World record longevity....


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

World record longevity....

Postby AFTERBURNER » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:58 am

What will be the last of the 1980s world records to go?

On the men's side, i'll go with Yuriy Sedykh 86m74 in the hammer

And on the ladies side, i'll go with Florence Griffith-Joyner 10.49 in the 100m.
Although that mark should have never been ratified by the I.A.A.F. IMHO!
AFTERBURNER
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: World record longevity....

Postby Rob » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:45 am

Marita Koch's 400m (47.60).
Rob
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Munich

Re: World record longevity....

Postby mrbowie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Definitely women's 400. I can see the 10.49 going, but no way ever the 400. That record should have been expunged a long time ago.
mrbowie
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: World record longevity....

Postby trackinblack2 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:55 am

Hey: How about Jarmila Krachtovillova's 30 year old record in the 800 Meters?
Set in 1983 the same year Ben Johnson ran 9.83 in the 100 meters to break King Carl
Lewis's back. Both of those records should have been expunged in my opinion.
trackinblack2
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: World record longevity....

Postby dj » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:55 am

trackinblack2 wrote:Hey: How about Jarmila Krachtovillova's 30 year old record in the 800 Meters?
Set in 1983 the same year Ben Johnson ran 9.83 in the 100 meters to break King Carl
Lewis's back. Both of those records should have been expunged in my opinion.


The 9.83 was expunged.
dj
 
Posts: 6200
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: World record longevity....

Postby user4 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:45 pm

AFTERBURNER wrote:What will be the last of the 1980s world records to go?

On the men's side, i'll go with Yuriy Sedykh 86m74 in the hammer

And on the ladies side, i'll go with Florence Griffith-Joyner 10.49 in the 100m.
Although that mark should have never been ratified by the I.A.A.F. IMHO!


"Although that mark should have never been ratified by the I.A.A.F. IMHO!"

Totally agree with that.. do you even need an IMHO there.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: World record longevity....

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:32 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the current men's world records still standing in 10 years. Though I wouldn't be completely shocked to see both the pv and HJ fall within a year.
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: World record longevity....

Postby Powell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:54 am

Dave wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the current men's world records still standing in 10 years.


I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Some of the records in running event (and racewalking) seem ripe for picking, or at least possible to break.
But as for the field events... the newest record is Zelezny's 98.48 from 1996, and none of the 8 marks has been under much threat lately.
Powell
 
Posts: 9065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Vanuatu

Re: World record longevity....

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:50 am

Powell wrote:
Dave wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the current men's world records still standing in 10 years.


I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Some of the records in running event (and racewalking) seem ripe for picking, or at least possible to break.
But as for the field events... the newest record is Zelezny's 98.48 from 1996, and none of the 8 marks has been under much threat lately.


My fingers and brain weren't entirely connected when I wrote that. I really did mean to apply this to the field events only.

The sprint records are always at risk as are the hurdle and multis. Not sure about anything beyond 800.
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: World record longevity....

Postby Powell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:55 am

Dave wrote:The sprint records are always at risk as are the hurdle and multis. Not sure about anything beyond 800.

The marathon record is certainly vulnerable. The 5 and 10k are not torally out of the question if Mo Farah decides to have a go at them.
Powell
 
Posts: 9065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Vanuatu

Re: World record longevity....

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:11 am

Powell wrote:
Dave wrote:The sprint records are always at risk as are the hurdle and multis. Not sure about anything beyond 800.

The marathon record is certainly vulnerable. The 5 and 10k are not torally out of the question if Mo Farah decides to have a go at them.



Bondarenko is a comer in the HJ, and Lavellenie has the whatever to pop a big PV anytime.
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: World record longevity....

Postby Powell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:14 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Bondarenko is a comer in the HJ, and Lavellenie has the whatever to pop a big PV anytime.


Not impossible, but to me both are still long shots. Especially Lavillenie, who's been around for a while and, while he's capable of clearing 6m fairly consistently, is still a long way off 6.16. With Bondarenko it's harder to say, since he only just made it to the top this year, he could still have some upside.
Powell
 
Posts: 9065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Vanuatu

Re: World record longevity....

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:59 am

Powell wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:Bondarenko is a comer in the HJ, and Lavellenie has the whatever to pop a big PV anytime.


Not impossible, but to me both are still long shots. Especially Lavillenie, who's been around for a while and, while he's capable of clearing 6m fairly consistently, is still a long way off 6.16. With Bondarenko it's harder to say, since he only just made it to the top this year, he could still have some upside.


6.0 is a ways off of 6.16, but Lavillenie looked really comfortable over 5.95 at Pre.
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: World record longevity....

Postby lapsus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:46 am

Can I say 104.80m? Oh ok then.

On the men's side, there is just discus and hammer I think. I would guess that the discus will fall first, an Alekna or a Kanter could have already broken it in a hurricane. But HT is not quite impossible either.

Women's side? Well, if records that will never be broken don't count - I would say the 800m. It is actually, you know, breakable - but not soon. So I will go with that (my other "breakable" options would have been the 100m hurdles and high jump).
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World record longevity....

Postby johnclark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 am

trackinblack2 wrote:Hey: How about Jarmila Krachtovillova's 30 year old record in the 800 Meters?
Set in 1983 the same year Ben Johnson ran 9.83 in the 100 meters to break King Carl
Lewis's back. Both of those records should have been expunged in my opinion.


Johnson's 9.83 was in 1987 in Rome.
johnclark
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:46 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests