Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby batonless relay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 am

run4urlyfe wrote:
user4 wrote:
run4urlyfe wrote:Great runner this guy but uhmmmm if the pictures on google weren't labeled I wouldn't guess in a million years who he was. If they had his old pics on Americas most wanted he would be safe from capture is his new "disguise".


thank goodness I dont have you to tell me I dont look like the stunningly muscular and handsome guy I was in 1976.



Lol you prob aren't but you should look like an older version of yourself not an older completely different version.

He looks exactly like himself. The only person who doesn't think that is you, and that's because you would like to advance this "race" issue. If people who know the guy can't see the "difference" you're talking about, then why don't you just submit to their more considered opinions?
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby user4 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:52 am

batonless relay wrote:
run4urlyfe wrote:
user4 wrote:
run4urlyfe wrote:Great runner this guy but uhmmmm if the pictures on google weren't labeled I wouldn't guess in a million years who he was. If they had his old pics on Americas most wanted he would be safe from capture is his new "disguise".


thank goodness I dont have you to tell me I dont look like the stunningly muscular and handsome guy I was in 1976.



Lol you prob aren't but you should look like an older version of yourself not an older completely different version.

He looks exactly like himself. The only person who doesn't think that is you, and that's because you would like to advance this "race" issue. If people who know the guy can't see the "difference" you're talking about, then why don't you just submit to their more considered opinions?


The batonman is spot on. I have scoured every internet picture on the web of every stage of Juantorena's life. The only difference is the "fro" but considering how fashionable the fro was for youth in the 70s is that so much of a problem? How many 20something people that styled an afro in the 70s wear it today in their elder years?.. How many NBA stars of the 70s are now wearing afros ?... There were enough red and blonde and brown headed afros in the 70s to make a Hair play in every high school in the country. Tell me who today in their mid-60s in retirement wears an afro ? The bizarre vodoo people can lay down on these issues is some weird stuff. The man, the legend, looks exactly as one would expect him to look today.... Unlike Sammy Sosa, big, big difference.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby run4urlyfe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:04 am

batonless relay wrote:
run4urlyfe wrote:
user4 wrote:
run4urlyfe wrote:Great runner this guy but uhmmmm if the pictures on google weren't labeled I wouldn't guess in a million years who he was. If they had his old pics on Americas most wanted he would be safe from capture is his new "disguise".


thank goodness I dont have you to tell me I dont look like the stunningly muscular and handsome guy I was in 1976.



Lol you prob aren't but you should look like an older version of yourself not an older completely different version.

He looks exactly like himself. The only person who doesn't think that is you, and that's because you would like to advance this "race" issue. If people who know the guy can't see the "difference" you're talking about, then why don't you just submit to their more considered opinions?


To be honest when I saw the thread title I hadn't even seen a pic of Alberto juantorena in his current form until I googled to see what all the fuss was about. I figured there must have been something to what the op was saying because I kept looking and looking and wondering if they were including pics of a different Alberto with the pics of the track athlete. I looked hard and I saw similarities in the dental structure but almost everything to me just looked different. I have seen people change hair colors hair styles etc but their face has that same energy. I feel he aged extremely well but just in an unexpected way. I cant speak for the origins of the post but this is a personal observation where I am not trying to make a bigger point. :roll:
run4urlyfe
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby batonless relay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:22 am

run4urlyfe wrote:To be honest when I saw the thread title I hadn't even seen a pic of Alberto juantorena in his current form until I googled to see what all the fuss was about. I figured there must have been something to what the op was saying because I kept looking and looking and wondering if they were including pics of a different Alberto with the pics of the track athlete. I looked hard and I saw similarities in the dental structure but almost everything to me just looked different. I have seen people change hair colors hair styles etc but their face has that same energy. I feel he aged extremely well but just in an unexpected way. I cant speak for the origins of the post but this is a personal observation where I am not trying to make a bigger point. :roll:

As a poster who has been fortunate enough to live through more than one "iteration" I find that hard to believe that the first time you saw a pic of Alberto was when you saw the "OP's" thread title - especially when "run4urlyfe" only opened the account yesterday. :roll: For the record, I don't care about the when's and where's of your or the "OP's" origin, I'm just saying that you can damn near "crowd source" anything on this board and when you, in any of your "iterations", come up on people who KNOW about these things just concede that they're right and drop it. "gh" says he's known the man for nearly 30 years...don't try to explain your point, don't try to "what I meant to say was...", just let it go. You'll earn more points as a serious poster if you can recognize when you or your iterations are outgunned.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby jhc68 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 pm

On this I am all in with batonless.
I was there to see Juantorena run both races in Montreal, I saw the recent photos, and in my mind there is no controversy.
I spent the first half of my life with long hair and in the sun constantly with the resulting dark complexion... I have aged and so have my cohorts. and so has Juantorena. We don't look the same as we did 40 years ago but that does not make people unrecognizable and is no reason for confusion.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby Blues » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:34 pm

If the Havana Times article below is accurate, in one comment Juantorena refers to himself as a "jabado", which according to the article means a mixture of black and white, although I don't know why anybody who isn't related to him would care.

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=72045

Below is a small photo of him in early 1973 (three and a half years before Montreal) looking a little less like the "soul brotha" that fasttrack85 claims he looked like in the "60's".

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xt/813719 ... %7C929&s=1
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby user4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

Blues wrote:If the Havana Times article below is accurate, in one comment Juantorena refers to himself as a "jabado", which according to the article means a mixture of black and white, although I don't know why anybody who isn't related to him would care.

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=72045

Below is a small photo of him in early 1973 (three and a half years before Montreal) looking a little less like the "soul brotha" that fasttrack85 claims he looked like in the "60's".

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xt/813719 ... %7C929&s=1


a nice video compilation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KO9zjHvs6s
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby lonewolf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:07 pm

If I did not see myself in the mirror every morning, I would not recognize myself now in contemporary pictures. :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby jhc68 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:49 pm

The video link is great. It also demonstrates clearly that Juantorena doesn't look any different than one might reasonably expect at his current age... the only confusing part here is why fasttrack had such a wigged out memory of what El Caballo looked like thirty plus years ago.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby user4 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:13 am

jhc68 wrote:The video link is great. It also demonstrates clearly that Juantorena doesn't look any different than one might reasonably expect at his current age... the only confusing part here is why fasttrack had such a wigged out memory of what El Caballo looked like thirty plus years ago.


I think in fasttracks space-time world of complete consciousness, there are endless kinks, curls and shiny curved surfaces that defy natural cause ... consider the twilight zone of Lew Alcindor.

why did he change his name to Kareem Abdul Jabbar ?

Need more evidence... then just ask yourself what everyone obviously is asking themselves ... why does he look remarkably like a righteous soul brother here...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B65_I2eCVOw/T ... Kareem.jpg

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/I ... 1d_lg.jpeg

and then fast forward a mere 40 years , a blink of an eye in the fast track of raceology, ... and he looks like an uber wealthy arab sheik...

http://media.npr.org/programs/atc/featu ... s6-c30.jpg

Just a coincidence ?
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby tandfman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:07 pm

user4 wrote:and then fast forward a mere 40 years , a blink of an eye in the fast track of raceology, ... and he looks like an uber wealthy arab sheik...

http://media.npr.org/programs/atc/featu ... s6-c30.jpg

He had the hairless look when he was still playing pro basketball.

http://www.nba.com/media/video/jabbar_200_070423.jpg


I'd say if that picture reminds me of anything, it's not an uber wealthy arab sheik--it's Edwin Moses.

http://www.biography.com/imported/image ... -1-402.jpg
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Alberto Juantorena unrecognizable?

Postby mrbowie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Maybe it would help if he were wearing blinkers.
mrbowie
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests