Your favorite Olympic stadium

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Your favorite Olympic stadium

Postby AFTERBURNER » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 am

Mine is "Estadio Olimpico Universitario" in Mecixo City.

And yours?
AFTERBURNER

Re: Your favorite Olympic stadium

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Stadio Olympico Rome 1960
dukehjsteve

Postby kuha » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Stockholm
kuha

Postby dj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 pm

kuha wrote:Stockholm

Agree. Followed by Berlin*, Rome*, LA (among those I've seen).

* Before the canopies were added.
dj

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Before the canopies were added.

Montreal was OK, but the construction crane and partially completed dome were weird. So were some aspects of the Closing Ceremonies: Just as the French-accented Announcer was intoning, "Ladees and Jentlemen, three hundred jung Girrlls (would form Olympic Rings)" an actual Streaker whipped around and thru said Rrings! Security had the sense not to plunge into the riff, but had a blanket waiting as he emerged--unscathed by all those Girrlss...

Atlanta was traditional US Sports Complex, w/ Beisbol right next door. They sure didn't get the Temp/Humidity, at least at the Trials (a nice touch to give US Athletes an advantage), when spectators were wilting for lack of water, what with Coca-Cola pushing you-know-what while prohibiting H20 (It was pre-Arjani bottled water days). Mid-trials they were obliged to provided water stations. BTW, Eugene has its own solution (as they're obliged to prohibit actual liquid in the containers you are allowed to bring in, out of concern over alcohol, as mandated by NCAA for one): Water-dispensing racks of multiple spouts, allowing a good dozen fills at a time.
Jackaloupe

Postby tandfman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 am

Jackaloupe wrote:Atlanta was traditional US Sports Complex, w/ Beisbol right next door.

The Atlanta Olympic Stadium is now Turner Field, a baseball stadium. It's the same basic stadium, downsized and re-constructed for baseball. I don't recall there being baseball right next door during the Olympic Games. (But I must say that if there had been a baseball field on the other side of where I entered the stadium and sat, I might not have seen it.)
tandfman

Postby lonewolf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 pm

The Atlanta stadium was constructed to be a baseball field.. even had the recess for home plate in the SW corner.. temp stands in the outfield.
Competition facilites were adequate .. stadium aesthecally blah..
lonewolf

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:49 pm

tandfman wrote:...I don't recall there being baseball right next door during the Olympic Games. (But I must say that if there had been a baseball field on the other side of where I entered the stadium and sat, I might not have seen it.)

It's where they played the Olympic baseball; just to the left of the torch (maybe 300m max between them?). During the Games I was able to step out of the announce booth, stand in the stairwell and wave to my girlfriend standing on the upper concourse at a b-ball game.
gh

Postby gh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:09 am

two favorite stadia both in Greece.

The original in Ancient Olympia absolutely sends shivers up and down your spine. Of course, I'm cheating a bit in that I had the advantage of being one of the few people there at sunrise for the shot competitions in '04 and watching the sun come up over the ruins from which the athletes exited while coming out to throw was a stunner beyond belief.

The original Marble Stadium in downtown Athens is also as awesome as they come.

I'm guessing that Berlin in its full Nazi splendor must have been something. It was still a tingly enough place when I was first there in '86.
gh

Postby bambam » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 pm

gh wrote:The original in Ancient Olympia absolutely sends shivers up and down your spine. Of course, I'm cheating a bit in that I had the advantage of being one of the few people there at sunrise for the shot competitions in '04 and watching the sun come up over the ruins from which the athletes exited while coming out to throw was a stunner beyond belief.

The original Marble Stadium in downtown Athens is also as awesome as they come.

Agree on both. But although it is not an "Olympic" stadium, the ancient stadium at Delphi (where they held the Pythian Games) in Greece is something special. I was told before going there that Delphi was magical and that was correct. It was almost eerie, seeing it, even more so than Ancient Olympia.

But I did feel at Ancient Olympia, although not a big believer in reincarnation, that I had been there before - sort of like Patton in the movie. I was there before - somehow it just felt that way.
bambam

Postby gh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 pm

I had that feeling the first time I was in Berlin. (uh-oh)
gh

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 pm

I agree with gh that Berlin is the most majestic and Olympian of "modern" stadiums.
lonewolf

Postby CookyMonzta » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:14 pm

Stockholm 1912. Magnificent architecture. Perfect for the purpose for which it was built, and still worthy of today's track and field. Smart it was for them to use all bleachers instead of taking any chances on seats that were either too wide or too narrow.

What was its seating capacity in 1912, and what is it today?
CookyMonzta

Postby kuha » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:39 am

CookyMonzta wrote:Stockholm 1912. Magnificent architecture. Perfect for the purpose for which it was built, and still worthy of today's track and field. Smart it was for them to use all bleachers instead of taking any chances on seats that were either too wide or too narrow.

What was its seating capacity in 1912, and what is it today?

