Fill in the lanes

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Fill in the lanes

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:54 am

All Time 100m featuring long jumpers

lane

1.Andy Stanfield Seton Hall
2.N. Makusha FSU
3.Dwight Phillips ASU
4.Carl Lewis Houston
5.Kareem Street-Thompson Rice
6.Doc Patton TCU
7.Jesse Owens Ohio State
8.Bruny Surin GB

(others...Eulace Peacock, Leroy Burrell)

All Time 100m featuring 110 hurdlers

lane

1.Hayes Jones Eastern Michigan
2.Mark McCoy Clemson/Canada
3.Terrence Trammell South Carolina
4.Harrison Dilliard Baldwin Wallace
5.Tony Dees Mississippi
6.Colin Jackson GB
7.Willie Gault Tennesee
8.Richmond Flowers Tennessee

All Time 100m featuring NFL wide receivers

lane

1.Ron Brown ASU
2.Alvis Whitted NCSt
3.Sam Graddy Tennessee
4.Bob Hayes FAMU
5.Jacoby Ford Clemson
6.Jimmy Hines TSU
7.Willie Gault Tennessee
8.Willie McGee Alcorn

All Time 100m featuring sub 46.00 400m sprinters

lane

1.Herb McKenley Illinois/Jamaica
2.Henry Carr ASU
3.Michael Johnson Baylor
4.Tommie Smith SJS
5.Michael Franks So. Illinois
6.Willie Smith Auburn
7.Innocent Egbunike Aziusa/Nigeria
8.Cliff Wiley Kansas
Last edited by Dixon on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Dixon

Re: Fill in the lanes

Postby Jackaloupe » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:22 am

First off, Ashton Eaton as DecaWR holder in LJ. And w/o pondering any shortlist of Open performers, you still have to let in both Eaton and Milt Campbell into any fantasy sprint race comprising top Hurdlers (Milt tied the WR, and Eaton not only has Decathlon Records (in both?), but beat the World Champ (Mt. Sac.).
AE's LJ/100/110H/400 Combo is epic.

Please don't ask for a Lineup for this one, as Manhattan's Ken Bantum is the only 60 ft. Shotputter to run the Hurdles in 14(+) seconds. He seemingly had to "chop", and being tall like Majewski (sp?) could never have spun.
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:53 am

Jackaloupe wrote:First off, Ashton Eaton as DecaWR holder in LJ. And w/o pondering any shortlist of Open performers, you still have to let in both Eaton and Milt Campbell into any fantasy sprint race comprising top Hurdlers (Milt tied the WR, and Eaton not only has Decathlon Records (in both?), but beat the World Champ (Mt. Sac.).
AE's LJ/100/110H/400 Combo is epic.

Please don't ask for a Lineup for this one, as Manhattan's Ken Bantum is the only 60 ft. Shotputter to run the Hurdles in 14(+) seconds. He seemingly had to "chop", and being tall like Majewski (sp?) could never have spun.

I'm pretty sure we can come up with 8 hurdlers superior to Campbell in a 100m. AE might make it.

What decathlete does have the best combo shot/110 PR's...hmmm?
Dixon

Postby Daisy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:10 am

All Time 100m featuring NFL wide receivers

lane

1.Ron Brown
2.Cliff Branch
3.Frank Budd
4.Bob Hayes
5.Mel Gray
6.Willie McGee
7.Jimmy Hines
8.Alvis Whitted
Daisy

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:19 am

Daisy wrote:All Time 100m featuring NFL wide receivers

lane

1.Ron Brown
2.Cliff Branch
3.Frank Budd
4.Bob Hayes
5.Mel Gray
6.Willie McGee
7.Jimmy Hines
8.Alvis Whitted

Not bad but where is that Olympic silver medalist? Where is that 10.01 guy?
Dixon

Postby Daisy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:33 pm

Dixon wrote:Not bad but where is that Olympic silver medalist? Where is that 10.01 guy?

Someone has to get cut ;) Are you talking about Sam Graddy? How about a nine lane final!
Daisy

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Is the All American WR from Tennessee a hurdler, a WR or both?
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Daisy wrote:
Dixon wrote:Not bad but where is that Olympic silver medalist? Where is that 10.01 guy?

