Decker Budd ESPN

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Decker Budd ESPN

Postby bambam » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:30 pm

ESPN doing a 9 for 9 documentary to air at 8 PM tomorrow nite (Tuesday, 13 August) on Mary Decker-Slaney and the 1984 Olympics and her fall in the 3,000
bambam

Re: Decker Budd ESPN

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:34 pm

I saw the promo for it and I plan on watching it. Thanks.
jazzcyclist

Postby Rog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:39 pm

I hope you enjoy the programme, but isn't this story a little tired? It's been rehashed endlessly over the years, to the point where reality is obscured - how much time will they spend saying the best in the world weren't even in LA, apart from Puica and arguably Decker. In fact neither Decker nor Budd were ranked in the world's top ten for 1984!
Rog

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Contrast 26-year-old Mary Decker's reaction in 1984 to 20-year-old Kirani James's reaction today.
JumboElliott

Postby Samurai_Runner » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 pm

I highly recommend this program. It covers her entire career, from when she was a child prodigy to her last Olympics in 1996, and includes interviews with her & Zola Budd, as well as her coaches and mother.
Samurai_Runner

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 am

JumboElliott wrote:Contrast 26-year-old Mary Decker's reaction in 1984 to 20-year-old Kirani James's reaction today.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. I thought James just ran poorly, I didn't realize he'd gotten tripped. :?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:26 am

Samurai_Runner wrote:I highly recommend this program. It covers her entire career, from when she was a child prodigy to her last Olympics in 1996, and includes interviews with her & Zola Budd, as well as her coaches and mother.

I agree. It was really just a one-hour biography of Decker with no mention of Budd until about the last 15 or 20 minutes. By the way, Ruth Wysocki was also featured in this documentary which is another reason to check it out.
jazzcyclist

Postby jhc68 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:23 pm

It is a stale topic, but I guess interest in Decker continues because she is such an enigmatic, Jekyll and Hyde figure.
Beautiful on the track, a matchless talent who still owns multiple American records and a joy to see when she was at her best.
And capable of instantly transforming into a nasty, graceless whiner when things did not break her way.
Fun to watch but never someone you think you'd want to hang around.
The ESPN film captures what has always seemed obvious to anyone who followed her career: As a personality she never seemed to mature from the petulant 15 year old who threw the baton at the mean old Russian relay runner and then cried, not so much about her own behavior but because of her bad fortune and victimization. At least that is the way she was perceived.
Accurate or not, she kept re-enforcing that image over years, and when her greatest test of character occurred in 84 Decker failed miserably on the world stage.
30 years later I'm still in awe of her talent and I still find myself wishing she could have grown and found her better self in the crunch.
jhc68

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:07 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Samurai_Runner wrote:I highly recommend this program. It covers her entire career, from when she was a child prodigy to her last Olympics in 1996, and includes interviews with her & Zola Budd, as well as her coaches and mother.

I agree. It was really just a one-hour biography of Decker with no mention of Budd until about the last 15 or 20 minutes. By the way, Ruth Wysocki was also featured in this documentary which is another reason to check it out.

If you watch it again, the first 15-20 mins were focused on Decker's early career, then there was about 20 mins on the entire Budd affair with the remainder of the afterlogue. I'm positive on the timing because I turned it on a little after the 15 min mark during the premier and caught just the beginning of introduction of the Budd portion (after the '83 WC section).
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:08 pm

jhc68 wrote:It is a stale topic, but I guess interest in Decker continues because she is such an enigmatic, Jekyll and Hyde figure.
Beautiful on the track, a matchless talent who still owns multiple American records and a joy to see when she was at her best.
And capable of instantly transforming into a nasty, graceless whiner when things did not break her way.
Fun to watch but never someone you think you'd want to hang around.
The ESPN film captures what has always seemed obvious to anyone who followed her career: As a personality she never seemed to mature from the petulant 15 year old who threw the baton at the mean old Russian relay runner and then cried, not so much about her own behavior but because of her bad fortune and victimization. At least that is the way she was perceived.
Accurate or not, she kept re-enforcing that image over years, and when her greatest test of character occurred in 84 Decker failed miserably on the world stage.
30 years later I'm still in awe of her talent and I still find myself wishing she could have grown and found her better self in the crunch.

Agreed and that stretch run in the '83 1500m was a highlight of my track fandom.
Dutra5

Postby Rog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:05 am

Did it cover the drug test positive? Did she talk about that?
Rog

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Nooope. Unfortunately, very few things that talk about Mary Decker do bring that up.
JumboElliott