English Milers, Prolific Posters

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

English Milers, Prolific Posters

Postby LopenUupunut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:46 am

Today's birthday quiz features three jumpers who all set world records.

Athlete A was born 103 years ago today (Thursday) and set world records both indoors and outdoors. He had the bad luck of twice placing fourth at the Olympic Trials while being a world-beater in the years in between; troubled by a hernia, he almost completely missed one year at the peak of his career and didn't quite manage to regain his record-breaking shape.

Athlete B was born 101 years ago today and won both gold and bronze at the Olympics. This athlete succeeded one of his countrymen as Olympic champion, winning with a new world record.

Athlete C was born 52 years ago today and set world records both indoors and outdoors. In addition, he was a gold medallist at both Olympics and European Championships; however, he never medalled at the outdoor World Championships.

Athlete A's full name reminds one of a famous English runner. Two of these jumpers competed in the same event, while the third did not. Can you name today's birthday athletes?

(Also, there's still an unanswered question in the American Silver thread - apart from Glenn Cunningham, which other athlete from the same time period fits the description of "a rising star from Kansas who'd nearly had to have a leg amputated after a serious childhood accident"? Bonus points if you get that right as well :))
LopenUupunut

Re: English Milers, Prolific Posters

Postby bambam » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:15 am

Well, I looked this up this AM so I won't give it away. But good luck to everybody finding Athlete A - that's a tough one, I think.
bambam

Postby Master Po » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:11 am

LopenUupunut wrote:...
(Also, there's still an unanswered question in the American Silver thread - apart from Glenn Cunningham, which other athlete from the same time period fits the description of "a rising star from Kansas who'd nearly had to have a leg amputated after a serious childhood accident"? Bonus points if you get that right as well :))

OK, I had to look this one up, but I won't take away anyone else's opportunities to guess and/or show their knowledge. I will say that I was surprised it was a name I knew -- when I went looking, I was assuming it would be someone really obscure, because I had never heard the story you relate here. Interesting stuff.

By the way, I really appreciate the work you put into these quizzes. I rarely rarely know any of the answers.
:)
Master Po

Postby rhymans » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Spitz-Tajima-Mögenburg
rhymans

Postby LopenUupunut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Yes, athletes B and C are Naoto Tajima and Dietmar Mögenburg. Well done, rhymans.

A nice try with Spitz (you even got the right English runner!) but he never set an outdoor WR and actually made the Oly team in 1932.

I'm sure you can get the Kansas one, given you actually mention the incident in your History of the US Olympic Trials :)

Master Po - thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I need to make these quizzes easier :)
LopenUupunut

Postby lonewolf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 pm

I don't have the rest of the clues but was the "rising Kansas miler" Wes Santeefrom Ashland, KS?
lonewolf

Postby rhymans » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:24 pm

I should read questions more carefully (a problem dating from teenage exam years) - my next guess is Walter Marty [similar to Walter George, but closer to my father's favourite James Thurber story involving Walter Mitty). Sneaking a look a my OT book would be cheating.
rhymans

Postby LopenUupunut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Lonewolf, I'm afraid you're twenty years too late :)

Yes, athlete A is Walter Marty. I think his middle name was George :)
LopenUupunut

Postby EastBayprepoftheweek67 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:42 pm

LopenUupunut wrote:(Also, there's still an unanswered question in the American Silver thread - apart from Glenn Cunningham, which other athlete from the same time period fits the description of "a rising star from Kansas who'd nearly had to have a leg amputated after a serious childhood accident"? Bonus points if you get that right as well :))

Archie San Romani, Sr.
EastBayprepoftheweek67

Postby LopenUupunut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Correct. Well done, EastBayprepoftheweek67 :)
LopenUupunut

Postby Master Po » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:07 am

LopenUupunut wrote:...
Master Po - thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I need to make these quizzes easier :)

Good quiz(zes)! Don't make them easier. Believe me -- if you start dumbing-down for me, there's no limit to how low we'll have to go. :)

As I mentioned above, I had never heard/read that story about Archie San Romani (senior). But -- credit here to Mr. Hymans -- his history was the source I went to for the answer. Great reading there, and of course an authoritative source.

I would be interested to know more about what sorts of therapy/rehab both Cunningham & San Romani endured in order to return to full functioning (much less become elite distance runners). I don't know if any accounts exist in more detail of what kind of medical treatment these two had. It's hard to imagine such a recovery from such serious injuries now; very hard for me to grasp how they managed it in the 1930s.
Master Po