Commonwealth Games...

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Commonwealth Games...

Postby AFTERBURNER » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Have they past their usefullness?
AFTERBURNER

Re: Commonwealth Games...

Postby mump boy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:12 pm

They've never been very useful and of you look at past champs they were always a bit shit bit the last 2 especially so, mainly because they were held in March and Oct in far flung places

Next year is in the middle of the season and in central europe, i expect a much better turn out than usual
mump boy

Postby tandfman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:11 pm

mump boy wrote:Next year is in the middle of the season and in central europe

Glasgow is in Central Europe? That's news to me.
tandfman

Postby Jamiesonrc » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:39 pm

mump boy wrote:They've never been very useful and of you look at past champs they were always a bit shit bit the last 2 especially so, mainly because they were held in March and Oct in far flung places

Next year is in the middle of the season and in central europe, i expect a much better turn out than usual

God forbid that we actually have some major international athletics events somewhere other than the USA/Europe for a change and how inconsiderate that "us fans" and "our athletes" might just have to travel to some far flung places where they don't speak English/German/French/Spanish and eat Shepherds Pie or Sauerkraut and mushy peas. Of course athletes shouldn't have to compete where they might actually need a passport to get there :wink:.

Mump Boy - I guess you don't watch movies with sub-titles either....
Jamiesonrc

Postby mump boy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:21 am

Jamiesonrc wrote:
mump boy wrote:They've never been very useful and of you look at past champs they were always a bit shit bit the last 2 especially so, mainly because they were held in March and Oct in far flung places

God forbid that we actually have some major international athletics events somewhere other than the USA/Europe for a change and how inconsiderate that "us fans" and "our athletes" might just have to travel to some far flung places where they don't speak English/German/French/Spanish and eat Shepherds Pie or Sauerkraut and mushy peas. Of course athletes shouldn't have to compete where they might actually need a passport to get there :wink:.

Mump Boy - I guess you don't watch movies with sub-titles either....

I'm all for having track meets all over the world but if you hold them in March or Oct you can't you can understand why a lot of athletes may decide not to take part. (Actually you could understand if they were mid season as well)

Why would that be a controversial statement ?
mump boy

Postby John G » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:09 am

mump boy wrote:They've never been very useful and of you look at past champs they were always a bit shit

I think they're no longer meaningful because the top Jamaicans, Trinidadians and Kenyans aren't interested in competing.

I'd disagree that they were always "a bit shit". In the 70s many men's track events saw races and performances worthy of a global champs. The Christchurch 800 / 1500 / 5000 were all arguably better than the 72 Olympic finals. Held in January I think.
John G

Postby Powell » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 am

John G wrote:I'd disagree that they were always "a bit shit". In the 70s many men's track events saw races and performances worthy of a global champs.

Yes, but that was a small subset of all the T&F events. Even at their peak, a lot of the events at the CG were not really of the highest international standard.
Powell

Postby mump boy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:13 am

Powell wrote:
John G wrote:I'd disagree that they were always "a bit shit". In the 70s many men's track events saw races and performances worthy of a global champs.

Yes, but that was a small subset of all the T&F events. Even at their peak, a lot of the events at the CG were not really of the highest international standard.

Exactly

and even when the results have been good the depth is often shocking
mump boy

Postby aaronk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:50 am

WHAT common wealth??

I thought the whole bloody world is bankrupt!!! :P
aaronk

Postby James Fields » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 pm

That meet's original name: (British) Empire Games.

1954 edition at Vancouver, BC had the first meeting of sub four-minute milers, Roger Bannister vs. John Landy. I was a spectator there and still remember the excitement.
James Fields

Postby kuha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:47 pm

The CG were a perfectly valid and significant championship meet thru the 1980s. There were, in fact, some truly great performances/competitions in that period. However, the last 20 years or so don't seemed to have mattered much at all.
kuha

Postby Jamiesonrc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:52 pm

My response to Mump Boy was an attempt to ridicule his generalisations.
* never been very useful - tell that to Filbert Bayi who ran a WR 1500m in 1974 ahead of John Walker. The experience might have been invaluable for Walker two years later in 1976.
* always a bit shit - really?
* far flung places ........Sally Pearson and Val Adams regularly compete in "far flung" places for a large part of their season. Surely Track and Field should recognise it is a global sport and attempt to be one. And I do recognise that the majority of sponsorship and money and fans will be in Europe.
*The Commonwealth Games might be changing and the top Jamaicans, Kenyans etc may not wish to compete. However the Games are more than just Track and Field. Not everyone can compete at the Olympics or World Championships.
*As to depth......perhaps we should be a little more realistic about the impact drugs have had in our sport......
Jamiesonrc

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:24 pm

kuha wrote:The CG were a perfectly valid and significant championship meet thru the 1980s. There were, in fact, some truly great performances/competitions in that period. However, the last 20 years or so don't seemed to have mattered much at all.

That is because the dollar rules today. The athletes that attract the crowds and create credibility with the public save themselves for money meets. Can't see Bolt, Blake, SAFP, the top Kenyans putting at risk their pay cheques for a Commonwealth Games medal. Val Adams will go because even though she is 2012's best female athlete there's not a lot of money to be made being a shot putter.
Tuariki