Agricultural Center

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Agricultural Center

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Happy birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion with two Olympic gold medals.

Our birthday athlete was born 83 years ago today in a farming community.

This champion was only 18 years old when winning the first of two Olympic gold medals.

Four years after our birthday athlete won the second Olympic gold medal, another athlete with the same initials won three Olympic gold medals in Australia.

Married twice, this birthday person was born on a Monday during the Great Depression and died on a Saturday about seven years ago.

Buried not far from this athlete's place of birth, our birthday person was 75 at the time of this athlete's death.

You must think about the hurdles when trying to come up with this person's name.

Ok, everyone must know it by now. Name our birthday athlete for this third Sunday in November.
DoubleRBar

Re: Agricultural Center

Postby houstonian » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Bob Mathias, born in Tulare, CA.
houstonian

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:20 pm

You got him, houstonian. Bob Mathias was born today, 83 years ago. Can you imagine an 18 year old boy winning the Olympic decathlon in 2016 or 2020? I imagine it could happen, but the chances are pretty slim. I also realize that Mathias was lucky that the Soviet Union did not compete in London in 1948. Had the Soviet Union been in London, there was a good chance Mathias might not have won the gold medal. Heino Lipp (Estonian) would have been the clear favorite in London, but he wasn't there.

Actually, Bob Mathias was 17 years and about 263 days old when he won the Olympic gold medal in London. Hard to imagine anyone that age winning Olympic gold now. Maybe some African distance runner at that age could win the 5,000 or maybe the 10,000, but not likely.

Good job, houstonian.
DoubleRBar

Postby houstonian » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Mathias was an athlete for the ages. He was an incredible physical specimen. He would win the gold medal today, though not at 18. Some athletes transcend eras by virtue of their amazing physicality (Wilt Chamberlain, Doug Atkins, Jim Brown, Tommie Smith, Randy Matson, etc).
Mathias belongs in that category of immortality.
houstonian

Postby KDFINE » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:47 pm

For the life of me I've been going nuts trying to figure out the athlete with 3 golds in 1956 with the initials BM or maybe RM. and then I just felt like an idiot when I emerged from my brain lock!
KDFINE

Postby KDFINE » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:47 pm

For the life of me I've been going nuts trying to figure out the athlete with 3 golds in 1956 with the initials BM or maybe RM. and then I just felt like an idiot when I emerged from my brain lock!
KDFINE

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Happens to me all the time.
DoubleRBar

Postby KDFINE » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:06 pm

What really got to me was that I knew the answer was Bob Mathias - that was fairly easy, but to scratch my head at such an obvious clue had me really frustrated.
KDFINE

Postby Jackaloupe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 am

KD, And were you reticent to mention Bobby Morrow, as the 3 Golds winner, thinking it was so obvious?
I was fortunate to draw the same 100 yds. Heat, at Fresno Relays, as BM; that way I could appreciate, up close and too personal, that famed gear-change acceleration about 10 yds. out (I'd actually gotten out even, making it even more of an imprint).
That's an effect on a Sprinter that I'm convinced led to Ray Stewart, of Jamaica via Texas (A&M?), missing out on a medal in 1984: Ray had run the fastest Heat, ~10.17, and drew the adjacent lane to Carl Lewis in the Final. When Lewis hit his own acceleration point, around 20-25m, he stood Ray right up, quite visibly.
Jackaloupe