Someone has to get cut ;) Are you talking about Sam Graddy? How about a nine lane final!

Yep, Graddy.

How's bout...

lane

1.Ron Brown..10.06
2.Willie Gault...10.10
3.Alvis Whitted..10.07
4.Bob Hayes..10.06
5.Jim Hines....9.95
6.Sam Graddy..10.09
7.Jacoby Ford...10.01
8.Willie McGee..9.1

"B"

lane

1.James Jett...10.16
2.Cliff Branch..9.2
3.Mel Gray...9.2
4.Isacc Curtis..9.3
5.Frank Budd..9.2
6.J.D.Hill..9.3
7.Mike Miller..10.11
8.Ray Norton...9.3
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby Daisy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:37 pm

We need Jett just for his name.

Gault should stick to the 100 for hurdlers :) Speaking of which, is he still running in masters events?

I had no idea Jacoby Ford was that fast. I guess I didn't really follow his NCAA career.
Daisy

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Daisy wrote:We need Jett just for his name.

Gault should stick to the 100 for hurdlers :) Speaking of which, is he still running in masters events?

I had no idea Jacoby Ford was that fast. I guess I didn't really follow his NCAA career.

Jett was an Olympic 4x1 alternate.

Gault would be the only one in more than one of these finals.

Ford, Demps and Holliday the recent NFLers who could have ran pro track instead.
Dixon

Postby Jackaloupe » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm pretty sure we can come up with 8 hurdlers superior to Campbell in a 100m.

Not so fast (pun intended), Dixon. What with no criteria for Comps specified, but listing Harrison Dillard (no objection here) as Lane 4, you clearly imply adjusting times for "times". You'll never convince me Milt couldn't have run a legal 10.4 back then; and even his stated 10.5ht is still closer to the WR of the day (10.2, right?) than any latter day speedsters can claim. To my knowledge Milt never got much of a chance to register his superspeed in many flat races; and forget his Decathlon marks on some of the lousier tracks, starting w/ Melbourne. Crawfordsville (cinder) was pretty soft; and he didn't compete the next year on the faster Kingsburg track, already having turned to Hurdles specialty, where he tied Jack Davis's WR in Compton--my alltime favorite on-the-spot race, where I got to speak w/ Elias Gilbert (Winston Salem/Linden, NJ HS), who ran 13.5 that night). Trust me, Milt was a veritable freight train, like Bolt but heavier.
Of course, Rafer Johnson had plenty of cred in all 3 of your fantasy events, too, having made the '56 Oly team in LJ, too.

BTW, Sure wish you'd have kept the already-covered NFL crew out of this one as it's too obscure for many of us. I mean, I could add in Milt for his Swimming prowess--a fact I was well aware of, but that's more available on Google Search than his 100 times.
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:I'm pretty sure we can come up with 8 hurdlers superior to Campbell in a 100m.

Not so fast (pun intended), Dixon. What with no criteria for Comps specified, but listing Harrison Dillard (no objection here) as Lane 4, you clearly imply adjusting times for "times". You'll never convince me Milt couldn't have run a legal 10.4 back then; and even his stated 10.5ht is still closer to the WR of the day (10.2, right?) than any latter day speedsters can claim. To my knowledge Milt never got much of a chance to register his superspeed in many flat races; and forget his Decathlon marks on some of the lousier tracks, starting w/ Melbourne. Crawfordsville (cinder) was pretty soft; and he didn't compete the next year on the faster Kingsburg track, already having turned to Hurdles specialty, where he tied Jack Davis's WR in Compton--my alltime favorite on-the-spot race, where I got to speak w/ Elias Gilbert (Winston Salem/Linden, NJ HS), who ran 13.5 that night). Trust me, Milt was a veritable freight train, like Bolt but heavier.
Of course, Rafer Johnson had plenty of cred in all 3 of your fantasy events, too, having made the '56 Oly team in LJ, too.

BTW, Sure wish you'd have kept the already-covered NFL crew out of this one as it's too obscure for many of us. I mean, I could add in Milt for his Swimming prowess--a fact I was well aware of, but that's more available on Google Search than his 100 times.

You can't talk 100/110's and not start with Harrison Dillard for obvious reasons. But....after Dillard we do have to start looking at what was actually ran. I really don't see Campbell on a par with those I have in mind in a 100m.

