Just stumbled across....


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Just stumbled across....

Postby Dixon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:11 am

Dixon
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby lonewolf » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:29 am

A disappearing breed, a sportswriter with interest and knowledge of track and field.
Thanks.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby jhc68 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 am

Fun stuff, this must have been 1961... the columnist was entertaining but not very astute in his picks. He would have made a great poster here, as off base as the rest of us !
In hindsight it is tough to pick against Ulis Williams as a HS senior. Apparently he didn't get dizzy running two turns.
Just 3 years later Morgan Groth had developed into an OTrials 800 winner but despite his greater footspeed he got dusted by Bruce Bess at the HS state meet.
Neither Hoyt nor Crum won the HJ as two-time winner Richard Jones (61-62) beat both of them.
And Centenial and Compton (right next door to one another) both handled the Nor Cal relay teams.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby Dixon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:44 pm

lonewolf wrote:A disappearing breed, a sportswriter with interest and knowledge of track and field.
Thanks.


:D
Dixon
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby Dixon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:50 pm

jhc68 wrote:Fun stuff, this must have been 1961... the columnist was entertaining but not very astute in his picks. He would have made a great poster here, as off base as the rest of us !
In hindsight it is tough to pick against Ulis Williams as a HS senior. Apparently he didn't get dizzy running two turns.
Just 3 years later Morgan Groth had developed into an OTrials 800 winner but despite his greater footspeed he got dusted by Bruce Bess at the HS state meet.
Neither Hoyt nor Crum won the HJ as two-time winner Richard Jones (61-62) beat both of them.
And Centenial and Compton (right next door to one another) both handled the Nor Cal relay teams.


Ulis Wiliams ran on those great 4x4 teams with Henry Carr at ASU.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby halharkness » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:14 am

Definitely 1961, great State Championship Meet at East Los Angeles Community College. I was in attendance as a coach at L.A. Franklin High School while doing my Student Teaching from near by Occidental College.

We had two athletes in the meet, John Duda (180 lows) and Earl Cliborn (mile).
halharkness
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby hanklaw » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 pm



Wow, you guys can track down anything. I originally posted this on my daughters website because someone asked about the 61 State preview articles and I thought this would be a good "temporary" place to post it (I like to post just results on my LynbrookSports site) and then I forgot to take it down. But, since there seems to be interest, I'll leave it be. Just one of many from the Plato Yanicks archives.

hank
hanklaw
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:33 pm

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby lovetorun » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:41 pm

halharkness wrote:Definitely 1961, great State Championship Meet at East Los Angeles Community College. I was in attendance as a coach at L.A. Franklin High School while doing my Student Teaching from near by Occidental College.

We had two athletes in the meet, John Duda (180 lows) and Earl Cliborn (mile).


Hal...just curious...how did your two guys do?

1961 was the year in the fall that I had a dual with Dennis Carr in cross country..back then we ran that silly 1.8 miles distance. Carr followed me all the way and easily outkicked me 8:54 to 8:58.
lovetorun
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby halharkness » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 am

Neither did as well as I thought I remembered. Many of the races were run as two sections and times combined for place and scoring, Earl did well in the slower heat, but didn't make the top five times listed in Bill Peck's State Meet History. He did go on to UCLA and place in the 1965 NCAA Steeplechase Final.

John didn't make the 180 hurdles finals.
halharkness
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Just stumbled across....

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm

hanklaw wrote:


Wow, you guys can track down anything. I originally posted this on my daughters website because someone asked about the 61 State preview articles and I thought this would be a good "temporary" place to post it (I like to post just results on my LynbrookSports site) and then I forgot to take it down. But, since there seems to be interest, I'll leave it be. Just one of many from the Plato Yanicks archives.

hank


Just wanted to thank Hank for the work he does posting old,old results. I have really enjoyed reading them, thanx Hank!
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests