All Gone

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

All Gone

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:14 am

:(

There would be Taft JC in with the big boys in a 4x1, the heck with the JC ranks. They always had a slew of 10.4 or faster types. We all know about San Jose and "Speed City". Neither Taft or SJS have track programs anymore.

Modesto was big, the "West Coast Relays" a three day affair. Saw Thomas Hill at the Bakersfield Classic. All gone.

I was in the stands when Augusta Brown of COS, took on Alvin Mann and Sam Davis of Fresno City in the 100..yards. Yep..a dual meet.

This region of the country (central Cali) gave the track world these Olympians...

Randy Williams...Edison Fresno
Maxie Parks...Washington Union Fresno
Rafer Johnson..Kingsburg
Bob Mathias..Tulare Union
Tommie Smith..Lemoore
Lemon King..Delano

All gold medalists.

National caliber

Darel Newman...Reedley
Jerry Wilson..?..Fresno
Clim Jackson...Delano
Sam Davis..Edison Fresno
Larance Jones...Lemoore
Jerry White...Corcoran (high school level)

I guess Marques Holliwell (USC) would be the last sprinter of note from around here, West Bakersfield. Joel and Tom Andrews also out of West Bakersfield.

It's just not the same anymore. Then we see pro track having the problems it's had/having and.... :(
Dixon

Re: All Gone

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 am

Lemon King..Delano

That'd be the dude who collared all that Kern Co. water, whose Bio came out a few years ago, while Leamon King did indeed "rule" back in the 50s--one of those T&F icons I never would've heard of back East were it not for my sub to T&FN. Nor would I have known to send my $30 (?) to Carlsen Imports, 300 Broadway, NYC for a pair of blue Adidas w/ nice long (permanent) spikes (replaceable spikes were for the likes of Spalding, Rawlings and other heavy shoes)

As for fruit kings, my pal Gary Gonzalez from Hollister, CA, bills himself The Apricot King. Unlike Sprinting produce allows you to self-anoint, so to speak, even if that paints a sticky pic.
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 am

Jackaloupe wrote:Lemon King..Delano

That'd be the dude who collared all that Kern Co. water, whose Bio came out a few years ago, while Leamon King did indeed "rule" back in the 50s--one of those T&F icons I never would've heard of back East were it not for my sub to T&FN. Nor would I have known to send my $30 (?) to Carlsen Imports, 300 Broadway, NYC for a pair of blue Adidas w/ nice long (permanent) spikes (replaceable spikes were for the likes of Spalding, Rawlings and other heavy shoes)

As for fruit kings, my pal Gary Gonzalez from Hollister, CA, bills himself The Apricot King. Unlike Sprinting produce allows you to self-anoint, so to speak, even if that paints a sticky pic.

Imagine what it must have been like when in 1954 the nations top two HS sprinters met at state in both sprints. If Hollywood got hold of it both would have never lost a race in their HS careers, injuries had kept them apart until 1954. Now the big showdown...finally!!!!!!

Well it wasn't really like that but cool anyway :D

James Jackson out of Alameda would actually lead the nation as a HS at 9.4. Now he'd be in with the great Leamon King. Wow!!!!!

Who hasn't pick some sort of fruit growing up around here :D

1 James Jackson USA 9.4
1 Arthur Bragg USA 9.4
3 Lindy Remigino USA 9.5
3 Dean Smith USA 9.5
3 Joe Graffio USA 9.5
3 Carl Cager USA 9.5
7 Fred Lucas USA 9.6
7 Bruce Lenoir USA 9.6
7 Donald Brant USA 9.6
7 Jeffrey Newton USA 9.6

1 Thane Baker USA 9.4
2 Charles Thomas USA 9.5
2 Willie Williams USA 9.5
2 Arthur Bragg USA 9.5
2 Edward Waters USA 9.5
2 Kenneth Kave USA 9.5
7 Leamon King USA 9.6 *******
7 James Moore USA 9.6
7 Paul Wells USA 9.6
7 Frank Daugherty USA 9.6
Dixon

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 am

I'm pretty sure it was Ed Waters who won the 1959 (?) Eastern AAU 100 yds. (9.5 or 9.6), held at Morgan State on a good cinder track. I was the 8th Finalist, only white dude and only westerner (sporting my USC 'singlet'), running ~10 flat.

Looking at that kind of "compression" of times, between WR and "respectable" times like 9.6, one can see how the mentality has to have changed w/ respect to what's "needed" to truly excel.
Same applied to Decathlon, when even I (habitually 12-15th at AAU, only once cracking top-10) could add up PBs to fantasize over Olympics. That was long before the intermediate goal of NCAA placing was there for Decathlon.
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:53 am

Jackaloupe wrote:I'm pretty sure it was Ed Waters who won the 1959 (?) Eastern AAU 100 yds. (9.5 or 9.6), held at Morgan State on a good cinder track. I was the 8th Finalist, only white dude and only westerner (sporting my USC 'singlet'), running ~10 flat.

