The All Time USA Non Olympic....

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

The All Time USA Non Olympic....

Postby Dixon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm

...Medalist 100m

lane

1.Stanley Floyd...Houston/Auburn
2.Art Bragg..Morgan State
3.Steve Williams...San Diego St/UTEP
4.Ray Norton...SJS
5.Eulace Peacock...Temple
6.Hal Davis...Cal
7.Jim Golliday..NW
8.Howard Drew...USC

"B"

lane

1.Arthur Duffy... Georgtown
2.Bernie Wefers...Boston College
3.Houston McTear ...CMCC/Cerritos
4.Dr. Delano Meriwether
5.George Anderson...Southern U

???
Last edited by Dixon on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dixon

Re: The All Time USA Non Olympic....

Postby dj » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Top seed should be Arthur Duffey (Georgetown)
dj

Postby Dixon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:24 am

dj wrote:Top seed should be Arthur Duffey (Georgetown)

I might as well add Bernie Wefers also then. I usually don't go back before Drew because of the level of competition back then.
Dixon

Postby KDFINE » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:22 am

Dr. Meriwether
KDFINE

Postby Jackaloupe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:28 am

Was just about to post Delano Meriwether (gotta luv the suspenders!), so thought a bit and realized Ray Norton, SJS dropout, never actually medalled: After f(l)ailing in the 100 & 200 heats, the US 4 x 100 team (Norton, Budd, Sime, and Stone Johnson, RIP/Vietnam) crossed the line first but was DQ'ed thanks to the hapless RN being out of the zone--still that tight 20 yds. w/ no "acceleration zone" if memory serves (Please correct if that's wrong. It makes a major diff. giving modernday US relayers even less an excuse for botching passes so often.)
BTW, My own "view", having excellent peripheral vision--partly thanks to Ambliopia/Lazy Eye, main reason I forewent Beisbol, as CurveBalls are tougher to perceive and real FastBalls impossible to judge--is that a little sideways glance, w/o actually turning full around, would not really inhibit outgoing speed that much. It doesn't take much to perceive a large body coming on, but that's become such a no-no that it's blasphemous to suggest it.
Last edited by Jackaloupe on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:37 am

Two of the more interesting sprint stories above, Meriwether and Norton. I'll add them.
Dixon

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:13 am

McTear did qualify for an Olympic team.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby Dixon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:58 am

Bruce Kritzler wrote:McTear did qualify for an Olympic team.

I know, it's about non medals.
Dixon

Postby KDFINE » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Jackaloupe. You wrote Stone Johnson RIP Viet Nam. He actually died from a broken neck suffered in a pro football pre-season game. I believe he played for Houston. He was on the receiving team on a kick-off and suffered the injury while throwing a block.
When I offered the name Dr. Meriwether I goofed since I neglected to see that he was "listed" for the second heat in the original post.
Do we consider Paul Winder? He tied Sime for 3rd in the 1960 Trials but Sime got to race, and Winder didn't even get to run in the relay.
My overall thoughts though are that "you/we" are seeking too many names. I've sometimes thought of my all time best of only three per event (since that is the number that get to compete in any given Olympics, at least in my lifetime) never to make an Olympic Team, and given those parameters, not including any of the guys from the 1980 boycott.
KDFINE

Postby Dixon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:26 pm

KDFINE wrote:Jackaloupe. You wrote Stone Johnson RIP Viet Nam. He actually died from a broken neck suffered in a pro football pre-season game. I believe he played for Houston. He was on the receiving team on a kick-off and suffered the injury while throwing a block.
When I offered the name Dr. Meriwether I goofed since I neglected to see that he was "listed" for the second heat in the original post.
Do we consider Paul Winder? He tied Sime for 3rd in the 1960 Trials but Sime got to race, and Winder didn't even get to run in the relay.
My overall thoughts though are that "you/we" are seeking too many names. I've sometimes thought of my all time best of only three per event (since that is the number that get to compete in any given Olympics, at least in my lifetime) never to make an Olympic Team, and given those parameters, not including any of the guys from the 1980 boycott.

Stone Johnson was on the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs to be).

I added Meriwether thanks to you. I thought you were aware he wasn't there....my bad 8-)

Winder another Morgan Stater, hmmm....nay!

Too many....hmmm?
Dixon

Postby bambam » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Dixon wrote:Stone Johnson was on the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs to be).

I think it was the KC Chiefs - Johnson died September 1963 after being injured 10 days earlier, as described. Dallas Texans only existed 1960-62 and changed to the KC Chiefs for the 1963 season.
bambam

Postby Dixon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:52 pm

bambam wrote:
Dixon wrote:Stone Johnson was on the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs to be).

I think it was the KC Chiefs - Johnson died September 1963 after being injured 10 days earlier, as described. Dallas Texans only existed 1960-62 and changed to the KC Chiefs for the 1963 season.

Ok, I was thinking this happened in 62. If Johnson played he would have been the fastest NFLer ever up until 1964 :D

Both Budd and Norton busts.

Thanx :D
Dixon

Postby bambam » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:16 am

Dixon wrote:If Johnson played he would have been the fastest NFLer ever up until 1964 :D

But Norton did play 2 years with the 49ers - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rtRa00.htm

I think that would make him the fastest NFLer up until Hayes
bambam

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:41 am

bambam wrote:
Dixon wrote:If Johnson played he would have been the fastest NFLer ever up until 1964 :D

But Norton did play 2 years with the 49ers - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rtRa00.htm

I think that would make him the fastest NFLer up until Hayes

It's similiar to saying Jimmy Hines was the fastest NFLer ever, the guy caught one pass and Norton didn't catch any. I can't play that. That's why I mentioned Norton, I gotta go with somebody who actually played, did something. Norton like Hines was more a failed experiment. I need a real footballer here, sure if you just have to..."well he did play",,,that's you, I can't play that. That's why I don't use Budd either and totally ignore Jimmy Hines in any talk of fastest NFLers. Tommie Smith...1...catch :roll:

If I used this trivia question...what NFL running back ran a 9.2, you wouldn't like the answer.

Johnson did run a 9.3 which was also Nortons PR.
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dixon

Postby KDFINE » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:46 am

We're getting way off topic. Budd, Norton, Johnson - all Olympians.
Dixon. Thanks for clarifying about Meriwether being added later because of my suggestion. When I saw him added to the list I thought that I didn't carefully read the original post or that I was losing it. Time to take a fish oil pill (do they really work?).
KDFINE

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:52 am

KDFINE wrote:We're getting way off topic. Budd, Norton, Johnson - all Olympians.
Dixon. Thanks for clarifying about Meriwether being added later because of my suggestion. When I saw him added to the list I thought that I didn't carefully read the original post or that I was losing it. Time to take a fish oil pill (do they really work?).

I do like to see a guy like Stone Johnson mentioned being a big fan of the HBCU. But I see your point.

I see how you could have missed the Meriwether deal, no fish oil pills needed, if they work or not :D
Dixon

Postby AFTERBURNER » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:02 am

Yes Tommie Smith did had one reception in an NFL game in 1969 against the Oakland Raiders. He got nailed by George Atkinson!

Raiders won the game 37-17
AFTERBURNER

Postby Jackaloupe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:09 am

We're getting way off topic. Budd, Norton, Johnson - all Olympians.

Not at all, KD: The original topic was "The All Time USA Non Olympic....
....Medalists", however unfortunate the original format, w/ "Medalists" appearing below in the body of the text.

It was the interesting NFL connection that was "off topic", but so what...

As for your (KD's) "When I offered the name Dr. Meriwether I goofed since I neglected to see that he was "listed" for the second heat in the original post.", again, not at all, as that was an "Edit" added by Dixon (2 Listed, but they're never tagged as Edits unless you say so, as I often do when corrected.)BTW, Thanks for the Stone Johnson (Grambling, right?) Info. I saw him qualify in LA in the 220m, and he did serve in Vietnam, didn't he? A coupla years later his name appeared on some Stanford Frat Dude's BR wall amongst a list of other way cool Sports Names, e.g. Bid Daddy Lipscomb, Wilt the Stilt, et al. [I know those are nicknames, but Stone stuck out amongst the given ones.]
Jackaloupe

Postby Dixon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:06 am

I'm never one for..stay on topic :D And since football is my number one sport with track being number two I'm pretty up on track/footballers, hobby would work :D

It's always....Bob Hayes changed the way the game was played, nobody could run with him, so here came the zone defense or...once he gets by you I'll pick him up....haha~~~~ But there was another sprint champ who came before Hayes, yep nother receiver who nobody could run with either.....who? No not talking Hutson.
Dixon

Postby Per Andersen » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:35 pm

KDFINE is right. You are casting too wide a net. There are tons of sprinters to name. Some:
John Carlos
Andy Stanfield
Charlie Tidwell
Harvey Glance
Willie Williams
Ira Murchison
Leamon King (went to your high school)
Willie White
Columbia Ben Johnson
Darell Newman
George Anderson
I mean, where do you draw the line? Rod Richard? Roscoe Cook?
Per Andersen

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:14 am

Per Andersen wrote:KDFINE is right. You are casting too wide a net. There are tons of sprinters to name. Some:
John Carlos
Andy Stanfield
Charlie Tidwell
Harvey Glance
Willie Williams
Ira Murchison
Leamon King (went to your high school)
Willie White
Columbia Ben Johnson
Darell Newman
George Anderson
I mean, where do you draw the line? Rod Richard? Roscoe Cook?

Carlos, Stanfield, Glance, Murchison, King (he went to Delano, not I) were all Olympic medalists.

Willie White..hmm?

Ben Johnson
Darel Newman
George Anderson
Charles Tidwell

Could all fit in "B".

George Anderson for sure since he was number ranked one in 1965. I'll add him :D
Dixon

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:37 pm

You clearly specified the 100 so I included Carlos-Stanfield etc as non-medalists.
Per Andersen

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Per Andersen wrote:You clearly specified the 100 so I included Carlos-Stanfield etc as non-medalists.

You're right, I was thinking...never won a medal..period..but failed to make that clear... :roll:
Dixon

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Stanley Floyd and Art Bragg over Charlie Tidwell? Far from sure there. Tidwell tied the 100 WR, 10.1 in early June and was favoured in the FOT along with Norton. But pulled up injured in the final. Would have loved to see him against Hary in Rome.
Per Andersen

Postby Dixon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:32 pm

Per Andersen wrote:Stanley Floyd and Art Bragg over Charlie Tidwell? Far from sure there. Tidwell tied the 100 WR, 10.1 in early June and was favoured in the FOT along with Norton. But pulled up injured in the final. Would have loved to see him against Hary in Rome.

Charles Tidwell, probably the most obscure "great" sprinter.

But....

Stanley Floyd was the top ranked sprinter in the world in 1980 despite the fact.....no Olympics.

Art Bragg was world ranked many times and twice...number two...in the world. He won the 52 Olympic trials. Like Tidwell an injury did him in.

I don't think Tidwell was ever world ranked. Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on Tidwell.

Jim Golliday another similiar story.

So...Frank Budd...Charles Tidwell..Ray Norton..Dave Sime
Dixon