yachting medal but Ski-jumping and speed skating were my favorite sports in those days, from age 8 until the Helsinki Games. Until Tullin Thams the ski jumpers mainly stood straight up during the jump, leaning only slightly forward. They had less speed and 45 meters (150ft) was a good length. But Thams started leaning markedly forward from the hips. That style was more or less the prevailing style until about 1954 when the Finns, Pietikainen and Heinonen totally dethroned the Norwegians. The Finns did not bend much from the hips. They dove straight forward, right from the boots. It was stunning to watch and it took close to 10 years before Norway again had the best jumper.

Interesting to watch the evolution of ski jumping styles over the years. In addition to forward bend, the jumpers initially put their arms overhead, before learning to place them tight against their sides. Then in the late 80s the V-style came to be the dominant style. Similar to the evolution in high jumping styles.
bambam

Postby Per Andersen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 pm

bambam wrote:
Interesting to watch the evolution of ski jumping styles over the years. In addition to forward bend, the jumpers initially put their arms overhead, before learning to place them tight against their sides. Then in the late 80s the V-style came to be the dominant style. Similar to the evolution in high jumping styles.

You are right.
I like that V-style but I'm not crazy about the "flight suits" they are wearing now and the scrawny looks of many of the leading jumpers. Lightness is everything but some of them look almost emancipated.

When I was 10 years old I got to watch the then 40 year old Birger Ruud in an exhibition. It was in the summer so they had trucked in snow to a 50 meter hill and the jumpers ended up in stacks of hay after the short end-run.
Birger Ruud did a somersault on those long, heavy, unwieldily jump skis with a perfect landing. It absolutely blew me away.
Per Andersen

Postby bambam » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 am

Per Andersen wrote:I like that V-style but I'm not crazy about the "flight suits" they are wearing now and the scrawny looks of many of the leading jumpers. Lightness is everything but some of them look almost emancipated.

Supposedly a fair amount of anorexia among the top ski jumpers.
bambam