Looking at that kind of "compression" of times, between WR and "respectable" times like 9.6, one can see how the mentality has to have changed w/ respect to what's "needed" to truly excel.
Same applied to Decathlon, when even I (habitually 12-15th at AAU, only once cracking top-10) could add up PBs to fantasize over Olympics. That was long before the intermediate goal of NCAA placing was there for Decathlon.

So you were at USC around the time of Dick Cortese? So all the way from Cali to Maryland in 1959, cool :D
Dixon

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:17 pm

No, all the way to USC from NJ, where I managed to score 3 Golds in '56 HS Champs at the old Rutgers Stadium where the likes of Milt Campbell and Eulace Peacock performed; Don Bragg set a State Record at "only" 13 ft., so I felt my 11 ft. OK, at least for Group I. The Eastern AAU was in June, so I was back for the summer; we also had the All-Around down in Baltimore (BOC was a real promoter there), where I took 4th while still in HS, getting to throw half the distance of Hal Connelly and Al Hall, who lagged in the runs, hurdles and jumps.

It was great being w/in an hour of NYC, for Indoors and all those Randalls Island All-comers meets. Lotsa friends in the NY Pioneer Club and NYAC who were very encouraging to a NJ teenager who could almost keep up with them; they railed on me for "winning" a 220 Handicap race where the handicapper had no clue as to who I was (NJ Champ in 100, 180LH and PV).
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:No, all the way to USC from NJ, where I managed to score 3 Golds in '56 HS Champs at the old Rutgers Stadium where the likes of Milt Campbell and Eulace Peacock performed; Don Bragg set a State Record at "only" 13 ft., so I felt my 11 ft. OK, at least for Group I. The Eastern AAU was in June, so I was back for the summer; we also had the All-Around down in Baltimore (BOC was a real promoter there), where I took 4th while still in HS, getting to throw half the distance of Hal Connelly and Al Hall, who lagged in the runs, hurdles and jumps.

It was great being w/in an hour of NYC, for Indoors and all those Randalls Island All-comers meets. Lotsa friends in the NY Pioneer Club and NYAC who were very encouraging to a NJ teenager who could almost keep up with them; they railed on me for "winning" a 220 Handicap race where the handicapper had no clue as to who I was (NJ Champ in 100, 180LH and PV).

That's interesting and I can see the passion :D
Dixon

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks, Dixon, For a while I thought you might be my ol' DecaPal, Dixon Farmer, but I now suss more Valley than Orinda, eh? Dix did a fabulous job at NCAAs interviewing each and every Winner and some placers. I even "fed" him the key Info on Clauser's down-to-the wire "Safe" SP toss that won. We kidded about him never resorting to Lewis's tiresome, "How does it feel to win at Historic Hayward Field?", or other clichés. Dix, as a former NCAA 440y Hurdle champ (Philadelphia, 1959?), even commented on the step pattern of the USC winner!
Dix was even a Decathlete, starting in HS coming off State Champ in 440, one of the few to run a respectable 1500m (sub-4:30?), continuint on thru a few of his Oxy years. Of course, he went on to a stellar career as Coach (Midwest and Wash), then to AD at Oxy, and finally heading up the USATF Training Center in SoCal. A true credit to the sport.
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:Thanks, Dixon, For a while I thought you might be my ol' DecaPal, Dixon Farmer, but I now suss more Valley than Orinda, eh? Dix did a fabulous job at NCAAs interviewing each and every Winner and some placers. I even "fed" him the key Info on Clauser's down-to-the wire "Safe" SP toss that won. We kidded about him never resorting to Lewis's tiresome, "How does it feel to win at Historic Hayward Field?", or other clichés. Dix, as a former NCAA 440y Hurdle champ (Philadelphia, 1959?), even commented on the step pattern of the USC winner!
Dix was even a Decathlete, starting in HS coming off State Champ in 440, one of the few to run a respectable 1500m (sub-4:30?), continuint on thru a few of his Oxy years. Of course, he went on to a stellar career as Coach (Midwest and Wash), then to AD at Oxy, and finally heading up the USATF Training Center in SoCal. A true credit to the sport.

I'm up on Farmer, just not to that degree. I live in Portervile.
Good stuff, dig the hell out of that sort of thing :D
Dixon

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks for yer folksy reactions, as I occasionally balk, yet plunge ahead w/ my oft-detailed color here. But whenever it elicits further reminiscences from those who've also been fortunate enough to have competed against, or even just watched up close and personal, so many astounding stars of yesteryear--when T & F had no sponsors (illegal as it was!) and Tracksters went at it for the simple love of this glorious, ancient sport.
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:Thanks for yer folksy reactions, as I occasionally balk, yet plunge ahead w/ my oft-detailed color here. But whenever it elicits further reminiscences from those who've also been fortunate enough to have competed against, or even just watched up close and personal, so many astounding stars of yesteryear--when T & F had no sponsors (illegal as it was!) and Tracksters went at it for the simple love of this glorious, ancient sport.

I hear ya, as I mentioned above I miss the way things were and the sport is no better today than it was. We didn't have all the ducking/dodging going on. Hell..Hines vs Greene..13 times in a two year span. Hayes taking on Carr in the 200m. "Speed City" Texas Southern vs Southern U in the 4x1. Hayes Jones!

Too much drama now.
Dixon