The All Jamaican 4x1...

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

The All Jamaican 4x1...

Postby Dixon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 pm

..relay.

If you were born there, you belong.

lane

1.Nesta Carter..Lindel Frater..Nikel Asmeade...Yohan Blake
2.Steve Mullings..Donovan Powell..Warren Weir..Asafa Powell
3.Ben Johnson..KBC..Jason Young...Lennox Miller
4.Erroll Stewart...Percival Spenser..Mario Forsythe...Ray Stewart
5.Dwight Thomas..Michael Frater..Dennis Johnson...Donovan Bailey
6.Robert Esmie...Andrew Riley..Herb McKenley...Linford Christie
7.Lerone Clarke..Keith Gardner...Mike Fray...Usian Bolt
8.Carl Lawson...Les Laing...Marvin Anderson...Don Quarrie

That really is amazing. Jamaica is the size of what state?
Dixon

Re: The All Jamaican 4x1...

Postby Rustyjaguar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:47 am

How about Asafa Powell first, Donovan Bailey second, Yohan Blake Third, Bolt anchor.! :shock:
Rustyjaguar

Postby Jackaloupe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:06 am

Dixon, May I cast a winsome (pun intended) vote for my ol' NJ 100 yd. Champ, 1955, Al Phillips, of Montclair HS. As I've posted Al went on to help coach the Jamaican Oly Team in 1984/LA; dying of a heart attack not long after. I don't know if he ever even ran in College, as I'd moved to LA by then.
Al won NJ State Group IV in 9.4--hand-timed, but on a loose cinder track. Unless you had Starting Blocks, a bit of a rarity back then, the Start was totally loose by the time Finals rolled around. [I had to make up a coupla yards in the 180 LH, as my sneaky teammate--wont to drag/overlap an inside trailing leg at home meets, where he'd cadge his favorite lane and be assured "officials" (Shop Teachers and such) would either look the other way or remain clueless--claimed the only starting blocks Matawan HS had. Maybe I should've complained louder, but I always beat him anyway.]

BTW, isn't it Michael Frater, or didja dredge up Birt(h) Certs?
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:41 am

Rustyjaguar wrote:How about Asafa Powell first, Donovan Bailey second, Yohan Blake Third, Bolt anchor.! :shock:

36.65?
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:44 am

Jackaloupe wrote:Dixon, May I cast a winsome (pun intended) vote for my ol' NJ 100 yd. Champ, 1955, Al Phillips, of Montclair HS. As I've posted Al went on to help coach the Jamaican Oly Team in 1984/LA; dying of a heart attack not long after. I don't know if he ever even ran in College, as I'd moved to LA by then.
Al won NJ State Group IV in 9.4--hand-timed, but on a loose cinder track. Unless you had Starting Blocks, a bit of a rarity back then, the Start was totally loose by the time Finals rolled around. [I had to make up a coupla yards in the 180 LH, as my sneaky teammate--wont to drag/overlap an inside trailing leg at home meets, where he'd cadge his favorite lane and be assured "officials" (Shop Teachers and such) would either look the other way or remain clueless--claimed the only starting blocks Matawan HS had. Maybe I should've complained louder, but I always beat him anyway.]

BTW, isn't it Michael Frater, or didja dredge up Birt(h) Certs?

I don't think Al would make it in with those guys bro, sorry.

I don't get your...Michael Frater..?
Dixon

Postby Jackaloupe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Didn't see Michael Frater further below, only Lindel, whom I don't know.
I know Al Phillips never showed up after HS, but I'm betting he could've hung with many of your "crop". BTW, is Kerron Steward related to Ray?
I'll always believe Ray would've medalled in '84 had he drawn any other Lane than right next to Carl Lewis, who stood Ray up midway thru their acceleration phase. Ray had led 1st Round Heats with 10.15! BTW, Ray was one of the early long 'n tall prototypes--at least at 100m, what with Herb McKenley (100m OlyFinalist, but better known for 400m) and Arthur Wint (600m) tending that way.
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:Didn't see Michael Frater further below, only Lindel, whom I don't know.
I know Al Phillips never showed up after HS, but I'm betting he could've hung with many of your "crop". BTW, is Kerron Steward related to Ray?
I'll always believe Ray would've medalled in '84 had he drawn any other Lane than right next to Carl Lewis, who stood Ray up midway thru their acceleration phase. Ray had led 1st Round Heats with 10.15! BTW, Ray was one of the early long 'n tall prototypes--at least at 100m, what with Herb McKenley (100m OlyFinalist, but better known for 400m) and Arthur Wint (600m) tending that way.

Lindel is Michael's older brother. Both went to TCU.

I can see Ray Stewart medaling in 84. I doubt he's related to Kerron, she is a Stewar-d.

McKenley is still the only sprinter to make the Olympic 100, 200 and 400 finals. Wint was what..6-5?
Dixon