In my mind, Stockholm wins in this category easily, and for multiple reasons. It has been very little messed with or "improved" over the years, and yet is still a living, active facility. Thus, we have a genuine historical landmark that is still a centerpiece in the life of a great city. The only other Olympic stadium that I can think of that we can also say this of is the MCG in Melbourne (which began as a cricket/football grounds and has lived on as such). I love Stockholm's relative simplicity of design and--MOST important of all--its absolutely wonderful intimacy. In just about any seat you are close to the track--for me, at least, a vastly different and more satisfying experience than that provided by any 80 or 100,000 seat stadium. But I will admit to an extreme prejudice for medium-size track venues over the giant bowls needed for all "modern" Olympic games.
kuha

Postby Rob » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:44 am

Berlin and Munich.
Rob

Postby BillVol » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:12 pm

AFTERBURNER wrote:Mine is "Estadio Olimpico Universitario" in Mecixo City.

And yours?

Mexico was one of the smaller Olympic Stadiums, wasn't it? Although this site says it holds 72K+.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/mexico/central_mexico/mexico_city_olimpico.shtml

This one says around 63K.

http://www.stadiumguide.com/olimpicouniversitario/
BillVol

Postby AFTERBURNER » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:38 pm

It had a larger capacity for the 68 games, now it's been downsized to about 63k
AFTERBURNER

Postby batonless relay » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:34 am

2008 Bird's Nest in Beijing. Here's why.

In the lead up to the 2008 Olympics I followed the designs of what the Olympics stadium might look like - before the final design was chosen. Here is a link to all of the final design proposals and #12 was my favorite http://www.globalconstructionwatch.com/ ... proposals/ . The idea that the Chinese were going to build something that had a "floating" roof just blew my mind and I wondered how it was possible to build something like that. Apparently, so did the Chinese. Anyway, they never chose #12, obviously, and I HATED the design that they chose; the design that would become the Bird's Nest. Until I actually saw it with my own eyes.

Fast Forward to 2008 and I've seen the Birds Nest on TV hundreds of times and in print but I still hate it because it wasn't my choice and I just didn't get it. So we land in Beijing and on our way to the hotel we pass the Birds Nest and instantly my feelings changed. Do you know how impressive something has to be to move from hate to love at first "actual" sight? I was blown away. Pictures and video don't do it justice. One of the most impressive structures I've ever seen.

I still wonder how impressive it would have been to have a stadium with a floating roof but the Birds Nest definitely won me over.
batonless relay

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:07 am

Last I heard, that Bird's Nest was losing a few twigs here and there.

Are they implementing any repairs by now, or are they just letting that bowl rust and fall apart?
CookyMonzta

Postby tandfman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:11 pm

I believe they've used the stadium as a tourist attraction in recent years, so they must be maintaining its good appearance, at the very least.

In any event, they're hosting the World Championships there in 2015; I'm sure it will be in very good shape by then, if it isn't now.
tandfman

Postby gh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:48 am

Bird's Nest truly is an imposing edifice in person, although my biggest memory is probably working the test event in May of '08, in which the air pollution was so bad that trying to view the long jump on the other side of the field was actually compromised by visible haze in the air. Seriously!
gh

Postby Jackaloupe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:22 pm

The highlight of the Opening Ceremonies was the retired Gymnast who circled the entire rim of the Birds Nest on a wire that luminous night.
Jackaloupe

Postby batonless relay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 am

Jackaloupe wrote:The highlight of the Opening Ceremonies was the retired Gymnast who circled the entire rim of the Birds Nest on a wire that luminous night.

That was good...but Athens had already done something similar and there were many more highlights to the 2008 Opening Ceremonies; Li Ning lighting the flame would have been about 5th or less, imo. What ranked higher? In no particular order: the drummers, the printing press, the wushu (kung fu/taichi) participants, the hidden cauldron...it was incredible.
batonless relay

Postby bambam » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:31 am

batonless relay wrote:
Jackaloupe wrote:The highlight of the Opening Ceremonies was the retired Gymnast who circled the entire rim of the Birds Nest on a wire that luminous night.

That was good...but Athens had already done something similar and there were many more highlights to the 2008 Opening Ceremonies; Li Ning lighting the flame would have been about 5th or less, imo. What ranked higher? In no particular order: the drummers, the printing press, the wushu (kung fu/taichi) participants, the hidden cauldron...it was incredible.

Yeah, 2008 Opening was incredible. Not hard to throw a pretty good party, however, when you spend $300 million doing it - that was the cost for the Opening.

As Garry stated, if you've never been to Beijing, you really can't fathom how bad the air is. You literally can't see buildings 2 blocks away.
bambam

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:40 am

I've been to most of the Olympic stadiums around the world, however I would say that my favorite Olympic stadium is Los Angeles, simply because that's where I fell in love with track and field over fifty years ago.
DoubleRBar

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:54 am

I love how ballsy the design of Munich is.
JumboElliott

Postby jhc68 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:40 pm

I don't see any mention of Barcelona. Graceful, low-profile stadium sitting on top the slope in a lovely green parkland.
jhc68