I can say the same thing about Rafer Johnson.

Don't get me wrong I'm big up on both, well aware of their exploits.
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Dixon wrote:
Daisy wrote:We need Jett just for his name.

Jett was an Olympic 4x1 alternate.

Gault would be the only one in more than one of these finals.

Ford, Demps and Holliday the recent NFLers who could have ran pro track instead.

Technically, not sure Demps qualifies as an NFLer at this point.
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:22 pm

The minute he cashed an NFL check for his services he became an NFLer,
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Dixon wrote:The minute he cashed an NFL check for his services he became an NFLer,

Your standards are deteriorating. :D
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:The minute he cashed an NFL check for his services he became an NFLer,

Not at all. Demps was a legit footballer while at Florida, this isn't some experiment like we saw with Jimmy Hines, Tommie Smith and Nehemiah.

Jeff Demps is a real NFLer.
Dixon

Postby hc10003 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:11 pm

As fast as Nehemiah was, he may deserve a lane, too, even among the flat sprinters. And what about Johnny Lam Jones, Oly relay gold + 100m finalist? Surely merits consideration, too.
hc10003

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm

hc10003 wrote:As fast as Nehemiah was, he may deserve a lane, too, even among the flat sprinters. And what about Johnny Lam Jones, Oly relay gold + 100m finalist? Surely merits consideration, too.

Nehemiah was a 10.18w, and did little in the event.

Good one with Johnny Jones, and while he's superior to some I mentioned in that "B" race he doesn't warrant a lane in the "A" race.
Dixon

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Hurdlers/sprinters: Hayes Jones. Ran 9.4 when 9.3 was the WR. Gold and Bronze in the 110 in 1960 and 1964.
Sprint/Long Jump: Andy Stanfield. Word ranked #3 and #7 in the LJ + 200 and 100.
Also Bruny Surin. 8.03 LJ , silver in WC 100 in '99 after Greene, best time 9.84.
Per Andersen

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Per Andersen wrote:Hurdlers/sprinters: Hayes Jones. Ran 9.4 when 9.3 was the WR. Gold and Bronze in the 110 in 1960 and 1964.
Sprint/Long Jump: Andy Stanfield. Word ranked #3 and #7 in the LJ + 200 and 100.
Also Bruny Surin. 8.03 LJ , silver in WC 100 in '99 after Greene, best time 9.84.

Good ones, I'll fill some lanes.
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:37 am

Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

Not at all. Demps was a legit footballer while at Florida, this isn't some experiment like we saw with Jimmy Hines, Tommie Smith and Nehemiah.

Jeff Demps is a real NFLer.

He was an active footballer at Florida and a decent one at that. Wasn't drafted and has yet to play in a game. Once he does, then he's an NFLer.
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:53 am

paste

The Patriots announced that running back Jeff Demps was placed on injured reserve, just two weeks after he signed with the team. The Olympian played in the final two preseason games and wasn't believed to be seriously injured.

Tell Demps he isn't an NFLer as he nursed his injury.
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 am

Dixon wrote:paste

The Patriots announced that running back Jeff Demps was placed on injured reserve, just two weeks after he signed with the team. The Olympian played in the final two preseason games and wasn't believed to be seriously injured.

Demps has spent all winter spring and summer avoiding giving the Bucs an answer as to whether he intends to show up and try and make the roster. If he does and makes it, he's an NFLer. If he doesn't, he ain't.
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:55 am

Dutra5 wrote:

Demps has spent all winter spring and summer avoiding giving the Bucs an answer as to whether he intends to show up and try and make the roster. If he does and makes it, he's an NFLer. If he doesn't, he ain't.

Once you play in any NFL game you become a legit NFLer, not even open for debate. If you want to believe other wise go for it, cool with me.

Olympic sprinter Stone Johnson was in a similiar situation. He also got injured in a preseason game, cost him his life. He was no NFLer? Try explaining that to his family.
Dixon

Postby Daisy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Interesting, I had not heard of his story before.

Paraphrased from Bleacher report wrote:Stone Johnson was a track guy. At the 1960 U.S. Olympic trials he ran 20.5 for the 200 meters, which equaled the world record held at that time by Peter Radford.

