84 Women 200 Weltklasse Zurich

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

84 Women 200 Weltklasse Zurich

Postby bambam » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Few things about this race, which I just watched on youtube.

1) Amazing how Google tracks what we do. A few minutes before this, I was on this Message Board looking at the Marita Koch/Udo Beyer thread when I went to youtube. I was not looking for track & field stuff - I wanted to look at some old Jim Mora rants, because they crack me up. But this race video was listed in my options - amazing they knew I am doing that - and probably a bit scary.

2) And speaking of scary - how is this field for this race - Marita Koch, Chandra Cheese, FloJo, Barbel Wockel, Kathy Smallwood-Cook, and Valerie Briscoe-Hooks?!?!?!? Ever been a better field in a women's sprint race? - I can't think of one.

3) And finally, I know what she did, but my God, what an athlete Marita Koch was - she blew that field away (I know FloJo wasn't really FloJo yet in 1984).
bambam

Re: 84 Women 200 Weltklasse Zurich

Postby houstonian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 pm

bambam wrote:
Ever been a better field in a women's sprint race? - I can't think of one.

As you stated with Flojo at Zurich '84, you must consider their chops at race time.
I think the 1992 Olympic 100m final in Barcelona was the deepest field and best race , with the best result in history. Remember also that race was into a -2.5 headwind. Simply incredible readiness at racetime by five athletes ..............with the highest possible prize at stake.

Devers
Cuthbert
Privalova
Torrence
Ottey
houstonian

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:22 am

houstonian wrote:
bambam wrote:

As you stated with Flojo at Zurich '84, you must consider their chops at race time.
I think the 1992 Olympic 100m final in Barcelona was the deepest field and best race , with the best result in history. Remember also that race was into a -2.5 headwind. Simply incredible readiness at racetime by five athletes ..............with the highest possible prize at stake.

Devers
Cuthbert
Privalova
Torrence
Ottey

That's pretty strong. FloJo wasn't FloJo yet in 84, but she wasn't chopped liver in 84 in the 200, and Cheese and VBH were at the top of their games. Wockel was maybe a bit past her prime. Still a very strong field with KSC the slightly weak link.
bambam

Postby bighitter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:52 am

houstonian wrote:
bambam wrote:

Devers
Cuthbert
Privalova
Torrence
Ottey

Barcelona Women's 100m final wind reading was -1.0m/s (perhaps you are thinking of mph? 1.0m/s is 2.23mph)

A great race though, you are correct.. Barcelona track threw up some very fast sprint times
bighitter

Postby Rog » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:40 am

bighitter wrote:
houstonian wrote:
bambam wrote:

Devers
Cuthbert
Privalova
Torrence
Ottey

Barcelona Women's 100m final wind reading was -1.0m/s (perhaps you are thinking of mph? 1.0m/s is 2.23mph)

A great race though, you are correct.. Barcelona track threw up some very fast sprint times

There has been speculation that the wind guage was set up wrongly and should have read +1 m/s. Certainly that seems much more consistent with those times.
Rog