John Norton

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

John Norton

Postby DoubleRBar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:47 am

Happy birthday today (Thursday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Saturday 117 years ago this day in August.

Our birthday athlete died at the age of 74, just one day after the birth of Picabo Street (1998 Olympic champion).

The brother of our birthday champion was also on the same Olympic team as was our birthday person.

Of course you know the World Championships were on one week ago. Last Friday marked the 93rd anniversary of our birthday champion's Olympic gold medal.

This athlete was not the favorite going into the final at the Olympic Games, however our birthday person won the gold medal with a new world record.

Born during an Olympic year, this person died on a Sunday in April.

An athlete at Oregon High School, our birthday champion excelled at track and field.

When trying to figure the name of this athlete, you had better set up the hurdles.

Who is this Olympic champion that won the gold medal just six days before having this athlete's 24th birthday?
DoubleRBar

Re: John Norton

Postby rhymans » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:19 am

I think the question may not be quite accurate - Frank Loomis is the athlete, but I don't think that his brother Joe was an Olympian (though an excellent sprinter/high jumper in the 1914-16 period.
rhymans

Re: John Norton

Postby DoubleRBar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 am

Very good, rhymans. It is Frank Loomis who was born 117 years ago today. Loomis won the 1920 400 hurdles. I thought his brother, Joe Gilbert Loomis, was an alternate sprinter on the same 1920 Olympic team.
Maybe not. I believe Joe finished fourth in the 100 meter semi-final at the 1920 Olympic Trials. Top three moved on to the finals.
DoubleRBar