The Chiefs selected Johnson in the 14th round of the 1963 AFL Draft. Johnson had a real shot at making the Chiefs roster that year. He wasn’t just a sprinter playing football; he understood the game and had excelled at the sport. While blocking on a first-quarter kickoff return in a Chiefs preseason game he injured his neck. Unable to move any of his limbs, Johnson was carried off the field on a stretcher. Taken by ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Wichita, it was determined that he suffered a compression fracture of his fifth cervical vertebrae. He underwent surgery that night. His condition seemed to stabilize.

Eight days after the surgery, Stone Johnson passed away, his parents at his bedside in Wichita. He was just 23 years old.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6716 ... ry/page/12
Daisy

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

Once you play in any NFL game you become a legit NFLer, not even open for debate. If you want to believe other wise go for it, cool with me.

Olympic sprinter Stone Johnson was in a similiar situation. He also got injured in a preseason game, cost him his life. He was no NFLer? Try explaining that to his family.

Nope. Tough luck for the guy but not an NFLer.
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Daisy wrote:Interesting, I had not heard of his story before.

Paraphrased from Bleacher report wrote:Stone Johnson was a track guy. At the 1960 U.S. Olympic trials he ran 20.5 for the 200 meters, which equaled the world record held at that time by Peter Radford.

The Chiefs selected Johnson in the 14th round of the 1963 AFL Draft. Johnson had a real shot at making the Chiefs roster that year. He wasn’t just a sprinter playing football; he understood the game and had excelled at the sport. While blocking on a first-quarter kickoff return in a Chiefs preseason game he injured his neck. Unable to move any of his limbs, Johnson was carried off the field on a stretcher. Taken by ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Wichita, it was determined that he suffered a compression fracture of his fifth cervical vertebrae. He underwent surgery that night. His condition seemed to stabilize.

Eight days after the surgery, Stone Johnson passed away, his parents at his bedside in Wichita. He was just 23 years old.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6716 ... ry/page/12

Running backs for the Chiefs....not good.

Mack "The Truck" Lee Hill was the most powerful running back I've ever seen, he averaged over 5 yards a carry between the tackles. He signed on as a free agent out of Southern U. Banged up a knee, died on the operating table.

Joe Delaney who ran on an NCAA 4x1 team with fellow NFL Mark Duper while at tiny NWLa, would gain over a 1000 yards as a rookie running back for the Chiefs.

During the off season he's up in the mountains, sees a couple kids drowning, jumps in to help.....drown.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

Nope. Tough luck for the guy but not an NFLer.

If I posted here just once would I be a T&FN poster?
Dixon

Postby smc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Ngoni Makusha in the 1st category?
smc

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:23 pm

smc wrote:Ngoni Makusha in the 1st category?

Done~~~~~~~~~
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Dixon wrote:

You'd have posted. He never played.
Dutra5

Postby user4 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:...Milt...

Milt and Rafer, will we ever see their likes again ?.. I dont think so.
user4

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:

There is a video of him rushing for 29 yards vs the Buc's. He played.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 pm

user4 wrote:
Jackaloupe wrote:...Milt...

Milt and Rafer, will we ever see their likes again ?.. I dont think so.

Rafer an Olympic gold medalist, his brother Jim in the pro football Hall of Fame.

One of my brother in laws wife lived right next door to the family in Kingsburg, nothing but good things to say about that experience.
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:

In a preseason game.
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:

In a preseason game.

I've already mentioned he played in a preseason game. So if the question is...has Jeff Demps ever played in an NFL game, the answer is....yes he has. Ask those ticket buyers if it was an NFL game :D
Dixon

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:14 pm

Dwight Phillips has run 10.06
JumboElliott

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Savante Stringfellow was pretty fast. But I can't find a 100 pr for him.

Lynn Davis ran the individual 100m in Tokyo, although he only ran 10.7
Daisy

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:26 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Dwight Phillips has run 10.06

He gets a lane :D
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Daisy wrote:Savante Stringfellow was pretty fast. But I can't find a 100 pr for him.

Lynn Davis ran the individual 100m in Tokyo, although he only ran 10.7

I think we have a few more deserving Daisy, sorry.
Dixon

Next